The Student Room Group
If they ask for a B, they are asking for a reason... I would say that it would be some what risky of you to apply...
Reply 2
Have you got A Level Maths???
Reply 3
probably not, sorry
Reply 4
No I have alevels in history, politics etc however, and I think i would have extra alevels than asked wouldnt this be enough?
jstar357
No I have alevels in history, politics etc however, and I think i would have extra alevels than asked wouldnt this be enough?

Are you doing any other numerical A levels, like physics or economics? They're not ideal, but might help to persuade the admissions tutors that you're quantitatively inclined.

If not, I will be honest with you. If you only managed to scrape a C at GCSE maths, what makes you think you'll be able to cope with a highly numerical subject at degree level? I would very strongly suggest that you consider just looking at a politics and philosophy joint honours instead. I have friends (numerous) who got As in A level maths and then went on to get 2.2s in degree-level economics, because it is tough if you're not naturally talented at it, or prepared to put in a lot of work. I would suggest that in a triple-subject degree you may not have the time to work yourself up to the required standard.

I don't wish to rain on your parade - contact admissions at the universities you're interested in and ask. But I do think that regardless of whether they say yes, it may not be such a wise plan in the long run.
Reply 6
What you said made a lot of sense, but I have done business studies its less intense than economics I know but it's the nearest to economics. I have read books and have done topics on economics so I do have the background knowledge and history of the system used in the uk in the last 100 years. my maths gcse is appalling it does not make me look good whats so ever and that is my fault for not putting effort in then, however i have been able to do economics now and do business could this be counted, lancaster does ppe and from everywhere i have read it doesn't have a gcse grade requirement for maths is this true?
Reply 7
redo the gcse then reapply cos otherwise i have to say it is unlikely. sorry
Reply 8
redo the gcse then reapply cos otherwise i have to say it is unlikely. sorry
Reply 9
No then.
I mean I would have thought they wanted A Level maths..
Reply 10
no they haven't said anything about alevel maths.
Unfortunately as you get into Economics the subject does involve a fair amount of maths. However you could always start with PPE then drop Economics and get a Degree in Politics/Philosophy and still have 2 years in Economics on your certificate. It all depends on what you want to do with your degree..

Also I have applied for a PPE degree and they have not wanted A-Level Maths, just the minimum for all courses (Standard Grade 1 or 2)

Latest

Trending

Trending