The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Oh, and I've just tried to reorganise my bookcase. I think I've got rid of one of the double stacks, but I've also filled a shalf on a bookcase in another room and two shelves in the study :o: And I cannot fit all the pratchetts on one shelf, and I haven't comppleted the collection yet :dry:
Reply 3981
smilepea
Are you drunk, already?! :eek: :p:

hehe, no. Discworld quote. In response to Terry Pratchett being knighted.
Reply 3982
Scipio90
hehe, no. Discworld quote. In response to Terry Pratchett being knighted.

I thought it might have been something similar ... Discworld just goes over my head, but the jigsaw is nice :yep:
Reply 3983
smilepea
I thought it might have been something similar ... Discworld just goes over my head, but the jigsaw is nice :yep:

Jigsaw? And one of the reasons I love discworld so much is that every time I read it something new clicks - even on the fourth read of Thief of Time I was picking up new things :p:
Reply 3984
Gesar
Jigsaw? And one of the reasons I love discworld so much is that every time I read it something new clicks - even on the fourth read of Thief of Time I was picking up new things :p:

:yep: It's lovely, I hope we've still got it, tis round and everything :biggrin:

I've never read any of the books :o: my Dad tried to get me to read one of truckers/diggers/wings and I think I failed, miserably. Kinda like when I tried to read Hitchhikers :s-smilie:
Gesar

with you on that one!- i love the speed camera's in ankh morpork:p: and all the clever little puns he puts in!
he definitely deserves a knighthood- only got into discworld this summer but i love it now!! (i hated it when i tried it when i was younger- so its worth going back to!)
A Pre-emptive Happy New Year's to you all!!! :biggrin:
Reply 3986
smilepea
my Dad tried to get me to read one of truckers/diggers/wings and I think I failed, miserably. Kinda like when I tried to read Hitchhikers :s-smilie:

Those weren't so great...I don't think I've ever bothered to read Wings, after the first two. But it's hard to imagine anyone not liking the Discworld series. Try them again! But start with a recent one maybe (they don't need to be read in order).

And of course, anyone here who hasn't read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy really, really should. Though maybe ignoring the fifth book.
Reply 3987
I would argue that your reading sequence should be ordered by characters and their chronological appearance, so Guards! Guards! then Men At Arms etc or Wyrd Sisters then Witches Abroad... To not understand and appreciate how the characters develop and become established (I include Ankh Morpork as a character) is to miss out on a lot.
Reply 3988
Tom
Those weren't so great...

:frown: :confused:
I can't believe I actually almost missed the New Year's countdown ('tis 2.20am here). Only realised it was midnight when I started hearing fireworks outside, at which point my computer clock was still 11.59pm so I still managed to countdown. :smile:

And Discworld is amazing. The first Discworld book I ever read put me off at first (The Last Continent - bit hard to get the jokes if you don't know about Rincewind and the wizards, though I liked it when I went back a lot later after reading through most of the rest of the books), but the second one (The Truth) got me hooked. Agree about being able to re-read it, I've probably read each of the books at least twice (and some a lot more... like Thief of Time and The Truth and Going Postal...).

Hitchhiker's Guide is good but I agree about the fifth book - it left me feeling a bit of "I read my way through 5 books for this?!". :frown:
Reply 3990
smilepea
Are you drunk, already?! :eek: :p:

:rofl:
ukebert
I cannot fit all the pratchetts on one shelf

You'll have to give some to me :^^:
Scipio90
:frown: :confused:

They were dire.
Reply 3991
Truckers et al are better than the first few discworlds, though. The first few really were bad. Though then they got hundreds of times better :biggrin: Carpe Jugulum I think is my best one, mostly because of the epicness and the highly original ending.

And I actually prefer Dirk Gently's omnibus to Hitchhikers Guide :s-smilie:
Reply 3992
Craghyrax
They were dire.

:ymca:

They were awesome...
Reply 3993
Tom
Those weren't so great...I don't think I've ever bothered to read Wings, after the first two. But it's hard to imagine anyone not liking the Discworld series. Try them again! But start with a recent one maybe (they don't need to be read in order).

And of course, anyone here who hasn't read Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy really, really should. Though maybe ignoring the fifth book.

I'm just not very good at the whole reading thing :o: I can't actually remember the last book I read ....
Reply 3994
You poor mathmo :frown: Missing the truly fine things in life :no:

( :p: )
Reply 3995
The number of posts in this thread are near to catching up with your post total, Tom :p:
Tom
You poor mathmo :frown: Missing the truly fine things in life :no:

( :p: )

:ditto: :flowers:
EDIT: Happy New Year all :king1:
First post of 2009!* Happy new year, everyone. :smile:

*not counting edits :p:

Zhen Lin
Sleepy? :hmmm: Surely the adjective of choice is late. </injoke>

Well, the two are undoubtedly related. :p:
Gesar

This. I loved them when I read them 8 years ago, I love them now, even though I laugh at different things :smile: Terry Pratchett is second only to PG Wodehouse as a plotsmith, and unparalleled as a parodist. Is that even a word?

And HHGTTG is fantastic also.

Happy New Year everybody :biggrin: I spent last night/early morning playing Balderdash with some friends of mine :smile:
Reply 3998
happy new year!
Reply 3999
Chess Piece Face

*not counting edits :p:

:huff:

Latest

Trending

Trending