The Student Room Group
It usually refers to sporting events, i.e. the schools (American) football (or other, but football is most common) team returning from playing away games to play their first home game. It coincides with various feditivites and activities and often a dance (which is less formal than prom). So it is internal to the school and will be people at that school attending.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
It usually refers to sporting events, i.e. the schools (American) football (or other, but football is most common) team returning from playing away games to play their first home game. It coincides with various feditivites and activities and often a dance (which is less formal than prom). So it is internal to the school and will be people at that school attending.

so do they have a whole season of away games and only one home game?
Reply 3
Original post by DozyJose

cos that doesn't seem like it could work numbers wise

No I think they play a season of away games and then a season of home games - the first such game being the "homecoming" game. To which a homecoming dance etc might be associated.
Is it when college students go back to their old school in the holidays and pretend they're still at school lol?

Sort of! :wink:

It is a long weekend where alumni are all invited to return to the university. The main focus point of the weekend is the homecoming football game. As you suggested, it is not the first or only home game of the season, but usually a rather important one (perhaps against a major rival). The student body will attend the game and associated parties, but so will the alumni. It also gives alumni an opportunity to attend reunion events and there may be various fundraising events held by the university as well. Homecoming is not just about football, though - every major sports team/Greek organization/activity will likely host some sort of event for returning alumni.

If you attend a school with Greek life, homecoming will be a major event on the social calendar. Every fraternity will likely host a tailgate party prior to the football game, and on Saturday evening you may see fraternity alumni (even grown men!) reliving their glory days at the frat house. There may also be a parade prior to the game which members of the local community will attend. All in all, it's lots of fun, and gives you something to look forward to once you graduate.
Homecoming at my uni is normally early October so several weeks after the school year starts.. It's just basically a weekend that celebrates students coming back to campus for the new academic year and also welcomes alumni back to campus. It's centred around a football game and often a parade. My school also has a huge bonfire, fireworks, and a concert; traditions will vary based on the school though.
Original post by artful_lounger
No I think they play a season of away games and then a season of home games - the first such game being the "homecoming" game. To which a homecoming dance etc might be associated.

A college football season will be split between home and away games, and then the homecoming game will be one of the home games in the earlier part of the season. This year, at my school, our homecoming game was the 4th of 7 home games.
Reply 8
These replies are hilarious. Homecoming in the U.S. happens at 2 places.. high schools and colleges. In the UK did/do they have High School reunions? It's really died out in the States since the rise of constant connection w cellphones then social media.. but there was a time when people actually lost contact with people from their hometown and colleges when they graduated, went off and lived their lives. I bring up reunions because, that was what Homecoming really began as. Just as the word says.. it was a designated weekend for Alumni to come home or to their alma mater.. so obviously they would need some sort of entertainment.. in the U.S. for most schools, that's a football game - especially bc Homecoming falls somewhere between mid-September to mid-October. The game is obviously played at HOME since that's where the alumni want to be, and has NOTHING to do with a team's schedule. You could play 3 straight home games and one fall on HOMECOMING weekend. Over the decades of the tradition, it has become more about the students than the alumni, and it's a big weekend for high schoolers as it's the 2nd biggest dance of the year (Prom #1 in the spring). And just like the Prom, they vote for Homecoming King/Queen for the high school (grades 9-12) So to add to the festive mood, teams try to make sure they schedule an easy Win that week - So in the midwest at least.. a homecoming weekend might look like a football game Friday night where they might honor Alumni at the football game who did great things while in school and/or after, they announce the Homecoming King/Queens.. the alumni go out to the bars after.. the next day they might do some things for the alumni like a breakfast or banquet dinner, while the students have their Homecoming Dance. Generally.. the dance is.. well a H.S. dance and sucks, so the real fun are the afterparties. That's what homecoming in the U.S. is.
Reply 9
And the homecoming game is usually against a weaker opponent so the alumni get to see a win!
Original post by kamara41
A college football season will be split between home and away games, and then the homecoming game will be one of the home games in the earlier part of the season. This year, at my school, our homecoming game was the 4th of 7 home games.

Latest

Trending

Trending