The Student Room Group

Good first year mark

How much mark is considered as good for first year modules?
I got like 60% in some first semester modules and its killing me.

And i think i'll barely pass some 2nd semester modules.
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

a 2:1 is ideal but a solid 2:2 can be made up for in later years. the usual aim is to graduate with a 2:1 by the end, but a 2:2 won't necessarily doom you.
Original post by _gcx
a 2:1 is ideal but a solid 2:2 can be made up for in later years. the usual aim is to graduate with a 2:1 by the end, but a 2:2 won't necessarily doom you.

Do first year marks get counted toward final grade?

I heard some people saying that it dont matter as long as u just pass.
Original post by JAckieee.chan

Sometimes, you need to check what the weightings are for your course. If it does count it is generally not a huge amount? (here it counts 10% for degrees where it counts, but it might count more elsewhere)

Technically. But even if you only need to pass, you should still aim to do reasonably well. The second and third year will build upon what you did in first year, and the content will generally just get harder, so if you don't do very well in first year you'll be on the back foot a bit and will have to catch up.
(edited 2 years ago)

Check with your university, but I don't think so.
Original post by _gcx
Sometimes, you need to check what the weightings are for your course. If it does count it is generally not a huge amount? (here it counts 10% for degrees where it counts, but it might count more elsewhere)

Technically. But even if you only need to pass, you should still aim to do reasonably well. The second and third year will build upon what you did in first year, and the content will generally just get harder, so if you don't do very well in first year you'll be on the back foot a bit and will have to catch up.

Thats what i am worried about. Like is 50 to 60% range good for first year?
Original post by penguingirl18
Check with your university, but I don't think so.

Huh. I need to check. All uk unis have same policy?? Dont they?
Thats what i am worried about. Like is 50 to 60% range good for first year?

Depends what the standard for "good" is. Relatively speaking it may not be brilliant, but it's not disastrous by any means.

no

No idea. I know at least York and one other university that I applied to don't count first year grades.

Even so though, getting higher grades in your first year will make it easier to achieve them in your second/third years when it counts.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Depends what the standard for "good" is. Relatively speaking it may not be brilliant, but it's not disastrous by any means.

By good i mean It wont affect my 2nd year ig? Like i should get hold of the 2nd year material easily if i get mark around this range or will i struggle?
Original post by penguingirl18
No idea. I know at least York and one other university that I applied to don't count first year grades.

Even so though, getting higher grades in your first year will make it easier to achieve them in your second/third years when it counts.

Huh make sense.
By good i mean It wont affect my 2nd year ig? Like i should get hold of the 2nd year material easily if i get mark around this range or will i struggle?

At a webinar for KCL, a current student said (if I recall correctly) that 60%+ is good/okay for first year and 70% is quite good, or something like that. Hope this helps.
(edited 2 years ago)

not really an easy question to answer. If you struggled a lot with first year content, it's possible/probable you'll still be struggling second year (depends how much you can avoid the stuff you struggled with) unless something changes. If you were just distracted with other things/struggling with motivation and didn't do as well as you could have, I don't think it's an immediate cause for concern at all. Definitely possible to still get a 2:1 or more overall.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
not really an easy question to answer. If you struggled a lot with first year content, it's possible/probable you'll still be struggling second year (depends how much you can avoid the stuff you struggled with) unless something changes. If you were just distracted with other things and didn't do as well as you could have, I don't think it's an immediate cause for concern at all. Definitely possible to still get a 2:1 or more overall.

Its not like that i am struggling with the contents, its more to do with completing the topics. I keep procrastinating and end up completing assignments a day or two before the deadline and get poor marks. But i can easily get full marks if i were to start working earlier. Lol .
Its not like that i am struggling with the contents, its more to do with completing the topics. I keep procrastinating and end up completing assignments a day or two before the deadline and get poor marks. But i can easily get full marks if i were to start working earlier. Lol .

well then the answer of what to do is obvious, lol
Original post by _gcx
well then the answer of what to do is obvious, lol

Thats why i am worried about first year. I messed the routine and its hard to keep track now and also ig it looks bad with marks less than 60%.
But i believe i can do well in 2nd year.
Lets just hope that my uni dont count 1st year marks . Lol
(edited 2 years ago)
Thats why i am worried about first year. I messed the routine and its hard to keep track now and also ig it looks bad with marks less than 60%.
But i believe i can do well in 2nd year.
Lets just hope that my uni dont count 1st year marks . Lol

I mean if you've been getting 2:2s with not much work, it's not a stretch to push this up to a 2:1 or higher with work. Use the summer to catch up.

It should just take a google, or failing that asking your tutor.
Normally no, 1st year does not count towards your final course grade in the UK. Anything above 70 is considered an A so you should be aiming for 70. Second onwards does build on what you learnt in 1st year, but it depends on the modules as they don't always overlap in content. Generally, as long as you pass 1st year (50+) then you're fine. Definitely do your best from 2nd year onwards as they're more important.
Reply 19

It sounds like you're having difficulty structuring the planning / writing process of the essays, rather than the actual facts that you write about in them. Maybe you can see if your uni provides any courses on how to write essays? When I'm writing essays, rather than thinking I have to write the entire thing today, I break it up into paragraphs / words. So, I might write 750 words today, then 750 tomorrow (which could almost cover a whole 1st year essay of 1500 words).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending