The Student Room Group

Teaching-style at kings

I'm just trying to do some research on the medicine at kings and am trying to find out what the teaching style is there, i.e. is it PBL or lecture based?
I have always thought that it was a mixture of the two which is why it appealed to me but looking on the website, there isn't anything that explicitly says this. I was just hoping if a medic student there (or anyone else) could just confirm what it is. The website says that it integrates teaching with clinical settings from the first year? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Most of the unis (inc. kings) use a mixture of the two. Some use PBL more than others.
Reply 2
Could any current King's students, or anyone who knows more, give a bit more details about the course structure at King's, other than what you can find on the prospectus/website? I had difficulty finding an answer to whether it is more Integrated or PBL, and wanted to know if there is there a clear divide between the two? Or do you still get a bit of PBL here and there?

thanks
Reply 3
LOL f*** me I just made exactly the same thread a minute ago, its even worded similarly!

@shahrukh24: Have you got an interview at King's?
Teaching is based on a variety of techniques: small group teaching, laboratory-based practicals (including anatomical dissections and sessions in the purpose-built clinical skills centre), clinical demonstrations, ward rounds, multidisciplinary symposia, computer-aided learning and lectures. You will also be taught at hospitals away from King's and in the community with general practitioners. This will give you the opportunity to experience many of the different ways in which healthcare is delivered.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp09/programme/85
Reply 5

Teaching is based on a variety of techniques: small group teaching, laboratory-based practicals, clinical demonstrations, ward rounds, multidisciplinary symposia, computer-aided learning and lectures.

That's what I meant with no definitive answer. :p:
Reply 6
HAHA thats well wierd

Yes i've got one this week and i didn't want to sound like a complete idiot by not knowing how the structure actually is.
Reply 7
Don't know what you mean by PBL, but I'm at King's and a few of my mates are doing medicine here. They have a lot of contact time, and each week this includes lectures, seminars, disections, practicals (I think this is different to disections), and I think something to do with computers.
Reply 8
I had only one session of PBL last year. It's great. None yet this year, and I don't know if we will (our schedule varies from week to week and I can never be bothered to look more than a week ahead)
One of my friends is involved in a PBL trial thing, which was offered to all of us. Oddly not many took it up. Apparently he enjoys it, though.

Far as I'm aware, we've never had a seminar. We do have a fair amount of tutorials, though.
Reply 9
theredsox
I had only one session of PBL last year. It's great. None yet this year, and I don't know if we will (our schedule varies from week to week and I can never be bothered to look more than a week ahead)
One of my friends is involved in a PBL trial thing, which was offered to all of us. Oddly not many took it up. Apparently he enjoys it, though.

Far as I'm aware, we've never had a seminar. We do have a fair amount of tutorials, though.

So is it mostly lecture-based with regular clinical settings?
Reply 10
theredsox

Do any other uni's offer SSM modules or is that only part of King's teaching style?
Reply 11
ajdj
Do any other uni's offer SSM modules or is that only part of King's teaching style?

Every university offers them but the london universities offer more of a selection of them. It was one of the reasons why I chose kings but i've found out that UCL offers even more choice (eg art) and so its not a good idea to have it as a reason for choosing Kings.
Reply 12
shahrukh24
Every university offers them but the london universities offer more of a selection of them. It was one of the reasons why I chose kings but i've found out that UCL offers even more choice (eg art) and so its not a good idea to have it as a reason for choosing Kings.

lol good then I thought its exclusive to King's. Though it wasn't one of the reasons I chose it tbh, I actually found out after I had sent my application. :p:
shahrukh24
HAHA thats well wierd

Yes i've got one this week and i didn't want to sound like a complete idiot by not knowing how the structure actually is.

Why did you apply without researching in to how it was taught?
Reply 14
OriginofSymmetry
Why did you apply without researching in to how it was taught?

I have done plenty of research! What I wanted to know was what the teaching style is actually called. For example, Manchester University is PBL-based, while Birmingham university is system based.
The website says the thing that are involved but it seems to be a bit of everything, i.e. lectures, clinical settings from the 1st yr etc.
So what would this style be called?
Reply 15
From what it seems its called Integrated, with a pinch of PBL here and there; as theredsox said.
Ah, I see. Fair doos.

ajdj
From what it seems its called Integrated, with a pinch of PBL here and there; as theredsox said.

This.
Reply 17
ARGH! I have an interview at kings on 6th nov (THIS THURSDAY), the day after the bmat!!! i am SOO underprepared, i have to actually READ my personal statement and begin revising for the bmat this WED!!!!!!!!
Is anyone else panicking trying to do everything all at once???
I sure am!
*screams ridiculously*
Any other questions on the teaching style - or anything King's related - I'm here to be asked. :smile: Just make sure you quote me so I know to look here.
Reply 19
theredsox
Any other questions on the teaching style - or anything King's related - I'm here to be asked. :smile: Just make sure you quote me so I know to look here.

hmmmm, could you please possibly go through your interview/qu's/setting/everything basically! how did you feel? what were the interviewers like?!? how was your ethical dilemma? what's the questionnaire about??????
sorry about the long list, just SOOOOOOOO freaked out!

Latest

Trending

Trending