The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

IBS? Made worse by eating too much fiber?
Reply 21
How long you been eating loads of salad?
Maybe after a while your body will adjust?
Tufts
I'm eating crap loads of fibre. See above.

Yes but are you taking enough of soluble fibre as well as insoluble? :smile:
Reply 23
ffs how many times do i have to tell you, women don't fart!
Reply 24
Pepto Bismol!
Reply 25
Aack
what are you talking about - girls don't fart. They only poo tiny malteaser like pellets.

Girls don't actually poo..
Reply 26
Alreeeet
Girls don't actually poo..

I thought that too....until I saw it :eek:
The opposite happens to me... if I eat wholemeal bread instead of a salad for lunch it definately gives me gas :biggrin: but it's never happened with a salad... just wait a few more days to see if you get used to all the vegetables. When I bothered to start eating fruit properly my stomach was a bit delicate for a few days!
I was definitely thinking too much fiber, possibly combined with IBS.
4 bowls of bran flakes a day is a LOT of fibre, do you eat stuff like wholemeal bread and pasta too? and lots of fruit & veg right?
Reply 29
NDGAARONDI
Yes but are you taking enough of soluble fibre as well as insoluble? :smile:

What's the difference? :confused: :o:
Tufts
What's the difference? :confused: :o:

Insoluble fibre is usually found in cereals like All Bran and Bran Flakes which do not dissolve in water. This tends to go through the gut at a slower rate. Soluble fibre is found in fruit and vegetables, goes through the gut quicker and dissolves in water. I used to have a big bowl (which contains over a pint of water) of All Bran everyday but it wasn't too healthy for me at the time because I was taking too much insoluble fibre at once. I'm guessing a combination of this and various other nutrients which help break down food went into overdrive when you started eating salad more regularly. I'm not a medic but this is what happened to me.
Reply 31
NDGAARONDI
Insoluble fibre is usually found in cereals like All Bran and Bran Flakes which do not dissolve in water. This tends to go through the gut at a slower rate. Soluble fibre is found in fruit and vegetables, goes through the gut quicker and dissolves in water. I used to have a big bowl (which contains over a pint of water) of All Bran everyday but it wasn't too healthy for me at the time because I was taking too much insoluble fibre at once. I'm guessing a combination of this and various other nutrients which help break down food went into overdrive when you started eating salad more regularly. I'm not a medic but this is what happened to me.

I eat a lot of soluble and insoluble fibre everyday. Is this bad?
Reply 32
I would change to Coco Pops instead of your current cereal at least then when you 'pop' it'll smell better. :biggrin:
Tufts
I eat a lot of soluble and insoluble fibre everyday. Is this bad?

In excess it can be because it dehydrates you. Aim for around 20g a day (I think) but it depends on your lifestyle too.
Reply 34
I thought eating fibre was meant to stop you getting constipated, but everytime I eat even just one Weetabix for breakfast I let out really stinky ones all day :frown:
Gross, try Califig to clear the bowels.
Reply 36
wallflower2
Gross, try Califig to clear the bowels.

What's that?
Tufts
What's that?

Califig is a laxative.
u sure its not a preggo thing??
Have you tried drinking more water?

Latest