The Student Room Group

First ever Assignment written at an academic level

Hello,

I am first year A&F, For various reasons I have never written an academic piece or particularly difficult assignment. My first one is due in 3 weeks and I have no idea what I'm doing, I have a full draft currently, but honestly no idea if it's scrap or along the right lines.

Does anyone have any tips/ good resources to help? Also anything to explain Harvard referencing a little simpler would be helpful!

Alternatively, if anyone has nothing to do and fancies giving it a read?

have you read the module handbook and marking grid?

As a tutor myself I would always walk my students through the marking grid so they understand how the work is assessed - at the very least I would encourage you to read the 2.1 / 60% sort of level because that will describe what good looks like
Reply 2
Yes I have access to both and have had both in front of me while writing the assignment, I am however finding it rather difficult to apply the requirements to my writing, while I am actively writing to the requirements, I wouldn't know where to start on applying it to what I've written.

Simply, I have no idea if it's a Third or a 2.1, I don't really understand how to evaluate it in honesty
Original post by ChiefBrody
have you read the module handbook and marking grid?

As a tutor myself I would always walk my students through the marking grid so they understand how the work is assessed - at the very least I would encourage you to read the 2.1 / 60% sort of level because that will describe what good looks like
fair enough, its possible the tutor just wants you to write something and then use that as a baseline to work from

If the marking grid doesn't help you assess your own work then its not very well written - IMO - presumably there are criteria?

To be clear, my suggestion is to read what the marking criteria says about the higher marks because that will help you know what you are being asked to do
Reply 4
Original post by ChiefBrody
fair enough, its possible the tutor just wants you to write something and then use that as a baseline to work from

If the marking grid doesn't help you assess your own work then its not very well written - IMO - presumably there are criteria?

To be clear, my suggestion is to read what the marking criteria says about the higher marks because that will help you know what you are being asked to do

Sure!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending