The Student Room Group

rip the first gen legal influencers

So as per the latest Legal Cheek news... (oh yes I do read those, love that gossip)

Eve Cornwell (ex-Linklaters Corporate M&A NQ... for 3 months) is now a "product manager" at a legal startup

Chrissie Wolfe (ex-associate in the Irwin Mitchell catastrophic injury team) left to set up some kind of diversity/recruitment consultant thing

What can we learn from these?

Be careful from being attracted to the industry based on a few curated posts and tours with lawyers. Especially if you want to work at a sweatshop like Linklaters or similar. Seen too many "this inspired me to do the GDL/LPC/apply for TCs" comments on their videos.

Following on from the above: for the love of Christ stop following legal influencers that aren't trainees and have no idea about what working in the legal profession is like.

Getting a TC at firm X or Y doesn't mean you'll be a good trainee/associate. Don't be fooled into thinking these people are demigods. For all you know they're getting average appraisals and won't be qualifying into their preferred seats or getting a secondment.

Be realistic about how long law is going to last for you. Eve and Chrissie were perfectly qualified for the jobs they applied for. They both moved on fairly quickly (Chrissie did admittedly hold out for a bit longer). Read up on the exit opps for law and compare them to the other careers you're thinking about.

Money isn't everything. Lawyers live middle class lifestyles like everyone else. The day to day isn't that different.

Pay attention to things like this: "with 5+ years of study and work under my belt, the idea of walking away from a career that had become merged with my sense of purpose, self-identity and achievement was terrifying". Very common for ambitious young'uns in law and other top jobs. Guilty of this myself.

Beware the sycophants. Legal influencers are surrounded by their colleagues and Linkedin wh*res who are on their best behaviour. The only people who would criticise them are applying for TCs or have a reputation of their own to protect. That means that no one is going to come forward and make a video calling them out.

If it doesn't work out, there is always going to be room in some pokey [delete as appropriate][recruitment consultancy][legal tech startup][diversity forum] where humanities graduates can work 9-5 for the rest of their lives on a trainee-level salary :h:

with that said, 'night all

Italics removed following moderator request.
(edited 2 years ago)
Her referring to herself as a woman in STEM is like a janitor at Google saying they work in tech.
Reply 2
Totally agree. I was one of them who fell for her content esp as I wasn't sure what degree I wanted to do so I ended up going for a law degree with a career as a solicitor in mind. Stopped after 4 months for personal reasons but also realising it wasn't for me. Eve never EVER talked about what she *actually* did in her job, nor why she was supposedly passionate about it, or even things like her favourite/interesting cases during her degree (re the former yes, a lot of it is confidential, but you can also phrase things in ways that don't give away confidentiality, and they are allowed to talk about certain deals once they are finished) yet the hype and flashiness she created around it reeled me in naïvely. As well as falling for the prestige and status of the degree and job that she over-promoted. In reality, although some bits of a law degree are interesting, I found that a lot of it is dull and incredibly pedantic. I don't care whether an object in a house is a fixture or a chattel, or whether Mrs O'Grady contract was legally binding or just an invitation to treat, nor the ins and outs of Company A buying Company B. Nor do I really fancy being a handsomely paid paper-pusher in a corporate sweatshop and having barely any free time left for myself.

So yeah. Good advice there @Augustino D

(Original post by Augustino D)So as per the latest Legal Cheek news... (oh yes I do read those, love that gossip)

Eve Cornwell (ex-Linklaters Corporate M&A NQ... for 3 months) is now a "product manager" at a legal startup

Chrissie Wolfe (ex-associate in the Irwin Mitchell catastrophic injury team) left to set up some kind of diversity/recruitment consultant thing

What can we learn from these?

Be careful from being attracted to the industry based on a few curated posts and tours with lawyers. Especially if you want to work at a sweatshop like Linklaters or similar. Seen too many "this inspired me to do the GDL/LPC/apply for TCs" comments on their videos.

Following on from the above: for the love of Christ stop following legal influencers that aren't trainees and have no idea about what working in the legal profession is like.

Getting a TC at firm X or Y doesn't mean you'll be a good trainee/associate. Don't be fooled into thinking these people are demigods. For all you know they're getting average appraisals and won't be qualifying into their preferred seats or getting a secondment.

Be realistic about how long law is going to last for you. Eve and Chrissie were perfectly qualified for the jobs they applied for. They both moved on fairly quickly (Chrissie did admittedly hold out for a bit longer). Read up on the exit opps for law and compare them to the other careers you're thinking about.

Money isn't everything. Lawyers live middle class lifestyles like everyone else. The day to day isn't that different.

Pay attention to things like this: "with 5+ years of study and work under my belt, the idea of walking away from a career that had become merged with my sense of purpose, self-identity and achievement was terrifying". Very common for ambitious young'uns in law and other top jobs. Guilty of this myself.

Beware the sycophants. Legal influencers are surrounded by their colleagues and Linkedin wh*res who are on their best behaviour. The only people who would criticise them are applying for TCs or have a reputation of their own to protect. That means that no one is going to come forward and make a video calling them out.

If it doesn't work out, there is always going to be room in some pokey [delete as appropriate][recruitment consultancy][legal tech startup][diversity forum] where humanities graduates can work 9-5 for the rest of their lives on a trainee-level salary :h:

with that said, 'night all

Italics removed following moderator request.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending