The Student Room Group

LearnDirect Stonebridge Associated Colleges

Hi everyone, I signed up for a course with Stonebridge college in September 2021 which I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period. Despite having proof that my course is cancelled, I was still harassed & threatened with debt collectors and after some snooping around, it seems that a lot of people have had this problem.
So I’ve reported Stonebridge to Trading Standards, and I’ve started a petition on Change.org to hold Stonebridge accountable.
Could you please let me know in the comments what your experiences have been?
ignore all communication from them and if you can, screenshot or record evidence of communication (and also that you’ve tried to cancel). you will need this in case they decide to pass you on to the debt collectors. they did this with me but luckily i had loads of evidence and the debt collectors backed away.
Any idea what to do with the UKSL if I haven’t got any screenshots or anything? I’ve complained a few times about not having satisfactory service for what I was paying for
Having just read your message, I’ve got a terrible sinking feeling. I signed up 6 weeks ago and have been enjoying the challenge but want to change from the Access to HE diploma (science) to Access to HE diploma (health professionals), as I have only completed the first 2 units I thought it would be a simple switch-how wrong could I have been. Seemingly no one at Stonebridge College is able to help, I have been passed from pillar to post on the phones (when they do answer), on online chats, that just stop mid flow, by email and through the messaging system. I feel so cross as clearly from what I’ve since discovered online about Stonebridge is anything but positive and they are taking my money but providing no support. From what I have read so far, there seems to be few avenues to choose for complaining about online education providers, which seems rather unfair.
Have you had any success with your problem?

Original post by Tabithahx
Hi everyone, I signed up for a course with Stonebridge college in September 2021 which I cancelled within the 14 day cooling off period. Despite having proof that my course is cancelled, I was still harassed & threatened with debt collectors and after some snooping around, it seems that a lot of people have had this problem.
So I’ve reported Stonebridge to Trading Standards, and I’ve started a petition on Change.org to hold Stonebridge accountable.
Could you please let me know in the comments what your experiences have been?
Reply 4
Original post by FiddySmonk
Any idea what to do with the UKSL if I haven’t got any screenshots or anything? I’ve complained a few times about not having satisfactory service for what I was paying for

Hi can anyone help I signed up with them in 2019 I enrolled onto the course, I was expecting to finish before September in order to start university in September however the person who enrolled me told me that it will be fine and that I would be able to do so but after speaking to the HE manager of my course I got advised otherwise and got told that I was wrongly informed. Following that email I repeatedly called to cancel the course and got told that there was a communication issue on your side as the “enrolment team” must have been wrongly informed too and that although I am out 14-day cancellation period as the mistake was not on my side I should be able to cancel the course. I did not start the course on the learn-direct platform because of the unrealistic finish date which is why I do not see why I should be paying for a course that I have been wrongly advised to start and should not have been enrolled on to as well did not start. As already stated the HE manager informed me that I have been wrongly advised as well as the person I spoke to on the phone.

Since this they have not cancelled and refer me to debt collectors UKSL does anyone have advice on how to to not pay
Reply 5
Oh dear
I had different problems with Stonebridge, when I wanted to swap my course for another, which after many attempts of failed communication, being cut off on the phone and during online chats and told to call other departments. I sent a recorded letter to the supposedly correct department and didn’t receive any response. It was only when I mentioned seeking legal advice that my issue was resolved and I think unfortunately that is what it takes for them to take notice.
It is probably worth getting some help from the Citizens Advice Bureau if you can and make sure you read their legal small print so at least you are forearmed.
Good luck, I hope you get it sorted, it is hard work dealing with people who don’t seem to know to fully understand their own business.

Caroline

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending