The Student Room Group

A level re sits

Hi, I am resitting my A levels as got B,C,C rather than my predicted 3 A's. I went through the vet school process last year and got 3/3 interviews and was on the wait list for HK and Bristol. I got B in Maths and I am considering whether to not re sit this and to concentrate on biology and chemistry. This means that my choices will be very limited as only HK, Nottingham and Uclan would consider me with a B. Has anyone got any advice or thoughts please?
Reply 1
From a parent who has went through similar with my son - if you are able to concentrate on the biology and chemistry resits I'd advise that - you'll be able to focus more in getting the higher grades needed - we signed up with private tutors who were able to identify where he was lacking and it worked. We found that some uni's even although they will except resits will prioritise those who have achieved the grades at 1st attempt. Good luck
Original post by Wee dorian
From a parent who has went through similar with my son - if you are able to concentrate on the biology and chemistry resits I'd advise that - you'll be able to focus more in getting the higher grades needed - we signed up with private tutors who were able to identify where he was lacking and it worked. We found that some uni's even although they will except resits will prioritise those who have achieved the grades at 1st attempt. Good luck

I will say I disagree that the vet schools prioritise 1st attempts - unless they stipulate no resits like Glasgow and Edinburgh do, I don't think any vet schools look down upon resits. Having helped many applicants on here I have never seen any evidence of that. Getting the grades is simply a tick in the box that you can move onto the next stage of the admissions process for most vet schools, they don't rank applicants based on grades so I don't see where in the process resitters would be lower priority? Some may have rules like first sitting grades above a certain amount (RVC but can't remember the grades exactly) or Liverpool ask for A*AA instead of AAA, and Cambridge being Cambridge may, but besides that I don't think that's true.

I don't really have solid advise for OP - getting As in bio and chem do take priority, but for most chance to get in I'd recommend trying to apply to 4 vet schools so maybe trying for maths at the same time isn't the worst idea. Is there any gateway courses which you could apply to alongside the 3 normal ones? How confident are you in being able to improve grades?
Reply 3
Original post by RambleAmple
I will say I disagree that the vet schools prioritise 1st attempts - unless they stipulate no resits like Glasgow and Edinburgh do, I don't think any vet schools look down upon resits. Having helped many applicants on here I have never seen any evidence of that. Getting the grades is simply a tick in the box that you can move onto the next stage of the admissions process for most vet schools, they don't rank applicants based on grades so I don't see where in the process resitters would be lower priority? Some may have rules like first sitting grades above a certain amount (RVC but can't remember the grades exactly) or Liverpool ask for A*AA instead of AAA, and Cambridge being Cambridge may, but besides that I don't think that's true.

I don't really have solid advise for OP - getting As in bio and chem do take priority, but for most chance to get in I'd recommend trying to apply to 4 vet schools so maybe trying for maths at the same time isn't the worst idea. Is there any gateway courses which you could apply to alongside the 3 normal ones? How confident are you in being able to improve grades?

Thanks for the advice. I have checked and as I wouldn't lose my grade B in maths even if I did do worse in June 2024, it may be worth re sitting just to apply to another vet school (Bristol). Thanks again.....not looking forward to the whole process again! Fingers crossed for interviews!
Original post by Ozzymcfc
Thanks for the advice. I have checked and as I wouldn't lose my grade B in maths even if I did do worse in June 2024, it may be worth re sitting just to apply to another vet school (Bristol). Thanks again.....not looking forward to the whole process again! Fingers crossed for interviews!

Hi, I just thought I'd let you know that SRUC are in the process of opening a vet school and their entry requirements would be ABB. I don't think they've confirmed whether they are starting the course for 2024 entry, but it is definitely worthwhile keeping an eye on that as you might not need to resit your maths in that case.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending