The Student Room Group
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website

Kent or Essex for Psychology post graduation

Hi ,

I am looking out for post graduation studies in either Kent or Essex. Can anyone assist with their experience with these universities for Msc Psychology studies
Hey there!

I have the unique position where I am from Colchester (where a University of Essex campus is), and I study at the University of Kent - I looked at both Universities, and this is how I came to the conclusion.

Both places have really great history - Colchester is the UK's oldest town and was the previous capital of the UK. Canterbury has of course, the world famous cathedral, and loads of pubs and buildings which have been around for hundreds of years. The question is, what kind of area do you want to live in? The University of Kent has several bars, restaurants and clubs on campus, and with a short walk down the hill you're in the city where there's so many places to go, things to do, places to drink and eat (Which you can see my favourites here)! I don't want to unfairly speak of UoE, but my experience of Colchester is that public transportation exists, but the roads are very busy so it takes a long time to get into town where everything is, meaning you could be stuck on the campus.

Our psychology course itself is highly respected. In the Research Excellence Framework (REF), research by the School of Psychology was ranked 11th in the UK for research intensity. An impressive 95% of our research-active staff submitted to the REF and 97% of our research was judged to be of international quality. The School’s environment was judged to be conducive to supporting the development of world-leading research. I would recommend looking at some of the staff that teach and see whether their interest align with yours, in terms of research and projects they have previously and currently are working on :smile:

If you have any specific questions on the campus or the course, I'll do my best to help you - or reach out to staff and students on the course to answer you :biggrin:

Nathan
UKC Rep
University of Essex
University of Essex
Colchester
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous
Hi ,

I am looking out for post graduation studies in either Kent or Essex. Can anyone assist with their experience with these universities for Msc Psychology studies

Hello,

I'm studying at the University of Essex, a BSc in Psychology, so I have some insight into the Psychology department and our resources!

But first of all, studying at Essex, specifically in Colchester, is so nice! The campus is absolutely gorgeous, with a beautiful park and lakes and fountains and a rich wildlife that's right at your very doorstep. In my experience, the public transport has been just fine, it only gets busy around rush hour (and frankly, that's a country wide issue), so getting to town takes about 20 minutes max, with many different buses that take you straight there.

Our university is rated Top 20 in Research Excellence, and we have many state-of-the-art facilities such as EEG's, eye tracking, a baby lab, human sexuality lab and much much more to help you conduct your research the way you want to! I agree with Nathan that you should look at the lecturers for both universities and see if there's one that studies what you're interested in. I joined Essex specifically for their human sexuality course that no other university offered, and I have the unique opportunity to conduct research with the human sexuality lab even though I'm only in my second year of undergraduate!

The department and its lecturers are wonderful, they're very supportive and have many years of experience in supporting dissertations, Msc's and PhD's, so you'll be among qualified people who can help you complete your research.

I hope this has been helpful, and if you have any questions I'm happy to help!

Megan
I have accepted a place on Msc psychology for this year but struggling to find out much information regarding how many days I will be expected to attend lectures and seminars on campus, is it similar to my undergrad when I was on campus for two full days then independent learning?
Original post by Nickyjparker
I have accepted a place on Msc psychology for this year but struggling to find out much information regarding how many days I will be expected to attend lectures and seminars on campus, is it similar to my undergrad when I was on campus for two full days then independent learning?

Hi @Nickyjparker

Yes the MSc Psychology is quite similiar, you'll have about the same amount of hours of lectures/seminars as undergraduate, but the difficulty of the work will increase with more statistics and 'technical' modules being involved, so you may find your working more independently than undergraduate. You may not have all the modules on the same day so you could be in for 2 full days, or 4 half days. We don't know the timetable until a couple of weeks before term starts.

You can see all the modules on the website and you can always reach out to lecturers asking about how many hours are timetabled per week if you'd like an exact answer!

Hope this was helpful and I'm happy to answer any further questions or reach out to the department to ask :smile:

Essex rep, Megan
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hi @Nickyjparker

Yes the MSc Psychology is quite similiar, you'll have about the same amount of hours of lectures/seminars as undergraduate, but the difficulty of the work will increase with more statistics and 'technical' modules being involved, so you may find your working more independently than undergraduate. You may not have all the modules on the same day so you could be in for 2 full days, or 4 half days. We don't know the timetable until a couple of weeks before term starts.

You can see all the modules on the website and you can always reach out to lecturers asking about how many hours are timetabled per week if you'd like an exact answer!

Hope this was helpful and I'm happy to answer any further questions or reach out to the department to ask :smile:

Essex rep, Megan

Thank you Megan, that is helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending