The Student Room Group

The Prelude and Exposure AQA

I have wrote part of an answer to " Explore how the poets present the power of nature." If someone could give me some constructive criticism that would be nice :smile: (sorry if there are any typos)

Wordsworth emphasises the frightening attributes of nature. This is apparent as Wordsworth describes a "willow tree". The melancholic nature of a "willow" juxtaposes the fruitfullness of a "tree" and this emphasises the encompassing characteristics of nature and how it can be feared but cherished at the same time since it is a predominant part of the world. Furthermore, the juxtaposition highlights the unpredictability of nature which reflects Wordsworth's "rocky" childhood permeated with loss and isolation due to his father's death. Additionally, the pre-modifying adjective "willow" sounds insignificant to reflect how we humans take nature for granted but "willow" also seems medicinal to contrast this lack of influence and this implies that nature has the power of life and death over a human being, yet we ignore this fact. In this respect, Wordsworth's childhood aided him to accept veracious truths about the world. Similarly, Owen alludes to the ruthlessness of nature which is evident as Owen states how the "air shudders". The dynamic verb "shudders" literally conveys the harsh, "iced" weather that Owen had to experience while he was writing " Exposure" in the trenches. Moreover, the dynamic verb "shudders" connotes how nature is potentially furious at man for starting conflict and this strengthens nature's aggressive attributes. Therefore, both Wordsworth and Owen have demonstrated nature's perennial power over man, however Owen pertains to nature's provoked anger more frequently in comparison to Wordsworth.
wow this is amazing i know you uploaded this a year ago but me being in year 11 now and im going to be doing a checkpoint tomorrow on this question i have amazing sentences to use so thank you very much. Also your analysis is amazing youve gone into detail with the quote and linked to context too. The only thing i would say is to maybe talk about why the poets wanted to present nature this way and the background behind them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending