The Student Room Group

Pre-Medical studies @ lancaster

Naturally its always been an innate desire to go into medicine, but loads of issues have stood in my way, eg maths gcse at grade c, dropped chemistry at as-level etc.

However i remember looking at this course last year, and considering going for it..and then deciding not to. However, although im applying for nursing this year, im thinking about going for this course, see how it goes...as i reckon its rather competitive to get in etc.

Just wondering if anyone thinks it's a good idea to get into medicine, or if its a waste of time (only 10 pupils in the year get through too the medical school) and whether other universities take on this qualification or not..

Just asking after an opinion really!

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/admissions/undergrad/factsheets/09/med.pdf - scroll down for pre-med information

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
also, has anyone here know someone/did the course themselves
do u apply through ucas for it?
Reply 3
yeah
Reply 4
It says you need maths at grade B.
Reply 5
Democracy
It says you need maths at grade B.

I know but when they went on the open day they said some people take it during that year, but only if you have english at grade b or above. Ive been to the open days, spoke to the admission tutors..but want to know the outside opinion on the course! not stating a fact...
what a levels have you done?
Reply 7
Destiny2006
what a levels have you done?

Biology
Psychology and Religous studies and photography + chemistry at as-level, i got BAA in my a-levels with the b in biology (2 marks off an a..grr)
thats annoying hate it when that happens!! will they allow you to apply even though you have chem at as level??
Reply 9
Destiny2006
thats annoying hate it when that happens!! will they allow you to apply even though you have chem at as level??

yeahhhhh...because they're open to anyone who 'doesn't have the sufficent grades or subjects to do a normal medicine route'
o righttttt i see now..im sorry its been a longgg day!! so i guess there wouldnt be any point in applying if you had an AAB prediction lol
Destiny2006
o righttttt i see now..im sorry its been a longgg day!! so i guess there wouldnt be any point in applying if you had an AAB prediction lol

ive already got the grades

why would there be no point? im not going to get into medicine as i havn't got a) gcse maths at grade b, b) chemistry at a-level c) biology a-level to an a grade....so this seems a good route...
i didnt mean that about you!!! sorry if that came across in the wrong way...i meant iv got aab prediction in business eco and bio and did as level chem. so applyin for foundation
If you can't hack AS Chemistry, how do you expect to do a degree in Medicine. I do believe that Medicine contains a lot of it. Maybe the current Medics could agree/disagree with me to give a more informed post.
not a case of not being able to hack it just preferred other subjects
Speedbird2008
If you can't hack AS Chemistry, how do you expect to do a degree in Medicine. I do believe that Medicine contains a lot of it. Maybe the current Medics could agree/disagree with me to give a more informed post.

I was after HELPFUL advice...I got an A in as chemistry but dropped it as at the time i decided not to do medicine as i saw it as a waste of time that i wouldnt get in etc as i didnt think i'd get a b in biology
Speedbird2008

Without wanting to steal the current medic's thunder or whatnot, from what I've understood over the years both on here and in open days and whatnot is that chemistry really doesn't play that much of an important role in Medicine...
Reply 17
Speedbird2008

:rolleyes:
Democracy
Without wanting to steal the current medic's thunder or whatnot, from what I've understood over the years both on here and in open days and whatnot is that chemistry really doesn't play that much of an important role in Medicine...

That and the reason i want to do the diploma to increase my skills because i didnt DO chemistry a-level...jeez..

I'd rather have advice from those who're studying really..not little boys like speedbird.
anna_spanner89

I'd rather have advice from those who're studying really..not little boys like speedbird.

"Oh come on, the kid's alright"

Latest

Trending

Trending