The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2023 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
In 2021/2022 a student from my university got into OMMS (not one of the universities mentioned above). He was top of class in year 2 and year 3. He finished OMMS with distinction, his acquired knowledge seemed to be ok for OMMS. However, Part III admission (I think part III is a bit more difficult) offered about 30% (30 out of 90 during the last years) a spot. Cambridge experiences seemed to be ok with people coming from the university I am attending.
On the other hand, most of those students are international students who attended a university in UK for their Bachelor studies. So, I am not sure if this is somehow important. But if Cambridge seems ok with other universities in the UK, Oxford might be biased in some ways.

could share which university it was that student got into OMMS from? also what was his average mark across the year 2 and year 3 (if you know)?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Prospective course: DPhil in Archaeology
Achieved (or expected) grade: Distinction
Current (or last) university: Oxford
Current (or last) course: MSc in Archaeology
College preferences: Jesus
Other universities you’re applying to: Durham

Good luck to everyone, I hope that we all get offers!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by soulthm
could share which university it was that student got into OMMS from? also what was his average mark across the year 2 and year 3 (if you know)?

KCL. According to the student‘s LinkedIn profile, he did get a first with 93%. And he did get prizes in years 2 and year 3. There are no additional information in the profile.
Original post by ByTor2112
Prospective course: DPhil in Archaeology
Achieved (or expected) grade: Distinction
Current (or last) university: Oxford
Current (or last) course: MSc in Archaeology
College preferences: Jesus
Other universities you’re applying to: Durham

Hey just wanted to ask if you waited a year between your MSc and the DPhil? I’m in the predicament that I’m starting an anthro MSc next week at Oxford and would like to apply to PhD programs afterwards (Oxford being 1 of them). But I’m not sure if I should apply when I’m like 2 months into the current course or finish my MSc then apply.
Original post by sweetscaphoid
Hey just wanted to ask if you waited a year between your MSc and the DPhil? I’m in the predicament that I’m starting an anthro MSc next week at Oxford and would like to apply to PhD programs afterwards (Oxford being 1 of them). But I’m not sure if I should apply when I’m like 2 months into the current course or finish my MSc then apply.

Yes, I have waited a year. A lot of academics I have discussed this with say that waiting a year gives you the advantage of having your MSc marks in hand when you apply for DPhil. The benefit of having marks in hand means that it is easier for the funding bodies (ex. Clarendon) to rank you for scholarships that are based on academic merit. However, there is no harm in applying for the DPhil during your MSc year. Even though it is more difficult to gain funding, it is not unheard of that funding is given to those applying during their MSc.

I did not apply for the DPhil during my masters because I did not want to distract myself from my MSc workload. However, if you are happy going through the applications process alongside your masters, it can be a good experience to apply!
Prospective course: DPhil International Dev
Achieved (or expected) grade: UG First, MPhil distinction
Nationality: Italian
Current (or last) university: Cambridge
Current (or last) course: MPhil African Studies
College preferences: not sure yet, potentially Magdalen?
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Reply 26
Prospective course: MSc in oncology/ immunology/ genetics
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.70/4.00 (First class)
Nationality: Indian
Current (or last) university: International Islamic University Malaysia
Current (or last) course: BSc Biotechnology
College preferences: not yet
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, Imperial, King's (not sure yet)

Hey guys! I just started to look into universities and courses. I am more inclined to do a master's by research so I will have to contact professors (which I haven't yet!). If anyone else is also applying for the same courses hit me up! :smile:
Prospective course: MSc Environment Change and Management
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.46/4.3 Korean GPA scale
Nationality: UK
Current (or last) university: KAIST (South Korea)
Current (or last) course: BSc Physics and Science Policy
College preferences: unsure
Other universities you’re applying to: LSE, Cambridge, (hold deferred offer from Sussex IDS)

Would be great to talk to more ECM or SEE applicants!
Prospective course: MSc Pharmacology
Achieved (or expected) grade: First Class with Distinction (9.32/10.00)
Current (or last) university: Pune University (India)
Current (or last) course: Bachelor of Pharmacy
College preferences: Not Selected
Other universities you’re applying to: Glasgow, Newcastle, Leeds and Cardiff
Offers Recieved: Newcastle and Leeds

(edited 1 year ago)
Prospective course: MSc in Education (Higher Education)
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.93/4.00
Current (or last) university: Top 50 US Liberal Arts College
Current (or last) course: Educational Studies
College preferences: Green Templeton College
------------------------------------
Any other MSc in Education applicant here? Also, I'm surprised at the lack of traffic on this thread compared to previous years. :K:
Original post by lalicorne3013
Prospective course: MSc in Education (Higher Education)
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.93/4.00
Current (or last) university: Top 50 US Liberal Arts College
Current (or last) course: Educational Studies
College preferences: Green Templeton College
------------------------------------
Any other MSc in Education applicant here? Also, I'm surprised at the lack of traffic on this thread compared to previous years. :K:

Let’s hope it means less applicants so more spaces are available for us!
Prospective course: MSc Economics for Development
Achieved (or expected) grade: 1st (achieved)
Nationality: Polish/UK resident
Current (or last) university: University of Leeds
Current (or last) course: BSc Economics and Finance
College preferences: Balliol
Prospective course: MSt in English (650 - 1550)
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.68 undergraduate overall/3.9 in major (University of Southern California); 4.0 for my first Master's degree (Stanford University)
Nationality: United States
Current (or last) university: Stanford University
Current (or last) course: MA in Education
College preferences: Debating between Oriel, Merton, Magdalen, and Queen's
Other universities you’re applying to: None

Good luck to everyone applying! I'd be happy to chat with anyone else applying to English or just in general. :smile:
Just curious, it says on the self-service portal that you must submit your supporting documents before the application deadline to be considered for that deadline.

And the Self Service page on oxford says that "You must ensure that you upload any missing documents before the application deadline that you intend to meet."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/graduate/after-you-apply/self-service

Does that mean even if your one or more of your supporting documents aren't 'received' by the deadline (due to re-submission after rejection, etc), they're fine as long as they've been 'uploaded' to the portal before the deadline?
Prospective course: Msc in Psychological Research & Msc in Clinical and therapeutic neuroscience
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.79/4.00 (Canada)
Nationality: China
Current (or last) university: McGill University
Current (or last) course: Major in Psychology; Major in Computer Science
College preferences: St Johns, The Queens
Other universities you’re applying to: McGill, UCL, NYU, Columbia, Dartmouth, Berkeley

Does anyone know why there is no Bachelor of Arts - Non Honours option under degree in the applications? Honours system in McGill is a bit different than the universities in UK.
I rhi
Original post by Anonymous
Prospective course: Msc in Psychological Research & Msc in Clinical and therapeutic neuroscience
Achieved (or expected) grade: 3.79/4.00 (Canada)
Nationality: China
Current (or last) university: McGill University
Current (or last) course: Major in Psychology; Major in Computer Science
College preferences: St Johns, The Queens
Other universities you’re applying to: McGill, UCL, NYU, Columbia, Dartmouth, Berkeley

Does anyone know why there is no Bachelor of Arts - Non Honours option under degree in the applications? Honours system in McGill is a bit different than the universities in UK.

I think in the UK honours means that you have a final grade average that is above a pass! A non-honors degree basically isn't 'classed' in the UK sense, so it would just be a pass/fail degree. My US degree is just a BA but it's equivalent to a BA (Hons) in the UK :smile: Hope it makes sense!
(edited 1 year ago)
Prospective course: MSc Sustainability Enterprise and the Environment
Achieved (or expected) grade: 80%
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: Exeter (and have been working in Environmental Policy in government for a few years)
Current (or last) course: BSc Economics
College preference: Worcester
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, LSE, Imperial
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm thinking of applying to the MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience at Oxford, but it was very last minute and I'm worried whether I'm late to apply for the 1st December deadline? If anyone who has already applied has any experience, I'd love to know!
Original post by moonstones
Don't know if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm thinking of applying to the MSc Clinical and Therapeutic Neuroscience at Oxford, but it was very last minute and I'm worried whether I'm late to apply for the 1st December deadline? If anyone who has already applied has any experience, I'd love to know!

Well it's still before the deadline so I think it's fine! I'm not 100% sure but I think they start reviewing applications after the deadline has passed.
Original post by Livontheedge
I rhi

I think in the UK honours means that you have a final grade average that is above a pass! A non-honors degree basically isn't 'classed' in the UK sense, so it would just be a pass/fail degree. My US degree is just a BA but it's equivalent to a BA (Hons) in the UK :smile: Hope it makes sense!

Thank you ! That makes sense.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending