The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

changing course LSE

How easy is it to change courses at LSE and is it better to request to switch before you start your first year or during your first year there? More specifically would it be possible to switch from PPE (philosophy, politics, economics) to just politics and economics?
With any university the only way to find out is to ask directly. And the earlier you ask the more likely that they will be able to help.

Don’t accept a place on a course you don’t want to finish in the hope that they’ll change their minds later on.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
How easy is it to change courses at LSE and is it better to request to switch before you start your first year or during your first year there? More specifically would it be possible to switch from PPE (philosophy, politics, economics) to just politics and economics?

hey mate, i am in the same boat. I want to change from PPE to politics and economics. I'll be starting in September.
Reply 3

The offer made is specific to the named programme - you cannot request a transfer at this stage. Requests to change undergraduate degree programme can only be submitted after examination results have been published at the end of an academic year, or during the Michaelmas Term course selection period. Please see the information here. Transfers are not guaranteed and dependent on a number of factors, including spaces being available. You should not register at LSE with the sole intention of switching degree programmes.
Reply 4
Original post by Dddhinsa
hey mate, i am in the same boat. I want to change from PPE to politics and economics. I'll be starting in September.

hey, sorry I just saw this. How did it go for you, did you manage to change?

Hi did you manage to change programmes?
Reply 6
Original post by jlocordner332
Hi did you manage to change programmes?

Hi sorry just saw this. I ended up liking PPE at LSE (I am a second year now), so I didn't apply for a course change :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi sorry just saw this. I ended up liking PPE at LSE (I am a second year now), so I didn't apply for a course change :smile:

Hi,
I have a question on LSE PPE if you don't mind.
So far, I have linked philosophy, politics and economics through areas of overlap, and have also included a short paragraph of some maths interests (3-4 sentences) and a short extra-curriculars paragraph (3-4 sentences). It's still quite a bit over the word limit but I plan to shorten it over the holidays.
I asked my teacher to look over it today, and she thought it was good, but when I told her I am specifically targetting LSE PPE (which requires an A* in maths), she told me 3-4 sentences for maths is not enough for such a quantitative course, and that my ps needs to be much much more maths based to get into lse's ppe.
How true is this? If it's true, how do you advise I go about structuring philosophy, politics, economics and maths in my ps with enough analysis and depth (I'm already over limit with not enough maths). Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi,
So far, I have linked philosophy, politics and economics through areas of overlap, and have also included a short paragraph of some maths interests (3-4 sentences) and a short extra-curriculars paragraph (3-4 sentences). It's still quite a bit over the word limit but I plan to shorten it over the holidays.
I asked my teacher to look over it today, and she thought it was good, but when I told her I am specifically targetting LSE PPE (which requires an A* in maths), she told me 3-4 sentences for maths is not enough for such a quantitative course, and that my ps needs to be much much more maths based to get into lse's ppe.
How true is this? If it's true, how do you advise I go about structuring philosophy, politics, economics and maths in my ps with enough analysis and depth (I'm already over limit with not enough maths). Any help will be much appreciated. Many thanks! :smile:

Not who you asked, but I'm a first year doing PPE at LSE. My advice would be to delete your extra curriculars paragraph (it's complete fluff 90% of the time, wasting your word count), as it could often be put better in your reference. I did not specifically mention maths at all in my PS, and don't really know any others who did, however if you feel you actually have something that links with both maths and PPE (not just maths), then it's worth expanding on it once you've gotten the extra space from deleting the extra curriculars. Otherwise, just try and expand your other paragraphs where you can, and remember you should really be avoiding using words which you would not use outside of formal speech; that is, keep a formal tone obviously, but do not use embellished vocabulary or structures. This can really help cut down the character count and helps the statement read better, as it doesn't seem that you're compensating for your achievements or suitability for the course with a big vocabulary.
Reply 9
Hi,

Hi, I completely agree the reply above. I didn't mention maths in my PS either, I don't think its important as long as you have the grades to back up your maths aptitude. If you really want to mention maths, make sure it is linked to PPE.

and yes definitely don't spend too long talking about extra-curriculars. I only spent one or two sentences talking about them.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi, I completely agree the reply above. I didn't mention maths in my PS either, I don't think its important as long as you have the grades to back up your maths aptitude. If you really want to mention maths, make sure it is linked to PPE.

and yes definitely don't spend too long talking about extra-curriculars. I only spent one or two sentences talking about them.

Thanks for you reply! Could I ask if you did further maths at all?
Original post by Anonymous #3
Not who you asked, but I'm a first year doing PPE at LSE. My advice would be to delete your extra curriculars paragraph (it's complete fluff 90% of the time, wasting your word count), as it could often be put better in your reference. I did not specifically mention maths at all in my PS, and don't really know any others who did, however if you feel you actually have something that links with both maths and PPE (not just maths), then it's worth expanding on it once you've gotten the extra space from deleting the extra curriculars. Otherwise, just try and expand your other paragraphs where you can, and remember you should really be avoiding using words which you would not use outside of formal speech; that is, keep a formal tone obviously, but do not use embellished vocabulary or structures. This can really help cut down the character count and helps the statement read better, as it doesn't seem that you're compensating for your achievements or suitability for the course with a big vocabulary.

Hi, thanks for your reply, it was really helpful- sorry I didn't reply earlier I was busy on my ps.
I currently don't have space in my ps to talk abt the essay comps that I did (which is a shame as I did alot), so do you recommend that I briefly mention a sentence on doing alot of comps, or should I ask my reference writer to include that instead? If you think it's better in the reference I would be grateful if you could suggest how I ask my reference writer to phrase that I have done all of these comps, without having to mention all the names but still emphasising this. Thank you!
Hi, thanks for your reply, it was really helpful- sorry I didn't reply earlier I was busy on my ps.
I currently don't have space in my ps to talk abt the essay comps that I did (which is a shame as I did alot), so do you recommend that I briefly mention a sentence on doing alot of comps, or should I ask my reference writer to include that instead? If you think it's better in the reference I would be grateful if you could suggest how I ask my reference writer to phrase that I have done all of these comps, without having to mention all the names but still emphasising this. Thank you!

and could i also ask if you did fm?
Reply 13
Thanks for you reply! Could I ask if you did further maths at all?

Yes I did further maths a-level (as part of four a-levels).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending