The Student Room Group

Was withdrawn from a course in first year and want to reapply…

Hello everyone,

My place at a university was withdrawn and I have informally appealed the decision and waiting to hear back however as this might take a while (up to 30 days) I need to be prepared and was looking at reapplying at other universities quickly as deadlines are soon.

Only places I’m able to apply to are through clearing but I don’t know how to do that and if I need to remake my UCAS profile or use my previous one? And if so how do I only apply to clearing vacancies?

What are my options? As much detail as possible and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by nour.m229
Hello everyone,

My place at a university was withdrawn and I have informally appealed the decision and waiting to hear back however as this might take a while (up to 30 days) I need to be prepared and was looking at reapplying at other universities quickly as deadlines are soon.

Only places I’m able to apply to are through clearing but I don’t know how to do that and if I need to remake my UCAS profile or use my previous one? And if so how do I only apply to clearing vacancies?

What are my options? As much detail as possible and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You can make a new UCAS account using your old ID I believe- I used the same email from the 1st time I applied and they gave the old ID back. You need to make a new application- before that look at what clearing courses are available and I would say email/call them personally and explain your circumstances to see if they would accept an application from you as some universities don't accept students who didn't complete a former degree. Once you have done that make sure you have an academic member of staff from either Uni/ old school to write you a reference for your UCAS application. Then you can submit your application (you can do this before contacting the UNIs but it might be better to know you'll be accepted before you apply).
Reply 2
Original post by saraj937
You can make a new UCAS account using your old ID I believe- I used the same email from the 1st time I applied and they gave the old ID back. You need to make a new application- before that look at what clearing courses are available and I would say email/call them personally and explain your circumstances to see if they would accept an application from you as some universities don't accept students who didn't complete a former degree. Once you have done that make sure you have an academic member of staff from either Uni/ old school to write you a reference for your UCAS application. Then you can submit your application (you can do this before contacting the UNIs but it might be better to know you'll be accepted before you apply).

Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I’m wondering am I able to make my UCAS profile while I’m still waiting for the outcome from the appeal at my previous uni? Is that allowed?

I’m also wondering in my UCAS application if I can put five unis as a student usually would that are all clearing vacancies? Is that fine?

Thank you.
Reply 3
Yeah no stress- I made my account and started my application before I left uni- as long as you're officially withdrawn when you submit I don't think you'll have any issues- it also might be a blessing in disguise as you can still secure funding with SFE/W without worrying.

Clearing only allows one at a time- this is why I suggested contacting all the unis you're interested in that are on clearing so you know they'll accept you for sure.
Hi,

Thank you so much for your quick reply! I’m wondering am I able to make my UCAS profile while I’m still waiting for the outcome from the appeal at my previous uni? Is that allowed?

I’m also wondering in my UCAS application if I can put five unis as a student usually would that are all clearing vacancies? Is that fine?

Thank you.
Reply 4
Yeah no stress- I made my account and started my application before I left uni- as long as you're officially withdrawn when you submit I don't think you'll have any issues- it also might be a blessing in disguise as you can still secure funding with SFE/W without worrying.

Clearing only allows one at a time- this is why I suggested contacting all the unis you're interested in that are on clearing so you know they'll accept you for sure.

I’m wondering when I contact the university, what kinds of things should I say or let them know about? Do I mention being withdrawn from a previous uni or do they just require a level and gcse grades?

as well as that, is there anywhere I’d have to say that I was withdrawn from a previous uni on UCAS? Or do they already know?
Reply 5
I’m wondering when I contact the university, what kinds of things should I say or let them know about? Do I mention being withdrawn from a previous uni or do they just require a level and gcse grades?

as well as that, is there anywhere I’d have to say that I was withdrawn from a previous uni on UCAS? Or do they already know?

Just say I saw that XYZ course at your university is available in clearing and I am enquiring to see if I can make an application based on my circumstances.
I achieved XYZ A levels in 202? in the Subjects XYZ. After obtaining my A levels I went on to study XYZ and XYZ University but due to personal unforeseen circumstances (If you didn't like the course/ weren't happy with it say that instead) I have had to leave that course. I am interested in doing the course your university offers and I am enquiring to see if you accept applications from potential students who have left a degree course/ have obtained XYZ a levels.

If you left due to illness make sure you mention that (get your referee to mention it aswell) as many unis do take extenuating circs into consideration.

I wrote in my personal statement that I went to a previous uni but didn't write it in the qualifications section seeing as I never received a qualification. I double checked with my firm choice and they said as long as its mentioned in the application they have no issue with it seeing as I checked that they would accept an application from me before I made it. Some unis may ask for a transcript of your first year.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 6
Just say I saw that XYZ course at your university is available in clearing and I am enquiring to see if I can make an application based on my circumstances.
I achieved XYZ A levels in 202? in the Subjects XYZ. After obtaining my A levels I went on to study XYZ and XYZ University but due to personal unforeseen circumstances (If you didn't like the course/ weren't happy with it say that instead) I have had to leave that course. I am interested in doing the course your university offers and I am enquiring to see if you accept applications from potential students who have left a degree course/ have obtained XYZ a levels.

If you left due to illness make sure you mention that (get your referee to mention it aswell) as many unis do take extenuating circs into consideration.

I wrote in my personal statement that I went to a previous uni but didn't write it in the qualifications section seeing as I never received a qualification. I double checked with my firm choice and they said as long as its mentioned in the application they have no issue with it seeing as I checked that they would accept an application from me before I made it. Some unis may ask for a transcript of your first year.

Thank you so so much! That was incredibly helpful and I appreciate it so much!

I will call the unis today and ask if there’s anything else I need help with but you’ve been great:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending