The Student Room Group

What do you think of the grading system of my uni in HK?

We run the traditional US GPA system. Our median grade is often a B- or C+. But we have honours system as well.
1st: Major courses 3.6, overall 3.4
2:1: Major courses 2.85, overall 2.7
2:2: Major courses 2.15, overall 2.0
3rd: 1.7

You can see that our median honours class is a 2:2. The 90th percentile GPA is around 3.62, a bare first for major courses, which caps the first class honours at 10% of the cohort. We have no grade inflation because of this. A 2:1 means you are above average in some modules, while a first means you are significantly above average for all your modules.

What do you think of this? Should a system like this be implemented in the UK?
(edited 2 years ago)
Seems a bit convoluted to me.
I am from Hong Kong too! The uni in Hong Kong tends to be much stricter in grades, as compared to the UK! The HK Top 3 Universities (HKU/CU/UST) are the most grade inflation resistant institution!
PolyU is also a terrible choice if you want a high GPA. Chinese speakers (mainland or SAR) tend to get about 3 C's. PolyU uses an English speaker grading scale to mark the essay in two ELC subjects for FRESHMEN, and it also deflates the grade in one CLC subject. I do not know whether US or UK universities know HK universities are serious grade deflators. The A range for other subjects is also limited.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending