The Student Room Group

A level options

Is maths, physics and computer science a good combination?(I do combined science at gcse level)
Original post by Kaylo_12
Is maths, physics and computer science a good combination?(I do combined science at gcse level)

A good combination with what aim / goal? What do you hope to do after A levels?
Original post by Kaylo_12
very solid combo for career paths relating to engineering, physics, maths, comp sci.
if you are able, i would also add further maths as top unis like to see further maths. but if you aren't confident you can meet entry requirements with 4, then your current combo is fine.
Reply 3
Original post by ismaelishere
very solid combo for career paths relating to engineering, physics, maths, comp sci.
if you are able, i would also add further maths as top unis like to see further maths. but if you aren't confident you can meet entry requirements with 4, then your current combo is fine.
That sounds great, those are the fields I'm interested in. Maths is my best and favourite subject, doing further maths would be no problem to me. Will there be a massive amount of extra work, or would it be manageable? How many extra lessons would I have? Also, I will be sitting A-level Polish exams at the end of Yr11,so I will already have a 4th A-level, if that is of any relevance.
(edited 1 month ago)
Further maths is another A-level, so it's however many lessons you have for any other subject I'm pretty sure.

In my sixth form that's 4 extra lessons (I take 4 subjects, and each subject is 4 lessons/week so I have 16 lessons rather than 12).
I don't do further maths but some of my friends do and it's just like any other A-level.

In terms of extra work being manageable or not I do know some people who have dropped further maths, it's pretty common - but honestly lots of people drop their 4th subject no matter what it is, and if you enjoy maths it's definitely worth considering taking it.
Maybe have a look at the course in more detail if you're looking at taking it in a specific sixth form. It might be good to see what topics there are and if you find them interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest