The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL 2022 Management Science BSc - Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Indeed I replied only to half of your question lol. The APS is indeed a series of questions focusing on data, tech, and companies. Don't know if everyone has the same.

Yep - What did you apply for elsewhere?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
What is everyones predicted grades like? + What did you write your PS about as I know many don't write about MS
Yep - What did you apply for elsewhere?

Didn't mean to reply anonymously :smile:
I got an offer from Warwick in International Management. I was rejected from Oxford econ&management. I've also applied for Management in LSE & KCL, still waiting. What about you?
Original post by huza21
clown.

Going to learn the hard way mate :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by ElderlyMedic
Going to learn the hard way mate :biggrin:

So what do you recommend? Are there any degrees that you recommend, or are you against higher education altogether? Apprentices maybe, or do you disapprove of those also?
Didn't mean to reply anonymously :smile:
I got an offer from Warwick in International Management. I was rejected from Oxford econ&management. I've also applied for Management in LSE & KCL, still waiting. What about you?

Nice. I did KCL, Durham, Edinburgh and QM.
Original post by lalexm
So what do you recommend? Are there any degrees that you recommend, or are you against higher education altogether? Apprentices maybe, or do you disapprove of those also?

Apprenticeships are the best way to go, but they are quite rare. I would avoid overly general degrees filled with irrelevant trivia from 15 years ago and useless math to make it look difficult. Try to figure out what you want to do for living first.
Reply 27
Apprenticeships are the best way to go, but they are quite rare. I would avoid overly general degrees filled with irrelevant trivia from 15 years ago and useless math to make it look difficult. Try to figure out what you want to do for living first.

It is strange that you are targeting maths, when maths graduates are at the very top of the list of UK pay, along with medics/vets/econ.

I think most students don't really care if the specific things they learn on their uni courses are used in their careers, as long as their degrees open doors for them, which in most cases they will, or at least more doors will be open to them with a degree than without.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by lalexm
It is strange that you are targeting maths, when maths graduates are at the very top of the list of UK pay, along with medics/vets/econ.

I think most students don't really care if the specific things they learn on their uni courses are used in their careers, as long as their degrees open doors for them, which in most cases they will, or at least more doors will be open to them with a degree than without.

Very few people actually use math at work. It's really rare, pretty much everyone uses third party products/tools that do the math on their behalf and to be honest they do it much better than they ever could. You cannot outperform those tools. You would be literally competing with Google, SAGE or Microsoft.
In finance it is not allowed to build your own stuff at all, even spreadsheets get you fired. UDAs are reason for instant dismissal. Because it does causes way more harm than good.

Only place on the planet where you need any random degree of any kind to get in is the Civil Service, there, you will spend the rest of your life in overcrowded office filling in the same tax rebate answer sheet over and over again.

You would be surprised how many executives started as random admin drones, forklift driver or cleaners and worked their way up.

Also, I would be careful when it comes to random pseudo stats about pay rates per degree, most of it will be based on self reports or just straight made up.
Reply 29
Very few people actually use math at work. It's really rare, pretty much everyone uses third party products/tools that do the math on their behalf and to be honest they do it much better than they ever could. You cannot outperform those tools. You would be literally competing with Google, SAGE or Microsoft.
In finance it is not allowed to build your own stuff at all, even spreadsheets get you fired. UDAs are reason for instant dismissal. Because it does causes way more harm than good.

Only place on the planet where you need any random degree of any kind to get in is the Civil Service, there, you will spend the rest of your life in overcrowded office filling in the same tax rebate answer sheet over and over again.

You would be surprised how many executives started as random admin drones, forklift driver or cleaners and worked their way up.

Also, I would be careful when it comes to random pseudo stats about pay rates per degree, most of it will be based on self reports or just straight made up.

Agree that most people do not directly use the specifics of what leaned at uni, but over the course of your career, the pay differential for grads significantly outweighs the uni debt, and most people enjoy their uni years, so I would not discourage anyone from going. At uni you also mature, and develop skills beyond the specific course content.

We have derailed this thread though. Sorry UCL applicants. BTW, I graduated from UCL civil engineering, but that was many years ago.
has anyone gotten offers yet?
has anyone gotten offers yet?

Nope...just the email that said that they will wait till 26th Jan before giving any offers
Nope...just the email that said that they will wait till 26th Jan before giving any offers

Same, waiting is really a tiring and frustrating process
Anyone know when did last year's MS start distributing offers, just want to have an idea in mind? I am applying for MS as well, I submitted the ADS on October.
Original post by +sunshine
Same, waiting is really a tiring and frustrating process

And nerve wracking
Original post by +sunshine
Anyone know when did last year's MS start distributing offers, just want to have an idea in mind? I am applying for MS as well, I submitted the ADS on October.

This was last years spreadsheet (in first post)
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6473144
But there aren't many Management Science responses. Most of the ones that are there seem to be late April. (omg, that's actually so late)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by tomato_juice
This was last years spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
But there aren't many Management Science responses. Most of the ones that are there seem to be late April. (omg, that's actually so late)

hey i can’t seem to open the spreadsheet there seems to be some error
hey i can’t seem to open the spreadsheet there seems to be some error

Oh, this should work I think, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ItzulahYxA5wBh0ndl8xhxwuP5VJLayvQI0N-yjQdxU/edit?usp=sharing
I am getting stressed now..a lot of people are getting offers and there is so much movement on the other thread..man.sci. is completely dead..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending