The Student Room Group

Did you genuinely enjoy Game of Thrones?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by miser
I enjoyed it but not enough to watch it again. It could've been amazing but they rushed it and it stopped making sense. Especially the last few episodes.

Agreed. Felt the exact same with Lost as well.
Reply 21
Original post by Reue
Agreed. Felt the exact same with Lost as well.

Lost was a different problem in my opinion. Abrams and Lindelof assured for years that every question they created had an answer, that they had the ending all planned out, but that turned out to be lies. They asked too many questions but couldn't deliver on the answers.

They also denied for years that it was purgatory, then they basically turned it into purgatory. They were liars who abused the trust of their audience in my opinion.

That being said Lost is one of my favourite TV shows and I re-watch it every few years. While it has its flaws it's still an outstanding drama with a coherent (albeit convoluted) story and well-executed character arcs, unlike Game of Thrones which meandered about for years, didn't even try to answer its questions, broke characterisation, and delivered an ending that was unsatisfying on basically every front.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I enjoyed the books but given that there doesn’t seem to be any date as to when the next books I released (correct me if I’m wrong please), I have no motivation to continue reading them. I don’t like being left on cliff hangers for an indefinite amount of time.

GRRM shared a somewhat 'sneak peak' for the next book but it's all just BS. In my opinion he'll never release the rest as his books tend to be 700 pages at the very least, that, and he's getting quite old.
Reply 23
Up to season 7. 7 just has so little redeeming moments and a lot of garbage.

Season 8 was just 6 episodes of torture.
I liked it best early on felt like medieval drama

I liked the "lots of talking" that others hated
No, which is why I stopped watching it somewhere towards the end of the third season :tongue:

It got to the point where it was pretty clear the writers only had one trick, which became a gimmick, and that was "kill everyone". After a couple times it became tedious and made it less worthwhile to become invested in any characters, which is somewhat contrary to the point of any narrative. By revealing their ace in the hole so early they ended up committing the cardinal sin of TV programming - they made it boring, by way of becoming expected (that is, expecting the "unexpected" i.e. random character death, either literally or figuratively in terms of the characterisation).
I started it a few years back, then gave up after a couple of episodes. Came back to it again about a year later and watched it all the way through. I found the first 2 seasons difficult, but from Season 3 onwards I started to enjoy it more. Particularly from big events like the Red Wedding and the death of Joffrey - this is where the series started to get more exciting IMO. Seasons 4 through 6 were consistent, then 7 was the best season IMO because it set the stakes so high. But I agree that Season 8 didn't do justice to all the plot points they had been building to for years. It was too short, underwhelming and had a controversial ending that I didn't agree with. Could have been much better but for those few seasons in the middle it's worth a watch once. I'm not that much of a fan that I would watch it again in higher resolution - I'm happy to wait for the LOTR series that Amazon are developing and follow that instead.
Watched a few episodes when I would spend weekends with my ex gf... Wasn't really a fan, found it a bit boring really.
Original post by Joleee
never watched an episode but seen stuff in the news which lead me to YouTube clips i think? :curious: nah, not for me but i'm also a conservation Christian so maybe that explains it

may i ask what that is ? :smile:
Reply 29
In the main, yes

It was hardly intellectual. The sort of thing I could 'watch' with my brain switched off, and for me, there is a base value to that
The first episode I ever watched just had to be Joffrey dying. I watched another episode after that and realised this **** ain't for me. I'm kinda glad I didn't get invested in it because if the finale was that terrible then I know I would've stayed mad for a long time

Quick Reply

Latest