The Student Room Group

Mentioning PMDD on UCAS...

Right, I'm currently applying to uni, and wondering if I should put that I'm 'disabled' (which seems like the wrong term to use, seeing as I'm dandy half the time.
(I'm sure this kinda thing has been posted before, apologies.

Basically, thanks to Wikipedia, PMDD is premenstrual syndrome (PMS) that is so severe it can be debilitating due to either physical, mental or emotional symptoms. Treatment is recommended because PMDD interferes with the sufferer's ability to function in her social or occupational life. The cardinal symptom--surfacing between ovulation and menstruation, and disappearing within a few days after the onset of the bleeding--is irritability. Anxiety, panic attacks, anger, and depression may also occur.

It's classified as a psychiatric disorder, and I'm on medication which isn't really helping, but I'm also getting some anti- anxiety stuff for my exams. My doc said I should put it as a disability, but I think my tutor'll disagree.
I wouldn't like to be disabled, seeing as I know lots of people are a hell of a lot worse than me, but I've missed loads of college, and exams and stuff, because of it. I also think that at uni, I might need an exam room on my own (do they even do that? I have it at college...), and generally a bit more leeway when I'm premenstural.

Yeah, long post, but rep if you can help me =)
Also, if you reckon I should... How did you describe your condition on UCAS?
Reply 1
QuantumTheory
My doc said I should put it as a disability, but I think my tutor'll disagree.?

Why, do you think?

QuantumTheory
I wouldn't like to be disabled, seeing as I know lots of people are a hell of a lot worse than me

Don't worry about that. People may be "worse off than you" but you declaring your disability/medical condition on the UCAS form doesn't trivialise their disability or yours, if you know what I mean? They should still get the support they require, whether you declare it or not, you need to be selfish and think of yourself. If you think you need some help then don't be afraid of declaring it and asking for it, once you're at uni.

QuantumTheory
but I've missed loads of college, and exams and stuff, because of it.

Do you think your grades have suffered?

QuantumTheory
I also think that at uni, I might need an exam room on my own (do they even do that? I have it at college...), and generally a bit more leeway when I'm premenstural.

There we have it. You do want some support, exam concessions (an exam room) at the very least. Don't feel uncomfotable about asking for it and don't think you're not worthy.

QuantumTheory
How did you describe your condition on UCAS?

You're asked to selection an option from a given list on the form. I can't remember the options off the top of my head (I think more have been added since I went through the process anyway) but I'd imagine you chose something along the lines of "disability that can't be seen". This is then used for statistical purposes and your application will be tracked so, once you've chosen you're about to go to uni you'll be asked to fill in Disabled Students Allowance forms/invited to a Needs Assesment.

You don't have to apply for DSA if you don't want to (I strongly advise you do though, you can get some great support). Instead you may be able to enter your own arrangement with the uni with regard to exams and attendance.

I wouldn't mention anything on your personal statement. Keep that academic. Your problems could be mention, in brief, in your teacher's reference if you feel it's had a negative effect on your academic performance. But, apart from that, you only select an option from a menu on the UCAS form.
My grades have suffered. Mostly because I only went to one exam last summer. (Add that to the chickenpox I had in the Jan exams, and you'll see why I'm at college for a third year)
I'm redoing A2 and AS Maths and Physics now, and have an A in A level Geography already (God knows how I got through the exam...)
Thank you so much for your help :smile: You've made me feel a lot better now :biggrin:
(But I'm premenstural, so it's not great :tongue:)

What is DSA? Well, I'm guessing Disabled Students Allowance, but then again, I don't really see what I could get with it that would help me. But feel more than free to correct me :smile:

My tutor's explaining why I haven't got any grades from last year in my PS, and how much it affects me, but I don't think she'll agree it's a disability, per se. As in, most people who know what I've got assume I lack some kind of fortitude that most women have (It's not, I promise!)
I dunno, because most women have PMS, I guess I feel a bit guilty, even though I know that no one I know suffers as badly as I do, it doesn't make me feel any better, if you see what I mean?

Well, thanks so much for your help. It also says 'Please give details of any special needs'
So I guess there about the exam considerations I currently have at college...
Reply 3
QuantumTheory

What is DSA? Well, I'm guessing Disabled Students Allowance, but then again, I don't really see what I could get with it that would help me. But feel more than free to correct me :smile:

DSA is a grant payable to students with disabilities, learning difficulties and medical conditions. It covers any extra costs associated with your disability or condition. It's a grant, so it isn't affected by household income and you don't pay it back.

Check out the sticky thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=360378

I'm in the process of improving all the stickies and wiki content and addming more stuff so there may be more information up over the weekend.

I don't know you, so I can't say how you can benefit from it but I'm sure there are one or two things that will be covered by it and may help you.

QuantumTheory

I dunno, because most women have PMS, I guess I feel a bit guilty, even though I know that no one I know suffers as badly as I do, it doesn't make me feel any better, if you see what I mean?

I see what you mean (but, being male, has no real idea what PMS is like :p: ) But sure, most women may experience it but, as you've said, most don't suffer from it as severly as you do. Don't feel guilty about getting any help that's offered.

QuantumTheory
'Please give details of any special needs'
So I guess there about the exam considerations I currently have at college...

Erm...I would think so. I really should look at a recent UCAS form. Back in my time they would only ask whether or not you have a disability (right after the parental occupation/education bit) and then selected on of four options. Things seem a little more advanced now :s-smilie: If you're asked what kind of disability or medical condition you have (eg. mobility, mental health, unseen etc.) select the appropriate one. In any "give us further details" sections just add whatever you feel is appropriate and you're comfortable with. Any further relevant info including exam concessions.

Take care and good luck :hugs:
Tick the UCAS box, and put about the exam room in the requirements bit. Flexilibilty of interview dates might also be worth mentioning.

DSA is indeed Disabled Students Allowance, and you'd be surprised with the ideas they come up with that could really make a difference to you. If concentration is a big problem then they might suggest a dictaphone so you can record lectures, that way if you're there and not concentrating then you'll have something to refer back to at a later time. They can also give you an allowance for photocopying notes from stuff you miss etc.
I understand the whole feeling guilty about getting help thing - i think that's usual for people to feel when the issue is not physically apparent. I really hope you are able to get the help you need at uni and the reasurance that your struggles are most definitely valid. I really think DSA could be of help to you, they have a lot of things they can suggest for those with mental health issues and this would all be made clear and discussed with you during your assessment. Good luck!
Reply 6
Ok, that's annoying I wrote a message and deleted it by accident. Will have to just summarise it lol.

I can empathise with you because I've got PMDD too, was diagnosed during my ASLevels. Its really affected my studies, but I felt that because it wasn't a visible disability and because it comes and goes I shouldn't put it down on my UCAS. Luckily my first year doesn't count towards my degree- I've not been coping too well with my symptoms.

I would really recommend talking to a counsellor/mental health advisor if you have (what I call) a "Bad Day". They will be non-judgemental and listen to what you say in confidence.

I would also recommend buying some kind of recording device for lectures (ask your lecturer if it's OK to use it, first!!), so during one of the days where you can't concentrate, you will have back-up. No matter how hard I try, there are always days where I can't take notes because my brain can't process what's being said fast enough. Sometimes those days happen during important lectures, and I miss loads of info.

The most important thing I've found is to have a support network. Tell your course director about the condition, speak to counsellors/advisors etc.

Oh and also, just general advice, if you are going to be living away from home it's good to have researched PMDD fully and know which treatments work best for you.
(For me, it's cooking- though that's not so great when I'm feeling clumsy!!!- going the gym, and drinking camomile tea!)

Hope everything goes ok for you!! Have fun at uni!! =)
p.s. wow that summary was as long as the original message lol!! Oh well.

Latest

Trending

Trending