The Student Room Group

On this Day in History

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Vapordave
20th December
1812: "Grimm's Fairy Tales" or "Children's and Household Tales" by Jacob Grimm and Wilhelm Grimm is first published.

these always seemed to be for an older audience
radium discovered in 1898, dec. 21.
Marie and Pierre Curie
December, 22nd:

1885: The samurai Ito Hirobumi becomes the first Prime Minister of Japan.

1894: The Dreyfus affair begins in France. The Jew was wrongly accused because of treason, but acquitted of charge (antisemitism).
Original post by da_nolo
these always seemed to be for an older audience

It is. The Grimm's fairy tales were written in the 19th century and really sounds so. Some of these ended up weird, some brutal and another some in turn with a "happy end" (what can be considered as such...:rolleyes:). My grandparents even know this book and they were born in the 20s of the 20th century!
Original post by Kallisto
It is. The Grimm's fairy tales were written in the 19th century and really sounds so. Some of these ended up weird, some brutal and another some in turn with a "happy end" (what can be considered as such...:rolleyes:). My grandparents even know this book and they were born in the 20s of the 20th century!

yeah my wife (1980) shared them with me. I got freaked out lol.
Original post by Napp
Not when they presuppose complete nonsense...

I'm not sure why you're listing these points at me as they have nothing to do with anything i've said...

They aren't complete nonsense.

And those are some points about Soviet blunders during the Stalingrad battle.

Enough so that if you remove the blunders, Soviets were actually capable of destroying Army Group South.

Had 5th Tank Army not attacked piecemeal, overwhelming the Germans on the Chir, and 2nd Guards not diverted, it's plausible Rostov would be taken. That would doom Army Group South, and throw the Germans back to the Dnieper

Add that to a potential encirclement of 9th Army in Rzhev and you get something that throws the Germans all the way to early Dec 1943 frontlines.
And the Germans would be too damaged to even launch something like Battle of Kursk, had 9th Army and Army Group South had fallen.

Not that related:
OTL the Allies came very close to Tunis, Had the Allies reached Tunis it would be game over for the escape route of Africa Korps.
It could've been possible had the 'Eastern option' been chosen for Torch.
Original post by da_nolo
yeah my wife (1980) shared them with me. I got freaked out lol.

I am surprised that Grimm's fairy tales have such a great range that it is even known out of the German frontiers. :lol: I personally don't know British fairy tales. :rolleyes:
Reply 27
Original post by justlearning1469
They aren't complete nonsense.

And those are some points about Soviet blunders during the Stalingrad battle.

Enough so that if you remove the blunders, Soviets were actually capable of destroying Army Group South.

Had 5th Tank Army not attacked piecemeal, overwhelming the Germans on the Chir, and 2nd Guards not diverted, it's plausible Rostov would be taken. That would doom Army Group South, and throw the Germans back to the Dnieper

Add that to a potential encirclement of 9th Army in Rzhev and you get something that throws the Germans all the way to early Dec 1943 frontlines.
And the Germans would be too damaged to even launch something like Battle of Kursk, had 9th Army and Army Group South had fallen.

Not that related:
OTL the Allies came very close to Tunis, Had the Allies reached Tunis it would be game over for the escape route of Africa Korps.
It could've been possible had the 'Eastern option' been chosen for Torch.

Pray tell how theyre not? theyre not backed up with facts and at best theyre abusing hindsight.
Again, why are you rattling on about the Soviets for no apparent reason?! :s-smilie:
24th December, 6 Anno Domini:

Jesus Christ, the saviour of the World, was born. In this sense: Merry christmas!

(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Napp
Pray tell how theyre not? theyre not backed up with facts and at best theyre abusing hindsight.
Again, why are you rattling on about the Soviets for no apparent reason?! :s-smilie:

'theyre not backed up with facts and at best theyre abusing hindsight'

(https://www.historynet.com/study-command-general-balcks-chir-river-battles-1942.htm)
"If 5th Tank Army had attacked with all of its corps simultaneously across the Chir, the Germans could not have stopped them."
This is referring to the Chir battles from late-November to mid-December. Is it 'nonsense' to believe that had 5th Tank Army concentrated its forces, they could've breached the Chir? That's what they were supposed to do for Operation Saturn.
And also taking Morozovsk and Tatsinskaya.

For winter storm: "The Soviets were forewarned of the impending German assault when they discovered the 6th Panzer Division unloading at the town of Morozovsk and held back several armies from the attack on the lower Chir River to prepare for a possible breakout attempt by German forces inside Stalingrad." Erickson (1983), p. 11

Dec 13, the Germans were stuck at Verkhne-Kumskiy until Dec 19 when Hünersdorff Group dashed towards the Myshkova, securing a bridgehead.
(https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/history/panzer-division-6th-unternehmen-wintergewitter/)
That group was mainly tanks, and couldn't advance further any more.
And that was without using 2nd Guards Army until Dec 19. 5th Shock and 51st Army alone could've handled the relief attempt, there was no need for 2nd Guards Army.

