The Student Room Group

Is philosophy and politics a useless degree?

I want to study philosophy and politics at uni of Bristol, Edinburgh or York, however I am not sure how good graduate prospects are. I am thinking of doing a masters in international relations after but I am not sure how respected politics and philosophy is when applying for a masters.
Original post by claudiaglanville
I want to study philosophy and politics at uni of Bristol, Edinburgh or York, however I am not sure how good graduate prospects are. I am thinking of doing a masters in international relations after but I am not sure how respected politics and philosophy is when applying for a masters.

What are your career goals and what qualifications do they preferably require? On their own, politics and philosophy you can’t overall do much with as it limits many job options, but depending on your career path there may be options open!

Hi!

By doing a combined course you are opening yourself up to more opportunities anyway, but having any degree is valuable as it demonstrates the ability to proficiently write, research and independently learn. With Philosophy being a more broad subject this will allow you to go into a variety of career choices, careers do not always have to be linked directly to the degree you are studying.

One popular option for Politics students is to work within the civil service and there are various schemes that you can sign up for to get started. These subject choices are also very useful for social research careers and there are opportunities to work within law sectors with these.

As for masters, it will depend on the universities own requirements for the specific course you wish to do but many only require a certain degree classification within a related discipline, in this case the humanities and social sciences.

Here is a link to a short quiz that will match you to future job recommendations based on your interests, skills and degree choice. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-match

Good luck with your studies :smile:

Trinity
2nd Year Politics and Sociology
Reply 3
Original post by greentiger
What are your career goals and what qualifications do they preferably require? On their own, politics and philosophy you can’t overall do much with as it limits many job options, but depending on your career path there may be options open!

This is tosh. You can basically do whatever any other non-vocational course allows you to do, and the employment stats year on year show this to be the case.

@claudiaglanville
Graduate prospect statistics are very misleading, for instance they typically measure any form of employment a Universities graduates have after 12 months so a little too much is read into them. Quite a lot of philosophy students end up in middle management positions eventually, depending of course in what you progress onto. What is it you want to do career wise?

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending