The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Craghyrax

I'm afraid that's a very real truth when it comes to different colleges. Especially with regards to the Arts which tend to be less structured. Last year I was so annoyed because SPSers at Kings have organised DoSs who give them one essay a week and two for the holidays, and that's that! I had two or three - the first term being made up of three very stress full four-essays-in-8-days stretches :>.<: Newnham must simply be more organised than Emma with regards to MML :dontknow:

This computer is so slow! :mad: Right food :vroam:

That's outrageous :eek: . Why don't they just apply that to all colleges? :hmpf:. We do the whole "4-essays due at once and then nothing for ages" thing too. :hmpf:
Reply 181
Nina
About supervision disparity, I'm running (as per my role on CUSU) a survey to establish the variance between colleges for each subject. It should be out by the end of the week and I'll let you know when it is.

As long as it's not like one of the varsity "BASED ON 1% OF CAMBRIDGE STUDENTS, WE DRAW A SHOCKING CONCLUSION!1!!11" surveys :p:
Well I'm running it, so no.
Ooooh time to go to fudge tasting at the union. I don't know anyone going, but its worth it for free fudge! :teeth:
Reply 184
I'm afraid that's a very real truth when it comes to different colleges. Especially with regards to the Arts which tend to be less structured. Last year I was so annoyed because SPSers at Kings have organised DoSs who give them one essay a week and two for the holidays, and that's that! I had two or three - the first term being made up of three very stress full four-essays-in-8-days stretches Newnham must simply be more organised than Emma with regards to MML

And some colleges just like giving out more work, it seems! For French lit, as well as the fortnightly supervisions which is standard for all colleges, we also have a seminar the other week (with work to do for it). And let us not forget the 'optional compulsory' seminar for all the Caius' MML-ers.

KT, I am madly jealous of your workload, mine is much more like Zoe's (and I'm post-Alevel, so I get an essay a week as well!)
Reply 185
Crazy_emz
And some colleges just like giving out more work, it seems! For French lit, as well as the fortnightly supervisions which is standard for all colleges, we also have a seminar the other week (with work to do for it). And let us not forget the 'optional compulsory' seminar for all the Caius' MML-ers.

KT, I am madly jealous of your workload, mine is much more like Zoe's (and I'm post-Alevel, so I get an essay a week as well!)

Ah, we get those too! Although they're critical theory, & have actually overlapped nicely with my essay topics/personal interests so far, so I can't really complain :biggrin:

As for my workload, I certainly don't feel like I get off easy...
I spent all of Saturday in my room doing work, if that makes anyone feel less jealous!
Reply 186
Craghyrax
My head hurts :frown: And I still have an essay to finish and loads of reading waiting :frown: I'm just taking a break and going to hall, and then back to work.

I am utterly stuffed! Also after my lecture I went to the library to get books for the next essay due on Thursday, and they didn't have any of them!!! :eek: :eek: :eek3: I'm going to have to spend the whole day in the UL tomorrow. I guess this serves me right for crowing about how I never have to walk anywhere... :rolleyes:
It would be outdated now with John's having just changed. Peterhouse changes a little bit from year to year.
Thanks :smile: I'm sure no one reported me. I'm sure they've had their eye on me for ages and were just passing through - the thread was pretty high profile and several mods had been in it, one to answer a report I made. And I wasn't warned so I didn't mind. I've not been warned yet, so I'd feel a bit miffed if I mucked up my goody two shoes record :p: You laugh... I only just cleared all the chocolate off of my earphones to use with my laptop in the library :hmmm:

I'm afraid that's a very real truth when it comes to different colleges. Especially with regards to the Arts which tend to be less structured. Last year I was so annoyed because SPSers at Kings have organised DoSs who give them one essay a week and two for the holidays, and that's that! I had two or three - the first term being made up of three very stress full four-essays-in-8-days stretches :>.<: Newnham must simply be more organised than Emma with regards to MML :dontknow:

This computer is so slow! :mad: Right food :vroam:

Poor Craggy :console:

Supervision was just terrible. Still, I've had a good one this week, so can't complain.
smilepea
LOL yes I know, I was in the lecture today :rolleyes: :p: It doesn't mean I have to like it though!!

I suppose. I just really, really hate cofactors. (And in general I don't like doing computations. V&M3 looks to be full of computations rather than proofs. Grrr.)
Reply 188
:hugs: for the Cragster and everyone having rubbish days :frown:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24634074-12377,00.html this will make you smile, it sure made me :biggrin:
Reply 189
squeezebox
@ mathmos: what do the numbers down the left hand side of Dr Cowley's notes signify? Like: 22/06, 22/03...its probably something really obvious that I'm not seeing.

tis where he was in previous years, like 22/06 is where they'd got up to after 22 lectures in 2006 (well I think that's what he said anywho)
Reply 190
Man, another 12 hour day. This is meant to be a doss week...!
I feel so fat. I literally just spent an hour eating free fudge. It's amazing. And union members get double loyalty card stamps till the end of the month :teeth:!!

I'm seriously considering going to gay life tonight. Hmmm...might text some people
Crazy_emz

Fortnightly supervisions? We have weekly ones for Spanish lit, maybe that's why my workload is large. We have a seminar as well, is yours that western culture one? If it was, I think myself and the other Emma Russianist were meant to be joining you for seminars (on Mondays right?) because we couldn't go to ours as we had a clash, but we've ended up going to Jesus on Thursdays instead.
Reply 193
Zoedotdot
Fortnightly supervisions? We have weekly ones for Spanish lit, maybe that's why my workload is large. We have a seminar as well, is yours that western culture one? If it was, I think myself and the other Emma Russianist were meant to be joining you for seminars (on Mondays right?) because we couldn't go to ours as we had a clash, but we've ended up going to Jesus on Thursdays instead.

i feel cheated, i only get fortnightly ones for Sp2. although tbh im not really complaining, i couldnt handle doing that much work. my dos does give an extra fortnightly supervision to everyone doing lit papers though, although this is just general literature essay writing technique.

i think fortnightly supervisions is the norm though. and whats all this seminar business? and western culture stuff? i dont have any of that.......
Reply 194
Craggy, do you want to borrow from Jesus again?
Reply 195
I can help if you need things we have at Trinity :smile:
Reply 196
Magdalene formal = candles = LBC with wax on.
Reply 197
Apagg
Craggy, do you want to borrow from Jesus again?

Thanks :smile: I've had a reply from my supervisor and we're going to move the supervision I think, which should make things more doable. I'll let you know if I change my mind though!
Reply 198
Ooo I'm going to a Magdalene formal tomorrow.
Reply 199
visesh
Ooo I'm going to a Magdalene formal tomorrow.

Tell your stomach to start bracing now..

Latest

Trending

Trending