The Student Room Group

Feeling weird about my second driving test

I’ve got my second driving test coming up soon but for some reason I feel like I really can’t be bothered/don’t care anymore about what happens. I’m normally a very optimistic person but I’m just expecting to fail again; I was very nervous by this point last time however I’m not nervous at all. Any help?
I failed my first driving test by one too many of the same minor for going slow in housing estates (3 for progress-appropriate speed). Otherwise I only got 2 more separate minors and no serious faults
good luck
Reply 2
Original post by ellis770
I’ve got my second driving test coming up soon but for some reason I feel like I really can’t be bothered/don’t care anymore about what happens. I’m normally a very optimistic person but I’m just expecting to fail again; I was very nervous by this point last time however I’m not nervous at all. Any help?
I failed my first driving test by one too many of the same minor for going slow in housing estates (3 for progress-appropriate speed). Otherwise I only got 2 more separate minors and no serious faults

Even tho you failed your first, from the sounds of it sounds like you still did very well and were close to passing especially since you didn't get any serious faults as well. Being that close to passing should only motivate you that you will get it right this time. Minors for progress are ones that can easily be fixed.
Reply 3
Original post by Keon_J
Even tho you failed your first, from the sounds of it sounds like you still did very well and were close to passing especially since you didn't get any serious faults as well. Being that close to passing should only motivate you that you will get it right this time. Minors for progress are ones that can easily be fixed.

Thank you but I failed my second too ☹️. Got one serious fault for apparently blocking an empty crossroads when turning right (I understand if I got a minor but not sure why it was serious as it wasn’t potentially dangerous). Otherwise got 4 minors, however he said it was a good drive so I’m dedicated to pass third time
Reply 4
Thank you but I failed my second too ☹️. Got one serious fault for apparently blocking an empty crossroads when turning right (I understand if I got a minor but not sure why it was serious as it wasn’t potentially dangerous). Otherwise got 4 minors, however he said it was a good drive so I’m dedicated to pass third time

So sorry to hear that :frown:.
What do they mean by blocking an empty crossroads tho? Did you turn right from a T-junction? I'm trying to understand how it was a serious fauly, only thing I can think of it becoming serious is if you was blocking another driver when turning. It says response to road markings?
Reply 5
Original post by Keon_J
So sorry to hear that :frown:.
What do they mean by blocking an empty crossroads tho? Did you turn right from a T-junction? I'm trying to understand how it was a serious fauly, only thing I can think of it becoming serious is if you was blocking another driver when turning. It says response to road markings?

If it works I’ve drawn a diagram of what he said I did wrong. White is what I was supposed to do, red is what I did. So he explained that because one of my back wheels was in the opposite section for a few seconds (like 3 seconds), I could’ve potentially blocked them turning right if someone came. But the issue is no-one came so in my opinion I didn’t do anything that would’ve caused danger
If it works I’ve drawn a diagram of what he said I did wrong. White is what I was supposed to do, red is what I did. So he explained that because one of my back wheels was in the opposite section for a few seconds (like 3 seconds), I could’ve potentially blocked them turning right if someone came. But the issue is no-one came so in my opinion I didn’t do anything that would’ve caused danger

I suspect the issue might me that if you've strayed onto the 'Right Turn' area for oncoming traffic then it counts as driving against the follow of traffic which would fail even if no other car is actually there. In the same way as driving wrong down a 1 way street, through a red light or changing lanes without looking would all fail even without other traffic being present.

I nearly failed one for much the same, I was taking my right turns a touch too sharp so in the examiners eyes I was coming v close to technically driving into traffic and almost failed on that as a repeat minor.

In terms of being unmotivated for the next next one? that might work out. I failed my first 2 and got upset as I had built myself up for it.. my third I was in a stinker of a mood, I was tired, sore and I just wanted to fail it and go home, but in essence that also removed all the pressure from me and I passed, just.
Reply 7

Ohhh I see, that makes much more sense now. But the White line still shows you going into the opposing traffic's right turn box. That's such a sneaky one because I've never seen a right turn box that had an opposing traffic's right turn box in the same lane behind me.
I know I said this already but you're still ready to pass, it's only 1 serious driving fault that is stopping you from passing. And this time it's not as bad as the first because you didn't have a repeated minor.

Honestly I feel your pain though, I've been doing mock tests recently and I have always been one driving fault away from passing. I'm scared it's going to happen on my real test.

The good thing is though is that you're in an area where you are able to get test dates quickly, I had to book mine's 6 months in advance and would have to wait another 6 months if I fail the one that's coming up.
Reply 8
That’s true actually. I’m in the process of finding a cancellation, it takes a few days but I will find one eventually.
Thanks
Reply 9
That’s true actually. I’m in the process of finding a cancellation, it takes a few days but I will find one eventually.
Thanks

How do you find a cancellation so easily, I want to do this because I have a strong feeling I might fail my test that's coming up so I want to book a cancellation straight after.
Reply 10
Original post by Keon_J
How do you find a cancellation so easily, I want to do this because I have a strong feeling I might fail my test that's coming up so I want to book a cancellation straight after.

I use a cancellation app called Testi. It costs £9.99 for the premium version but it’s really good because it gives you notifications when a cancellation comes through. The only downside is if you don’t click it first you generally don’t get the cancellation (first come first serve). I have tried other more expensive apps that feature things like auto-booking but they never really seemed to work whatsoever
I use a cancellation app called Testi. It costs £9.99 for the premium version but it’s really good because it gives you notifications when a cancellation comes through. The only downside is if you don’t click it first you generally don’t get the cancellation (first come first serve). I have tried other more expensive apps that feature things like auto-booking but they never really seemed to work whatsoever

Well, I've failed my test. So it looks like I've got to look for a cancellation. Now that I've failed I definitely know why you felt the way you did, felt like I didn't care about driving anymore soon after I failed and still kinda do right now. I guess it just takes a while to get over a fail. Failed because of one serious fault as well (got 6 minors).

I've had my test in Wood Green and the next test available is in OCTOBER!! So at least be glad you don't have to wait that long to do another one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending