The Student Room Group

Nexplanon Implant (Itchy and reaction)

I had the implant 3 times (almost 7 years) This last time after a year of having it I was experiencing a really itchy hive like spots on my implant. I took pictures and went to the doctor where they that removed it from my arm. I’ve been trying different birth controls and I hate the pill and also the idea of the iud. I want another implant because besides the itchy hives, it is the best birth control method I’ve tried and I like it. Anyways, does anyone else experience this? It was a really itchy, red rash hive, almost like a bug bite but is NOT one. It would happen continuously in the same spot and go away after 30-45 minutes with taking Benadryl and putting on cream.

Good idea to try another one or is it a allergic reaction??? Doctor said the couldn’t help me because it’s not a known side effect. Do other girls get this and did you continue with the implant. I just don’t want anything life threatening to happen.

First photo is bad reaction- night before removal
Second photo is minor reaction I’d get continuously
3rd is 30-45 minutes after cream and Benadryl (completely gone, no itching)
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I am having the exact same problem! My first implant was fine but the second develops what looks like mosquitoe bites on top of the implant. It happened frequently at first, and then started being months in between events. I showed my doctor pictures and she told me she’d never seen it before but it should be fine to just leave it alone, since it didn’t seem like a big issue. Her only advice was to remove it if it was too much discomfort. I really don’t want to switch to any other form of birth control though, so I have stuck it out so far, but now I’m in Belgium for the summer and it has been happening every single night. I don’t understand why it stopped happening in the U.S. and has now returned with a vengeance.
I have been experiencing this for years and no provider knows why. It never happened with the implanon, only the nexplanon, and when I called to ask them, they said only one ingredient had changed between their two products and I'm probably having a slight reaction. The only odd thing is, is sometimes it happens a lot; daily or weekly, but other times I can go months without it happening. For me it has always been a single bump that starts out small, and if I scratch it it gets bigger, it is almost always directly over the center of the length of the implant. It is happening right now...

Quick Reply

Latest