The Student Room Group

driving test tmrw

anyone got any last min tips and, if you have failed before, what on?

also, has anyone been asked the 'open the bonnet' tell me questions before - nobody i know has been asked that before (probs cuz it's an effort for the examiner) so is it rare?
Original post by f0unk
anyone got any last min tips and, if you have failed before, what on?

also, has anyone been asked the 'open the bonnet' tell me questions before - nobody i know has been asked that before (probs cuz it's an effort for the examiner) so is it rare?

Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

It is a question they can ask. @Driving_Mad could offer tips :smile:
Just relax, have fun driving, and just think of it as a normal driving lesson. I failed twice: 1st - hesitated at the roundabout, to the point where the driver instructor had to shout at me to move eeek, 2nd - my steering, almost hit a car when I pulled out.

I've heard they haven't asked much about the bonnet, because of covid, but I won't risk not learning just in case.
Original post by TriplexA
Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:

It is a question they can ask. @Driving_Mad could offer tips :smile:

My guy I have my test tomorrow too, I’m ****ed myself :biggrin:

I say don’t worry about the “show me, tell me” questions because if you get both wrong that’s just two minors, no ?

My instructor hasn’t been through any of them with me so I’ll probably just tell the examiner I have no idea if I can’t figure it out for the tell me.

Show me questions I’ll probably read up on tonight quickly.

They also make you park on the left and move off a few times so don’t worry about it. I think that might be the reason I fail because I never got close enough to the curb.
Reply 4
Original post by IronWoman2002
Just relax, have fun driving, and just think of it as a normal driving lesson. I failed twice: 1st - hesitated at the roundabout, to the point where the driver instructor had to shout at me to move eeek, 2nd - my steering, almost hit a car when I pulled out.

I've heard they haven't asked much about the bonnet, because of covid, but I won't risk not learning just in case.

ahh what were your show me, tell me questions on each test. also, how often did the examiner get you to pull up?
Reply 5
Original post by Driving_Mad

I say don’t worry about the “show me, tell me” questions because if you get both wrong that’s just two minors, no ?

My instructor hasn’t been through any of them with me so I’ll probably just tell the examiner I have no idea if I can’t figure it out for the tell me.

They also make you park on the left and move off a few times so don’t worry about it. I think that might be the reason I fail because I never got close enough to the curb.

what time is yours? mine is 14:22... not looking good when i'm on the way back to the test centre with stupid school bikes going in and out of the roads (esp when one is right round the corner)

Good luck for it.

Worst case scenario is you don't pass but you can always resit if it comes to that! :smile:

Do update me regardless.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 7

Only actually one minor for both questions. The show me question catches people out more as they get distracted from the road when looking for the controls. Ideally you should know where the controls are but if you are not sure you can just say "I don't know" and they will pull you up and show you where they are.
Original post by f0unk
ahh what were your show me, tell me questions on each test. also, how often did the examiner get you to pull up?

My tell me question was how do I check the oil level - which I said the check the oil dipstick identify min and max. The show me, I was asked to clean the rear window (this was my third test). Good luck!!!

1st test - tell me - how to switch from dipped to main beam, and how would I know, I didn't get to the show me, because I failed lol
2nd test - tell me - how would I know if there was a problem with ABS, and didn't get to the show me because I failed again
I was asked twice to pull up, which one I was asked to do an emergency stop, and then do a right hand side parking

Good luck!!! :smile:
Original post by TheDE
Only actually one minor for both questions. The show me question catches people out more as they get distracted from the road when looking for the controls. Ideally you should know where the controls are but if you are not sure you can just say "I don't know" and they will pull you up and show you where they are.

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure both my show me/tell me Q's were before we got underway, (test around 8-9 years ago now). More true to life to ask whilst you are driving though.
Reply 10

how did it go?
Original post by f0unk
how did it go?

I passed, how about you ?

@TriplexA I passed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending