The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Dropping out of UoM

Hi

I'm a second year student at the University of Manchester. I'm studying Criminology and although I thought that this would be a subject that I would enjoy, I hate it. I think more than the subject, I hate university life and the whole environment causes me great anxiety and it's gotten me to a point where I don't attend lectures or seminars because I can't bear the thought of sitting in a classroom surrounded by people I don't know or care to know simply because I don't want to be there.

I'm not doing great in my coursework & exams and I'm only completing work to pass and not to try hard and achieve high grades. I know that people will say I only have one year left of my course but I can't imagine myself staying at uni for that year completing more assignments as well as a dissertation. I feel so unhappy and my mental health is declining. I have three assignments due in three weeks and I can't even bring myself to do them when I know I'm not going to get exceptional marks. If I continue and finish third year I'm going to graduate with a less than mediocre grade and it's not even going to be worth it.

My plan is to begin an apprenticeship, I know they're not as easy to get as they seem and it will take time so in the meantime I will get a day job and earn some money to save up to do important life things such as getting my driving license.

I'm worried about being perceived as a disappointment and a failure as a part of me already feels these things about myself, but I know that another year of uni is a terrible idea for me...

I would also like to know about the process of dropping out of my university, if anyone has gone through the withdrawal process at UoM please could you give me some information on it?

Let me know your thoughts on this situation it would be really helpful
Original post by Anonymous
Hi

I'm a second year student at the University of Manchester. I'm studying Criminology and although I thought that this would be a subject that I would enjoy, I hate it. I think more than the subject, I hate university life and the whole environment causes me great anxiety and it's gotten me to a point where I don't attend lectures or seminars because I can't bear the thought of sitting in a classroom surrounded by people I don't know or care to know simply because I don't want to be there.

I'm not doing great in my coursework & exams and I'm only completing work to pass and not to try hard and achieve high grades. I know that people will say I only have one year left of my course but I can't imagine myself staying at uni for that year completing more assignments as well as a dissertation. I feel so unhappy and my mental health is declining. I have three assignments due in three weeks and I can't even bring myself to do them when I know I'm not going to get exceptional marks. If I continue and finish third year I'm going to graduate with a less than mediocre grade and it's not even going to be worth it.

My plan is to begin an apprenticeship, I know they're not as easy to get as they seem and it will take time so in the meantime I will get a day job and earn some money to save up to do important life things such as getting my driving license.

I'm worried about being perceived as a disappointment and a failure as a part of me already feels these things about myself, but I know that another year of uni is a terrible idea for me...

I would also like to know about the process of dropping out of my university, if anyone has gone through the withdrawal process at UoM please could you give me some information on it?

Hello, I get your point and what you're currently going through is totally normal at some point in the Uni. Things start to feel as though they are falling apart bit by bit but you just have to find a way to keep yourself on the right track and not fall apart. In regard to your assignments as well as a dissertation, I can refer you to someone who may be of help so you decide which assignments to focus on and get help with the challenging ones.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Hi

hi did you drop out in the end?
Reply 3
Original post by stickylikehoney
hi did you drop out in the end?

Are you considering withdrawing?

I am told that the process for School of Social Sciences students has been streamlined (not sure about other Schools) so you can effectively do it by speaking to your Academic Advisor and the Wellbeing team, who can then sort it out between them. Sometimes there needs to be a chat with a programme director, but it's not always the case now.

In any case, if withdrawal is a serious consideration for you, I really encourage you to speak to your AA and see what the issues/thought processes leading to this point are. Theya re not there to talk you into staying, they are there to be a sounding board and offer practical advice. Give them a shout :smile:
Hi

I hope you finished your degree, because I wanted to study at UOM, but I decided not to apply as my predicted grades were significantly low for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending