The Student Room Group

How do I explain about non-degree options are worthwhile again?

Okay, my mother has an academic job. I bombed my undergrad and hated my masters. So I dropped. Career opportunities are rubbish. After getting out tertiary education for good. I figured my potential and was better off not to uni all along and I am better off doing a Level4 Apprenticeship. 2 years ago I tried to ask her about freelancing she got female doggy about and refuses to do. 5 min research on apprenticeships. Her husband thinks, all apprenticeships are the same. I found a freelancing area I am capable of. Update: I do know how to get my name out there.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Research the role you desire to apply for. Then research how to get there. What qualifications do you need? Do you need to have any side projects to show your experience? Do you have the knowledge to make them?

If not, what courses (there are free ones as well as those you pay) do you need to do? Are you able to complete it alongside your other responsibilities?

If your looking into apprenticeships, look onto the pros and cons. See how they can be applied to your daily life. First show to your mother that you have thought it out and have a plan of how your going to get to your ideal role. However, this is mainly fir yourself as well. Considering how you stated you have dropped your masters, you are at an age where you can make decisions yourself. Where do you want to be in a couple of years time, and how are you going to get there?

Whilst I understand the need to gain a parents approval and understanding, make sure you understand it first. This is because at the end of the day, you are the one living your life, and whilst it can be nice to follow what others plan for you, that isn't necessarily the right way.

On a last note, seeing as how you know how to get your name out there, do it. Prove to not only your parents but yourself that what your saying is correct. Show them that you don't necessarily need a degree to be successful.
I would recommend downloading LinkedIn and putting up your resume on linkedin, one of my best friends is starting an apprenticeship he found on linkedin with Microsoft(he wanted a compsci internship) in June
Reply 3
Original post by legendary-spectr
Research the role you desire to apply for. Then research how to get there. What qualifications do you need? Do you need to have any side projects to show your experience? Do you have the knowledge to make them?
If not, what courses (there are free ones as well as those you pay) do you need to do? Are you able to complete it alongside your other responsibilities?
If your looking into apprenticeships, look onto the pros and cons. See how they can be applied to your daily life. First show to your mother that you have thought it out and have a plan of how your going to get to your ideal role. However, this is mainly fir yourself as well. Considering how you stated you have dropped your masters, you are at an age where you can make decisions yourself. Where do you want to be in a couple of years time, and how are you going to get there?
Whilst I understand the need to gain a parents approval and understanding, make sure you understand it first. This is because at the end of the day, you are the one living your life, and whilst it can be nice to follow what others plan for you, that isn't necessarily the right way.
On a last note, seeing as how you know how to get your name out there, do it. Prove to not only your parents but yourself that what your saying is correct. Show them that you don't necessarily need a degree to be successful.

I'm looking into reapplying for SWE apprenticeships again. I have built up a small portfolio in this niche area.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending