The Student Room Group

Stay at home or leave?

So I have an offer to do Politics and IR at Bath, Southampton and Queen Mary. Despite the fact that Bath is in the top ten, I have ruled out going there for a variety of reasons, which means I now have to choose between Southampton and Queen Mary, but I'm stuck.

I live in London, and my parents really want me to stay at home and go Queen Mary, but I'm hesitant because, despite being a Russell Group university it's still quite low ranked in comparison to other universities. I also think that if I stay at home, I will not have the same university experience as other and not be able to make friends as easily. I also want some freedom, which leads me to Southampton. Their politics course is a BSc, which makes it more challenging and valuable because of the content that distinguishes it from QMUL and it being a BA degree, and the university is much higher on the rankings than QMUL, but they're still quite on par. I'm worried that if I choose Southampton, I won't enjoy it or make friends, and it will be a waste of money because of the maintenance loans, because the university isn't that much better than QMUL, and they're both Russell Group universities. They both want the same grades.

Some may argue that it isn't worth the trouble and to just go to QMUL and save money, but others may argue that Southampton is superior in terms of ranking, course, and the independence and experience gained by leaving home.

So, what are your thoughts? I'm just really indecisive and don't want to make a decision I would regret.
have you visited Southampton campus? or at least watched their YouTube videos about the uni and uni life? Both are highly regarded unis but the decision seems to be more about whether you want to move away or stay at home. Moving away is the usual 'right of passage' for teenagers going to uni so you will miss out on being independent.
Original post by Ca120
So I have an offer to do Politics and IR at Bath, Southampton and Queen Mary. Despite the fact that Bath is in the top ten, I have ruled out going there for a variety of reasons, which means I now have to choose between Southampton and Queen Mary, but I'm stuck.

I live in London, and my parents really want me to stay at home and go Queen Mary, but I'm hesitant because, despite being a Russell Group university it's still quite low ranked in comparison to other universities. I also think that if I stay at home, I will not have the same university experience as other and not be able to make friends as easily. I also want some freedom, which leads me to Southampton. Their politics course is a BSc, which makes it more challenging and valuable because of the content that distinguishes it from QMUL and it being a BA degree, and the university is much higher on the rankings than QMUL, but they're still quite on par. I'm worried that if I choose Southampton, I won't enjoy it or make friends, and it will be a waste of money because of the maintenance loans, because the university isn't that much better than QMUL, and they're both Russell Group universities. They both want the same grades.

Some may argue that it isn't worth the trouble and to just go to QMUL and save money, but others may argue that Southampton is superior in terms of ranking, course, and the independence and experience gained by leaving home.

So, what are your thoughts? I'm just really indecisive and don't want to make a decision I would regret.

Hi @Ca120,

It is great to hear that you have got an offer to study at Southampton!

I completely understand how hard it is to make a decision as to where you live at university, and it is something a lot of students go through! It seems you have looked into each course and their rankings pretty thoroughly, which is great. Which leaves things like accommodation, city life and social scene to consider.

I am in my second year at Southampton, and can honestly say that I have loved it! I stayed in student halls in my first year (Glen Eyre) and could not recommend it enough. Not only is it the perfect way to meet people and make friends right from the beginning of your university experience, it is also really conveniently located. It is either a walk or a short bus ride from Highfield campus (other campuses are also really accessible), which is made even easier with the the free bus pass for all first year students staying in halls (this was the case in my first year but, as ever, things may change).

There are so many opportunities to make friends at university. As I mentioned staying in student halls is a great way to instantly make a group of friends, all your flatmates will be in the same situation as you (i.e. not knowing anyone) which makes getting to know each other that little bit easier. Simple things such as keeping your door open during moving in day and those early weeks can really help in starting conversations.

The students union are really great at putting on events during freshers week and throughout the year so there is always something to do on campus with a group of friends (the SU karaoke is really good fun and is a popular event on campus). Societies are also an effective way of creating those initial bonds. Being able to make friends with people who have similar interests is always lovely, and joining societies means you can do just that! I find that meeting new people when there is something to do, like a sport, makes the whole process easier as it takes off the pressure of having to maintain conversations for long periods of time. Societies often run socials as well which provides even more opportunity to get to know everyone. The city is also really great for days and nights out, there are lots of bars, shops, restaurants and things to do (such as the cinema, bowling and escape rooms), so you won't be bored!

It is completely expected to be a bit nervous about starting university, especially when making friends is concerned. However, you will find yourself making friends quickly by getting involved with as much as you are comfortable with and being proactive in approaching new people. I found in first year that as everyone was new and didn't know anyone, everyone was chatty and willing to meet as many people as possible.

Going to university away from home does definitely enhance your independence, as you are responsible for your living area, cooking, cleaning and bills however, of course if you are uncomfortable with being far from home then of course do what is best for you. You can still develop your independence when attending university whilst living at home. One thing I would say, however, is that having to commute may become an inconvenience as a significant amount of your day is taken up by travelling. Going out in the evenings as well may become increasingly difficult, whereas staying in halls or in private accommodation means that you have slightly more freedom to go out whenever you fancy, knowing that it is easy to get home. Despite all of this, it ultimately comes down to what you feel you will be comfortable with. I would really recommend coming to Southampton to get a feel for the city and the campuses. There are offer holder days coming up in March and May, so if you want to get a feel for where you will be learning and living I would recommend signing on to one of those! More information can be found on the university website.

I hope this was useful for you, and of course if you have any more questions feel free to ask!

Jasmine (an Official University of Southampton Rep):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending