The Student Room Group

Calorie deficit is not working

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zerforax
You need to speak to a different doctor. You need to be taking medication for the PCOS/insulin resistance otherwise your body can't break down fat to lose weight.

I would really like to speak to a private doctor as my GP is awful. When I do manage to get an appointment, I constantly get fobbed off. I used to be on metformin but then there was so research change and they stopped prescribing it for PCOS. I take Levothyroxine for the hypothyroidism but that took nearly 18 months before they would even test my blood and kept saying it was just depression and that I live a busy life. I'm acutely conscious that being overweight puts pressure on my heart and circulatory system which impedes my health, so I don't understand why they won't let me talk to an endocrinologist or dietician which would help me lose weight and benefit my health.
Before I had a family and full time job, I used to love the gym (hence my username) but now life has changed significantly and I work in an office with no time to train. I have a great job but I hate what my body has become and it's immensely frustrating.
Hi. A good way to counter insulin resistance is intermittent fasting. Try starting with hours fasting:eating at 16:8. Once your body is used to that, go with 20:4. After hour 14 of fasting your body goes into ketosis which will help with the insulin resistance.
Original post by NYMLxTSR
Hi. A good way to counter insulin resistance is intermittent fasting. Try starting with hours fasting:eating at 16:8. Once your body is used to that, go with 20:4. After hour 14 of fasting your body goes into ketosis which will help with the insulin resistance.

I must admit, that's something I've not tried. I don't really understand how it works and always cautious of what I read on the internet. What sort of diet do you follow when you break your fast?
Ok let's completely ignore some of the other people on this thread- fasting and eating next to nothing as well as strictly regimenting when and what you're eating is not going to help. Your body is not getting the nutrition it needs and therefore it is trying to retain as much weight as it can.
Have you tried going to bed earlier and then getting up earlier so that you can do some exercise? E.g. during exam season where I had to just day at home doing 9 hours of revision, I would always get up earlier and go for a decent walk (5k or so) just to get my body moving and get some exercise for the day- this will kickstart your metabolism and allow you to not only eat decently with proper nutrition but also be able to use some of the protein and carbs that you eat (bc from your op it seems that you are trying to eat lots of protein but you're not actually doing anything to utilise it).
I'm sorry that you have such annoying medical stuff that has made it really difficult for you that really sucks :/ I would try to stick to breakfast, possible morning snack, lunch, possible afternoon snack and dinner- eating regularly but not having to have massive portions might help to sustain you throughout the day and keep you feeling less tired? Also yes I would still recommend talking to a dietitian- this kind of thing is their job :smile:
Original post by Gym Bunny
I must admit, that's something I've not tried. I don't really understand how it works and always cautious of what I read on the internet. What sort of diet do you follow when you break your fast?

Your choice really: as long as you know you’re getting all your nutrients. A lot of people that like to fast also go on a ketogenic diet to burn fat quickly. Personally, I like having a balanced diet with fruit, veg, and protein.
Original post by musicalrose
Ok let's completely ignore some of the other people on this thread- fasting and eating next to nothing as well as strictly regimenting when and what you're eating is not going to help. Your body is not getting the nutrition it needs and therefore it is trying to retain as much weight as it can.
Have you tried going to bed earlier and then getting up earlier so that you can do some exercise? E.g. during exam season where I had to just day at home doing 9 hours of revision, I would always get up earlier and go for a decent walk (5k or so) just to get my body moving and get some exercise for the day- this will kickstart your metabolism and allow you to not only eat decently with proper nutrition but also be able to use some of the protein and carbs that you eat (bc from your op it seems that you are trying to eat lots of protein but you're not actually doing anything to utilise it).
I'm sorry that you have such annoying medical stuff that has made it really difficult for you that really sucks :/ I would try to stick to breakfast, possible morning snack, lunch, possible afternoon snack and dinner- eating regularly but not having to have massive portions might help to sustain you throughout the day and keep you feeling less tired? Also yes I would still recommend talking to a dietitian- this kind of thing is their job :smile:

I would love to be able to go for a walk, I live in a lovely area. But I'm on my own at home, so can't leave my 7 years old daughter on her own in the house. I miss my cycle commute and after work gym session, it sustained my mental health as much as my physical health. What are your thoughts on online exercise programs?
Original post by musicalrose

Fasting doesn’t mean you have to eat next to nothing. You can have a healthy diet while fasting. Fasting does in fact help with OP’s insulin resistance, letting OP lose the fat they want to lose. This is because fasting puts the body into ketosis - a process where the body converts fat into energy for the body. As long as OP is getting enough nutrients during their eating window, this may be one of the best solutions for them.
I am a single parent (during the week, my husband works away from home) working full time and doing an MPhil, there's not even 10 minutes that I can take to go for a walk. I wake up at 0550hrs and go to bed at 0200hrs. I have spoken to my doctor at length and asked for second opinions but all I get told is that I should eat a keto based diet and keep taking my medication. It is hugely frustrating and frankly depressing. I was hoping that maybe there's somebody on here that may have experience of PCOS and/or hypothyroidism that could suggest something. There's lots of stuff online about either PCOS or hypothyroidism but very little of dealing with both conditions at the same time.

Just so you know, sleep deprivation also significantly hinders weight loss.
Original post by Ellie_thomas
Just so you know, sleep deprivation also significantly hinders weight loss.

It's definitely hindering my mental health.
I have PCOS and hypothyroidism, so losing weight is really hard. I have absolutely no opportunity to exercise during the day, so I have to rely on my diet to control my weight. My PCOS causes insulin resistance and hypothyroidism drastically reduces my BMR. My doctor won't do anything and has been utterly useless when I've tried to talk to him about it.

I have gradually lowered my calorie intake to 750 and try to keep my carb intake below 30g. I like to eat as clean as possible, so no refined sugar, no dairy (allergy), not much meat and cook vegetable based dishes from scratch.

My daily diet is:
0600hrs - tea with oat milk
0800hrs - protein shake made with water
0950hrs - black coffee
1000hrs - broccoli and white fish
1230hrs - salad with a protein, no dressing
1400hrs - greek coffee and a couple of dates
1700hrs - zoodles and a protein (turkey breast or fish)

But despite reducing my calorie intake, reducing complex carbs and sugar, I am not losing any weight. I am always tired, skin looks awful and my mental health is rock bottom.

I am so sick of hearing that all it takes is a calorie deficit, when I am trying my hardest to reduce my calorie intake and it's still not working.

Hey :smile:

This is purely from experience, so I hope this helps.
Im not sure how 750 calories keeps you functioning, but I can assume that this may be the cause of your tiredness and energy being so low that if affects your day to day life even more.

I initally started to experiment the first few weeks looking at my own calorie maintainance. Seeing how many calories does it take to maintain the same weight over a 2 week period. Weighing myself at the end of each week in the morning after passing etc. I use this as a baseline.
From your second point, of tiredness and skin looking awful, could it be you're missing out on vital macros? I.e. your daily vitamins from your current fruit/ veggies aren't enough? Also, what is your sleeping schedule like? Rest is one of the most important factors when recovering so I hope you are getting enough hours in.

I know you have mentioned that you have no exericse during the day, but if you do have a chance before your breakfast or at night, a simple 5-10 minute walk or Yoga exercise. (mindfulness is also a shout :smile: )
As you seem quite reliant on caffeine during the day, I would be inclined to say that you may be building up more tolerance to it? I've personally reduced the caffeine to one coffee in the morning and trying to get my daily water intake to 2L-2.5L a day. But I'd stress the whole point of getting sleep in.
Also, I would swap the dates out for something else? I'm no expert in the food area, but I'd reccomend you speak to another doctor or a dietician to get a differing opinion.

Some apps I've used:
- Any sort of mindfulness app
- Myfitnesspal for tracking macros/calories/goal
(edited 1 year ago)
You say you cant leave your daughter alone. Take her with you on a walk

Why are you here making excuses? You want to change your life then change
Original post by wheresmyshoesat

This!
You say you live in a lovely area so that is even better. We are not sporty people but my daughter climbed the Langdale pikes at 8. Make it fun - a treasure hunt with a carrier bag, bingo to spot items that might be out there, a trip to the local shop to choose something for tomorrow's dinner, explore the area finding a slightly different route each day that you can look up on a (Google) map later.
All in all, there will be some changes that you may or may not like.
- Morning / Night workouts at home - ( not having to bring your daughter outside). (Loads of different exercises to do to get your bpm going)
- From a quick glance, you're doing an MPhil, Can you spare 20-30 minutes out of that time to exericse? What are your weekends like? Can you squeeze in an hours exericse at home on the weekend? Bringing your family out on a walk on sat/sun?
- Working through your lunch break at the NHS? Sounds like more stress when to you even when people should be entitled for an actual break. Are you allowed to actually be away from the desk for an hour without being called upon?
- I do worry as your lack calories/exhaustion/lack of sleep will just screw you over in the long-run too. Some drastic changes needs to be made to keep your sanity going and I hope you make small changes asap.

Why are you here making excuses? You want to change your life then change

Wow! You have no idea what my life is like! I am not making excuses, here's an entire breakdown of my day:
0550hrs wake up
0600hrs go downstairs and make breakfast and tea for daughter
0620hrs go upstairs and get daughter out of bed, washed and dressed
0645hrs take daughter downstairs for breakfast and make sure she eats as she gets distracted easily
0700hrs go upstairs and get self ready
0720hrs leave house and dog off at parents
0800hrs drop daughter off at school
0830hrs arrive at office
1700hrs leave work
1745hrs pick up dog and child
1800hrs arrive home and start homework with daughter
1830hrs start dinner
1900hrs sit down and eat dinner
1930hrs do literacy work with daughter
2000hrs put laundry on, do dishes, feed dog, clean dog mess up from the garden
2030hrs take daughter up to bed
2100hrs put daughter in bed and read story, cuddle, facetime husband
2130hrs go downstairs, do ironing, cleaning, preparing food for the next day, get school/work admin ready for next day
2230hrs sit down and study
0130hrs go upstairs and shower
0200hrs go to bed

Why can't I take my daughter for a walk with me? Please tell where in that schedule we are supposed to go for a walk????? Shall I get her up at 5am?? Jesus, came here for advice not judgement. I can't do a damn thing about my day, every single minute is planned. Do you think I want this? Do you think I want to be studying at 2230hrs and not getting any sleep? The only thing I have any control over is my diet and that's not working. How am I supposed to be a healthy role model for my daughter when I have to pretend to like my body?
You're not a healthy role model for your daughter. At all

You're complaining so I'm going to judge you. We're all trying to help by giving you advice and you're spitting in our faces, so why should we bother? Please tell me

Also: Stop using Military time. We're not in the 40s anymore

It's the 24 hour clock, it's a standard form of time.
How am I not a good role model? She needs to see a working woman who can be married and have children rather than being a mother and housekeeper like everyone else in her family. I didn't have a role model to look up to, all that was expected from me was to get married and have children. She needs to see that women can have it all, just like men.
I'm hardly spitting in anybody's faces, do you not think that I have tried many things that have been suggested? I am at the end of my tether, utterly fed up and miserable. I was hoping for suggestions of things that I haven't tried and fresh ideas on what to do.
Because if I'm not losing weight with a 750 calorie diet, then my BMR must be lower. Hypothyroidism massively reduces your BMR https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4044302/

If you were eating 750 calories, you would be losing weight. No human eats that little - okay, that was a lie, but very few people do. As I've said, go to the doctor (a different one if necessary) and sort out this issue.
It's the 24 hour clock, it's a standard form of time.
How am I not a good role model? She needs to see a working woman who can be married and have children rather than being a mother and housekeeper like everyone else in her family. I didn't have a role model to look up to, all that was expected from me was to get married and have children. She needs to see that women can have it all, just like men.
I'm hardly spitting in anybody's faces, do you not think that I have tried many things that have been suggested? I am at the end of my tether, utterly fed up and miserable. I was hoping for suggestions of things that I haven't tried and fresh ideas on what to do.

Unfortunately what she is probably seeing is that her mother has taken on too much. With everything else in your life - and now a dog has appeared too - you really didn't have capacity for the Mphil. Is the husband working away a temporary thing - if yes then I would think about pausing your studies until he is back. Your OP has you not eating in the evening so it is just your daughter's dinner. Keep that simple and nutritious as she will have had hot food at school and maybe snacks at after school club. Doesn't she get breakfast at Breakfast club or is it just childcare? Leave the washing and ironing till the weekend so that husband can help.
And we all gave you ideas... Which you're ignoring

So what do you want us to do? Wave a magic wand?

Saying that I can't do something because it's outside of my ability isn't ignoring it. Neither is saying that I have already tried something that has been suggested. I literally came here in the vain hope that somebody may have experience of weight loss with PCOS and hypothyroidism or may have some ideas that I haven't explored. You're an intelligent and experience bunch and honestly, it was a shot in the dark that maybe something might come from asking. There have been some answers which I hadn't thought of and will definitely explore, so it was worth it for that. There's no need to be nasty, I'm clearly having a really difficult time and I've already said that my mental health is appalling so I don't need your judgment and nastiness to make it worse. I am doing my best to be a good mum, a good career woman and a good wife.
Something has to give. You can’t carry on like this. When does your MPhil finish? If you can’t currently change your lifestyle, you may have to hold off on your weight loss goals until after your MPhil. Nobody can do everything perfectly at all times.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by ReadingMum
Unfortunately what she is probably seeing is that her mother has taken on too much. With everything else in your life - and now a dog has appeared too - you really didn't have capacity for the Mphil. Is the husband working away a temporary thing - if yes then I would think about pausing your studies until he is back. Your OP has you not eating in the evening so it is just your daughter's dinner. Keep that simple and nutritious as she will have had hot food at school and maybe snacks at after school club. Doesn't she get breakfast at Breakfast club or is it just childcare? Leave the washing and ironing till the weekend so that husband can help.

Unfortunately it's a long term thing with him being away. The school had to stop breakfast club due to Covid and it doesn't exist at all in Year 3. I could try eating at the same time as her. I eat as soon as I get in because I can get it done within 5 minutes. I literally take it out of the fridge and eat. I'm just worried about taking too much time. I am struggling to cope with it all.

Quick Reply

Latest