The Student Room Group

Experienced drivers (2+ years etc.), do you still drive as you were first taught?

We are all aware of 'bad habits' demonstrated by experienced drivers of 10+ years, what about you guys? Do you still check all of your blind spots, check your mirrors before indicating or slowing down etc.? I personally have a few bad habits and doubt I'd pass a driving test now. I've been driving almost every day for 3 years and have driven rurally, as well as in the city, and on motorways, as well as in all weather conditions.

I feel like this'll be interesting on how newly passed drivers adjust their driving, after having been taught to drive in a very particular way to properly shape a learner for their test.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
People go through phases. The first year or few can be erratic as people tend to push the limits a bit, but after a while people mellow out and tend to fall back into what they're taught as when you get older the "untouchable" feeling of youth fades.
As someone who would've been driving 5 years in March, I definitely don't drive the same way I was taught (at least by my instructor). I still do some of the stuff I was taught especially in areas which are new/unfamiliar but I have definitely got a little complacent and developed bad habits however these started less than 3 months after passing when driving to college daily so I guess the more comfortable you become and understand other drivers actions more the worse you get and I can nearly always spot someone who's learning or just passed as they drive completely different to the rest.

Im not sure I would pass the test now
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Well based on most people out on the roads, seems like they all follow too closely to the car in front, can’t be bothered to indicate correctly - particularly at roundabouts - and sometimes just drive slowly for no reason
Reply 4
My colleagues tell me my opinion is invalid as we all drive perfectly out of fear of being seen by an instructor.
Original post by TheDE
My colleagues tell me my opinion is invalid as we all drive perfectly out of fear of being seen by an instructor.

I've seen the way my instructor drives when he's not in lessons and its definitely not how he teaches his students, this is the same with most they know how we should drive and teach us that but in reality they have the same habits we all do, they just know how to tell people enough to pass their tests
Reply 6
You grow in competence with the controls after passing but bad habits and deliberate recklessness can be a problem. I don’t speed these days but my rear observation is not as good as it should be. I’d recommend the advanced driving test to hone good driving skills. Tuition is very cheap, compared to learning, through joining IAM or RoSPA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending