The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship alongside masters degree

Hello,

I'm currently studying a full time masters degree. I don't attend lectures so my only commitment is the assignments roughly once or twice a month. It is going well however I want to use my time to work towards something that i actually want to go into.

I have been offered an apprenticeship beginning in January 2022 however my master's does not end until September 2022.

Would it be possible to begin the apprenticeship without giving up my master's degree as I'm confident that i could balancefull time work alongside my assignments? Would there also be an issue with funding as i believe both are government funded? Would any one actually know?

Thanks for any help x
Reply 1
Original post by Baxter12E
Hello,

I'm currently studying a full time masters degree. I don't attend lectures so my only commitment is the assignments roughly once or twice a month. It is going well however I want to use my time to work towards something that i actually want to go into.

I have been offered an apprenticeship beginning in January 2022 however my master's does not end until September 2022.

Would it be possible to begin the apprenticeship without giving up my master's degree as I'm confident that i could balancefull time work alongside my assignments? Would there also be an issue with funding as i believe both are government funded? Would any one actually know?

Thanks for any help x

What level is the apprenticeship?
Reply 2
Original post by O_O.
What level is the apprenticeship?

Level 4 however i have also been offered a level 3 position in a different role
Reply 3
Original post by Baxter12E
Level 4 however i have also been offered a level 3 position in a different role

i think if its as you said and you dont have many commitments for your masters other than the assignments then it should be manageable for you.

There shouldn't be an issue with funding afaik but you should definetely double check with the perosn employing you. I'm assuming the apprenticeship is in a different field to the ones youve studied in.

Out of curiosity, how come you decided to do an apprenticeship? You seem ok with your masters and usually I hear it from people who dont like what theyre studying/want a career change
Reply 4
Original post by O_O.
Out of curiosity, how come you decided to do an apprenticeship? You seem ok with your masters and usually I hear it from people who dont like what theyre studying/want a career change

I'm currently studying psychology, i really enjoy the content but i have absolutely no desire to go into the field as an academic or as a psychologist 🤷 if i don't tap out now then it would mean doing a phd purely for interest before finally moving out of it. Part of me feels foolish for going through the undergrad and MSc purely for fun but I also don't mind because i actually enjoyed it and now i can focus on a career that i actually do desire
Reply 5
Hi Badges, I hope you are doing well. Have you manage to do the apprenticeship alongside with your master? were you able to mantain you student finance loan to pay for your master, and still get funding for the apprenticeship? I am in the same situation. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending