The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1180
ukebert
Basically it was doing a bending experiment on a rigid bar, and using dim anal to derive a formula for the displacement :smile:

Sounds fun...
Reply 1181
ukebert
Basically it was doing a bending experiment on a rigid bar, and using dim anal to derive a formula for the displacement :smile:

Oh right (didn't mean to delete my post, was just adding some stuff to it)

Engineering seems to place a lot of value on dim anal, much more than physics when you'd think it'd be the other way around (i.e. engineers looking for exact solutions and physicists just relationships...) - don't you have like a whole lecture course on it?
Scipio90
Sounds fun...

It was actually :p:

MC REN
Oh right (didn't mean to delete my post, was just adding some stuff to it)

Engineering seems to place a lot of value on dim anal, much more than physics when you'd think it'd be the other way around (i.e. engineers looking for exact solutions and physicists just relationships...) - don't you have like a whole lecture course on it?

Well, it's only about 4 lectures :p:

We do, and I think part of the reason is because of scaling. There are techniques in Dim Anal that allow you to scale up a model into real life, and vice versa. If you are building a model of a building and testing it in a centrifuge, those results are fairly meaningless unless you can extrapolate what will happen to the real building. It's all quite interesting, and it explains why models of boats are always proportioned so differently than their reall counterparts. It all depends on the ratio between the dimensionless group.
Reply 1183
smilepea
thanks minimo, craggy and ukebert :smile: I don't think I deserve the sympathy tbh as most of my problems are self inflicted :o: however luckily my coat was still in the JCR when I went there at lunch time :smile:

It's quite alright to moan about self-inflicted stuff! Half my 'moans' are about things I've brought on myself :p:
Reply 1184
:ditto: Mine too - e.g. choosing to study at Cambridge :p:
Craghyrax

:rofl: I think we all feel that at times though. :yep:
Every single day.
Argh argh argh, my grammar sheet is completely incomprehensible, my golden age Spanish translation is completely incomprehensible, I have 7 pieces of work due before Tuesday as well as trying to locate some flyers that have disappeared, put up 100 posters, make and print 320 tickets, write a manifesto/prepare for hustings for ECSU council and actually eat/sleep/plan for our staircase party tomorrow night.

It's going to be another bad weekend :frown:
Reply 1188
Judging by the increasingly pleading emails, the person attempting to get compscis to volunteer for any of the student rep-type things is worthy of sympathy.
Craghyrax

:ditto:
Craghyrax

Never! I don't want to leave...the thought of graduating actually depresses me :frown:
jcb914
I've NEVER been before, but am considering it too. How does it work? Do I need to register when I arrive or something? And what's with all the see-through bags??!!....

Erm, god knows. I can't remember if I originally registered, but now I just scan my card to go in. Incidentally, you can only borrow books if you're in your finals year, which can make things annoying if you aren't - I just had two obscure papers to read, so was able to do it there. I think the see-through bags are something to do with taking books in, but I'm not really sure... Anyway, personally I found the place to be awesome. I discovered a large handwritten tome in a script I didn't recognise, which given I'm a writing system geek is pretty surprising - after a bit of research, I still have no idea what it is. Possibly some kind of obscure Indian syllabary.
MC REN

Hmm, my old QB supervisor used to love dim anal, but they didn't seem so keen on it when I did maths B. I suppose because it's less applied, although it's still pretty damn physics oriented.
Scipio90
Judging by the increasingly pleading emails, the person attempting to get compscis to volunteer for any of the student rep-type things is worthy of sympathy.

Haha, I can imagine that. By contrast, there's usually little problem finding reps among arts students.
Reply 1192
Hmm, I think I might go and hand in some work, then sleep.
Scipio90
Hmm, I think I might go and hand in some work, then sleep.

I have a long night ahead of me, but luckily I also have vodka :teeth: (although I'd like to point out that I'm not just going to be sitting in my room working and drinking, both will be happening socially!)
Supergrunch
Erm, god knows. I can't remember if I originally registered, but now I just scan my card to go in. Incidentally, you can only borrow books if you're in your finals year, which can make things annoying if you aren't - I just had two obscure papers to read, so was able to do it there. I think the see-through bags are something to do with taking books in, but I'm not really sure... Anyway, personally I found the place to be awesome. I discovered a large handwritten tome in a script I didn't recognise, which given I'm a writing system geek is pretty surprising - after a bit of research, I still have no idea what it is. Possibly some kind of obscure Indian syllabary.

Snow Runes :yes:
Reply 1195
I somehow have cramp in my arm :frown:
Reply 1196
Scipio90
I somehow have cramp in my arm :frown:

Not enough salt :yep:

Also I'm going to a swap tonight, uni women's rugby with caius men's rugby ... I'm guessing this will not end well ....

although hopefully I won't fall on my face tonight as I won't be drinking lol
Reply 1197
smilepea
although hopefully I won't fall on my face tonight as I won't be drinking lol

That was my plan last night. It didn't work :p:
Reply 1198
Scipio90
That was my plan last night. It didn't work :p:

yer I'd doubtful about how well my plan will go, but I'm not meant to drink as I've got an assessmenty thing tomorrow and it said in the bumff about it to get a good nights sleep the night before ... :s-smilie:
Reply 1199
What sort of assessmenty thing?

Latest

Trending

Trending