The Student Room Group

Official Veterinary Medicine Applicants thread 2024 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Milliewest2
Thanks. I am in Buckinghamshire/north west London area. I have got my references from the places I have done so far and I don’t think any of the unis I am thinking of require lambing specifically. Thanks !

Thats great! There is a wildlife hospital near me if you were interested. Its called vale wildlife hospital. You have to pay to go (its a charity) but they have accommodation on site (extra money) and a full time vet, rooms for various animals, a triage room, a vet consultation rule etc! As long as they dont require lambing you'll be fine! I always recommend trying to get enough placements to apply to the uni with the highest requirements even if you aren't applying to go there as it means you have the most choices
Turns out i may be able to get some lambing after all ! An opportunity has come up but I am calling them on monday to talk about it :smile: if i do end up lambing does anyone have any tips as i have never done anything like that
Turns out i may be able to get some lambing after all ! An opportunity has come up but I am calling them on monday to talk about it :smile: if i do end up lambing does anyone have any tips as i have never done anything like that

Yes! So I’m a current vet student. My main thing is be keen to learn and if you are unsure always ask. Even if you think it’s silly it’s better to ask and not do something wrong. I recommend suncream, lots of tablets just in case, snacks that can be put in pockets, waterproofs, multiple layers, a hat/eat hat! Having your own pocket knife to open things can be helpful but isn’t neccisary!
Original post by cindy4848
Hiii! Does volunteering on a farm with sheep, cows, pigs etc count as lambing? It’s mixed so I’m not sure if it can counts as dairy/lambing

I know you didn’t ask me but I think it depends on what you do, if you are lambing for most of it then yeah. I have work at a mixed farm inc sheep but that would just count as general farm experience
Original post by cindy4848
Hiii! Does volunteering on a farm with sheep, cows, pigs etc count as lambing? It’s mixed so I’m not sure if it can counts as dairy/lambing

No. If it is just working with the animals then no. If you spend your time actually lambing (like actually birthing the lambs) then yes it can be classed a lambing
-A chance for 2024 vet med applicants to chat about work experience, applying to uni, uni visits and general vet med
Feel free to introduce yourselves everyone! I'm a year 12 student doing biology, chemistry, maths and an EPQ. I'll be applying for the d100 5 year vet med course.
Work experience wise, I have a placement at an equine vets next week, lambing in Easter holidays, small animal vets in July and I volunteer at a mixed animal rescue for 3 hours every Saturday.
I believe there is this little thread for 2024 applicants, although it's still quite small as I imagine people will be coming on here more a bit later in the year.
Hey! Im graduating this year looking to apply for 2024 entry D100 and D102 (hopefully an offer for D102 though!!)
So far I have lambing, cattery, stables, and 2 small clinics.
What unis are you hoping to apply to?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by TrixieMeow
Hey! Im graduating this year looking to apply for 2024 entry D100 and D102 (hopefully an offer for D102 though!!)

RVC is definitely my top choice, and I'll be looking at Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Surrey too! Obviously we can only choose 4 for ucas so I'll have to knock one of those off the list but want to visit them first!
Original post by georgenringo
Hey I know this is a while off but I wanted to start a thread for anyone in current year 11, hoping to apply for vet med in 2024! Introduce yourselves below!!

Hi! There's now a 2024 Veterinary Applicants thread which I think will be the main chat for 2024 people. It'll be nice to chat work experience and visiting unis with some others

Ooh I'd love some tips for lambing as a pre-vet student, I'm going in April and am quite nervous as I have no experience lambing!
Original post by Anna.joy.charles
Hi! There's now a 2024 Veterinary Applicants thread which I think will be the main chat for 2024 people. It'll be nice to chat work experience and visiting unis with some others

Please could you post the link on here x
RVC is definitely my top choice, and I'll be looking at Bristol, Liverpool, Nottingham and Surrey too! Obviously we can only choose 4 for ucas so I'll have to knock one of those off the list but want to visit them first!

Exciting!! I've had a look at RVC and it's my top choice too! Im thinking Bristol and not sure where else yet
Ooh I'd love some tips for lambing as a pre-vet student, I'm going in April and am quite nervous as I have no experience lambing!

Honestly I was nervous too as I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily the farmers I was with were really nice. They said they liked that I was chatty and asking a lot of questions as they've had students come and just stand around not really seeming that interested in what they are doing so I guess just get as much out of it knowledge wise as you can, this will also help if you need to talk about work experience in your interviews. Id also say to just watch what they are showing you and take the initiative to reflect that such as keeping the general area clean when there are free moments. The farm you're with may run differently to mine but I think overall they just enjoy having students who are eager to learn and get stuck in which I'm sure you are anyway :smile: I brought a notebook along with me too so I could keep notes on everything I saw and did!
Please could you post the link on here x

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7315000&p=98117183#post98117183

Hope that works!
Honestly I was nervous too as I wasn't sure what to expect. Luckily the farmers I was with were really nice. They said they liked that I was chatty and asking a lot of questions as they've had students come and just stand around not really seeming that interested in what they are doing so I guess just get as much out of it knowledge wise as you can, this will also help if you need to talk about work experience in your interviews. Id also say to just watch what they are showing you and take the initiative to reflect that such as keeping the general area clean when there are free moments. The farm you're with may run differently to mine but I think overall they just enjoy having students who are eager to learn and get stuck in which I'm sure you are anyway :smile: I brought a notebook along with me too so I could keep notes on everything I saw and did!

Thanks for all the tips!
Hi all, switching to this thread as I have received 4/4 rejections for 2023 entry, so I’m taking a gap year and reapplying for 2024 entry. I’m currently a year 13 A-Level student studying biology, chemistry and maths, and I did an EPQ in year 12 (A*) and I’m predicted A*AA.
In terms of work experience: I have 2 weeks clinical practice, 8 weeks at a small farm, I did some online experience too, and I occasionally volunteer with the RSPCA

Feel free to introduce yourselves everyone! I'm a year 12 student doing biology, chemistry, maths and an EPQ. I'll be applying for the d100 5 year vet med course.
Work experience wise, I have a placement at an equine vets next week, lambing in Easter holidays, small animal vets in July and I volunteer at a mixed animal rescue for 3 hours every Saturday.
Original post by Kat_jan17
Hi all, switching to this thread as I have received 4/4 rejections for 2023 entry, so I’m taking a gap year and reapplying for 2024 entry. I’m currently a year 13 A-Level student studying biology, chemistry and maths, and I did an EPQ in year 12 (A*) and I’m predicted A*AA.
In terms of work experience: I have 2 weeks clinical practice, 8 weeks at a small farm, I did some online experience too, and I occasionally volunteer with the RSPCA

Hey!! Good luck in all your exams! What are your plans for your year out? And where are you hoping to apply next cycle?
Hey!! Good luck in all your exams! What are your plans for your year out? And where are you hoping to apply next cycle?

Thank you! Not exactly sure what I’m going to do, as I wasn’t planning on taking a year out, and I’m still processing the latest application cycle 😅. I’m definitely going to apply to Liverpool again, possibly HK and I’m not sure for the others :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending