The Student Room Group

Which U.S President is most Significant? (Heat 1)

This poll is closed

Which U.S President is most Significant? (Heat 1)

Andrew Jackson18%
James Polk0%
Franklin Roosevelt41%
Thomas Jefferson35%
James Monroe6%
Total votes: 17
TSR is asking the question: Which US President was the most significant?

We're holding a tournament of US Presidents and asking you to vote to determine which was the most significant in history. We are currently in the Heats stage of this tournament, and this is Heat 1.

All the other Heats are linked at the bottom of this post, and there's a hub thread here if you're interested in reading more. :smile:

Without further Ado the candiates are:

Andrew Jackson 1829-1837 (Dem)
First up is Andrew Jackon, who topped his group by 4 votes but not with a huge vote share, Jackson was the seventh President, and was a founder of the Democratic Party. He signed the Indian Removal Act which forcibly removed most members of the Native American nations from their lands, and relocated them to designated territory. Jackson opposed the abolition of chattel slavery, and became the only President to complete pay off the national debt.

James K. Polk 1845-49 (Dem)
Our second group winner is James K. Polk who served as Speaker of the house and is the only President to be both Speaker and President and is also a protege of his now Hear 1 final Jackosn. Pol was President during the Mexican-American war, his term oversaw the annexation of Texas, Oregon and much of the southwestern states in the Mexican Cession. The only one on this list to not feature in the Simpsons 'mediocre presidents' song.

Franklin D Roosenvelt 1933-1945 (Dem)
Next up we Have Franklin D Roosenvelt, Roosenvelt won a record 4 Presidential Elections and he continued his winning form by topiing his group comfortably, he Implemented the new deal to help soften the blow of the great depression. He also took the US into WW2 after the attack at Pearl Harbour. Roosenvelt died in office in 1945

Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809 (Democratic-Republican)
Another household name of US History and the first in this heat not to top their group . Jefferson the first ever Secretary of State for the country and the principal author for the Declaration of Independence. He also spent some years representing the USA to France. Jefferson can also be given responsibility for the Louisiana Purchase, which doubled the existing land area of the USA and gave Americans right to take land that belonged to Natives.

James Monroe 1817-1825 (Democratic-Republican)
The second group runner up and the second Democratic republican candidate on this list. The fifth President and one of America's founders, Monroe was significant for a number of reasons. He advanced what later became known as the Monroe doctrine which opposed European interference in the affairs of newly independent former colonies, as well as encouraging freed slaves to establish themselves in Africa. Monrovia, Liberia's capital is named after him.

If you like this idea and want to see more from the History forum. Let us know by posting in this thread.

P.S. Don't forget to check out the polls for the other Heats here:
Heat 1
Heat 2
Heat 3
Heat 4
Heat 5
(edited 2 years ago)
Andrew Jackson - controversial, but certainly impactful. Worth reading about the Trail of Tears.
I predict this is going to be a toss up between Jefferson and FDR...
Original post by 04MR17
I predict this is going to be a toss up between Jefferson and FDR...

Yeah, but I can't vote for anyone who took away rights from Native Americans.
Original post by 学生の父
The only thing I would add is that significant doesn't always mean good
Original post by 学生の父

I can appreciate this, and my vote for Andrew Jackson is absolutely in no way intended to glorify him - I feel his policies and actions were hugely significant, in a very bad way for Native Americans, and those impacts are still being felt today in ways that (IMO) the legacies of the others on this list aren't.
1- Jefferson
2- FDR
3- Jackson

Jefferson was Instrumental in creating the USA, FDR was instrumental in creating the. Modern USA which I don't believe will last as long.

Jackson was just an awesome bad ass who took no ****.
Reply 7
Jefferson all the way.
The Results of this Heat are...

1. Franklin Roosevelt (7)
2. Thomas Jefferson (6)
3. Andrew Jackson (3)
4. James Monroe (1)
5. James Polk (0)

Now we move onto the semi finals, which you can find here:
Semi-Final 1
Semi-Final 2
Semi-Final 3