Operation Saturn was planned for 6th Army, 1st Guards, 2nd Guards, 3rd Guards and 5th Tank Army. Diverting 2nd Guards meant they had to shrink Saturn to Little Saturn.
A successful Saturn would destroy most of the southern front.

'Again, why are you rattling on about the Soviets for no apparent reason?!'
Because they made several blunders, quite a few of them obvious. They were still incompetent, their victories were despite their still frequent incompetence.
Germany could only win if Russia kept self-harming itself. And a strategy which relies on the enemy hanging themselves is a piece of bullcrap.
(edited 2 years ago)
'theyre not backed up with facts and at best theyre abusing hindsight'

(https://www.historynet.com/study-command-general-balcks-chir-river-battles-1942.htm)
"If 5th Tank Army had attacked with all of its corps simultaneously across the Chir, the Germans could not have stopped them."
This is referring to the Chir battles from late-November to mid-December. Is it 'nonsense' to believe that had 5th Tank Army concentrated its forces, they could've breached the Chir? That's what they were supposed to do for Operation Saturn.
And also taking Morozovsk and Tatsinskaya.

For winter storm: "The Soviets were forewarned of the impending German assault when they discovered the 6th Panzer Division unloading at the town of Morozovsk and held back several armies from the attack on the lower Chir River to prepare for a possible breakout attempt by German forces inside Stalingrad." Erickson (1983), p. 11

Dec 13, the Germans were stuck at Verkhne-Kumskiy until Dec 19 when Hünersdorff Group dashed towards the Myshkova, securing a bridgehead.
(https://worldoftanks.asia/en/news/history/panzer-division-6th-unternehmen-wintergewitter/)
That group was mainly tanks, and couldn't advance further any more.
And that was without using 2nd Guards Army until Dec 19. 5th Shock and 51st Army alone could've handled the relief attempt, there was no need for 2nd Guards Army.

Operation Saturn was planned for 6th Army, 1st Guards, 2nd Guards, 3rd Guards and 5th Tank Army. Diverting 2nd Guards meant they had to shrink Saturn to Little Saturn.
A successful Saturn would destroy most of the southern front.

'Again, why are you rattling on about the Soviets for no apparent reason?!'
Because they made several blunders, quite a few of them obvious. They were still incompetent, their victories were despite their still frequent incompetence.
Germany could only win if Russia kept self-harming itself. And a strategy which relies on the enemy hanging themselves is a piece of bullcrap.

Please look at post #19. You are spoiling the thread.
December 26
2004: 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and edges of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people.

December 26
2004: 9.3 magnitude earthquake creates a tsunami causing devastation in Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, the Maldives and edges of the Indian Ocean, killing 230,000 people.

Exactly 17 years ago - and I can't remember. It is terrible how indifferent the hardship of people is after a long while. :frown:

It is alright that you gave a reminder.
January 2
1906: Willis Carrier receives a US patent for the world's first air conditioner
January 3
1521: Martin Luther is excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church by Pope Leo x for failing to recant parts of his Ninety-five Theses which started the Protestant Reformation.

January 4
1642: King Charles I with 400 soldiers attacks the English parliament.
(edited 2 years ago)
January 8
871: Battle of Ashdown: Ethelred I of Wessex and his brother Alfred the Great beat invading Danish army.
January 3
1521: Martin Luther is excommunicated from the Roman Catholic Church by Pope Leo x for failing to recant parts of his Ninety-five Theses which started the Protestant Reformation.

He has an important meaning for us in Germany: thanks to his criticism at the Catholics, standard German became the common language for all Germans.
January 10
1943: Operation Koltso (Ring) has finally started despite incompetent delays and excuses from the Soviets. For all its flaws, this operation eventually led to the surrender of 6th Army in Feb 1943. It couldn't have gone differently.

On Dec 2 1942 Soviets attacked the pocket, managed to bruise the 6th Army.
The Dec 8 attack almost managed to unhinge Paulus' defences. That would encircle and eliminate the western part of the pocket, and threaten the defence of the pocket. Unfortunately it didn't succeed, which is why the Soviets held back like scaredy cats.
January 10
1943: Operation Koltso (Ring) has finally started despite incompetent delays and excuses from the Soviets. For all its flaws, this operation eventually led to the surrender of 6th Army in Feb 1943. It couldn't have gone differently.

On Dec 2 1942 Soviets attacked the pocket, managed to bruise the 6th Army.
The Dec 8 attack almost managed to unhinge Paulus' defences. That would encircle and eliminate the western part of the pocket, and threaten the defence of the pocket. Unfortunately it didn't succeed, which is why the Soviets held back like scaredy cats.

Oh god, not again! Hopefully this is your last attempt to ruin this thread until the final surrender?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending