The Student Room Group

Schools encouraged to scrap gendered language like Sir and Miss

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Given the wokeness of today's generation I am not sure this will be the case for everyone very soon.

More and more people are getting sick of wokeness and also most people are still cis so getting rid of terms which apply to the vast majority of people and to instead pander to the minority is dumb. If a teacher is non-binary or whatever they can ask to have a different pronoun or title but that shouldn’t need to be foisted onto everyone else tbh.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
More and more people are getting sick of wokeness and also most people are still cis so getting rid of terms which apply to the vast majority of people and to instead pander to the minority is dumb. If a teacher is non-binary or whatever they can ask to have a different pronoun or title but that shouldn’t need to be foisted onto everyone else tbh.

I agree.
Given that this thread is a year old and the idea doesn’t seem to have gained any traction, I’d suggest it’s a storm in a teacup.

No point frothing about this when schools can barely keep themselves from falling down or keep up with what quals they’re meant to be delivering this week.
They're dropping, but they can wear what they want generally.
ik this is an old thread- but at primary school (i went to a gaeilscoil, an irish-speaking school, you WEREN'T allowed speak english after naoinera mhora (idk in english man), but it was the 2nd year of primary before 1st class)
anyway we called our teachers muinteoir! it was muinteoir followed by their 1st name, it's v weird to me to call a teacher miss or sir, and sir sounds sm fancier than miss lmao, changing it seems a bit extreme tho lol
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending