The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2023 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Prospective course: Environmental Change and Management (ECM)
Achieved (or expected) grade: Expected - first class
Nationality: Sri Lankan
Current (or last) university: University of London
Current (or last) course: International Development, BSc
College preferences: Mansfield
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, UCL

Hi everyone! Would be happy to connect with other ECM applicants!

Also if anyone has experience applying before, if applications are submitted in early December - does that also guarantee an earlier response than if submitted in January? I missed the November deadline so was just wondering.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by blackwidow9
Prospective course: Environmental Change and Management (ECM)
Achieved (or expected) grade: Expected - first class
Nationality: Sri Lankan
Current (or last) university: University of London
Current (or last) course: International Development, BSc
College preferences: Mansfield
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, UCL

Hi everyone! Would be happy to connect with other ECM applicants!

Also if anyone has experience applying before, if applications are submitted in early December - does that also guarantee an earlier response than if submitted in January? I missed the November deadline so was just wondering.

No it won't guarantee an earlier response as Oxford uses a gathered field approach! You'll hear back with people who apply by the January deadline :smile:
Hello, I recently realized that I may have made a mistake with a sentence (some logical error) in the written work I submitted for the November deadline in the process of downsizing my paper to fit the word count (basically the sentence doesn't exactly match what is described in the accompanying figure/graph). I am really frustrated that I discovered this after submitting it, especially since I'm pretty confident with the rest of my supporting documents. I'm wondering if this one-sentence anomaly will have a critical impact on the admission decision with regards to the written work, such as making the assessors believe that I have low analytical skills.

Does anyone know if the assessors just look at the overall picture of the work and the general academic English writing skills of the applicant, or if they really tend to read every single word and sentence carefully as if they would assess a journal article candidate for publishing? I sincerely hope that one logical error in a sentence won't bother the assessors much in terms of their holistic assessment of my written work.
anyone applied for A101?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I recently realized that I may have made a mistake with a sentence (some logical error) in the written work I submitted for the November deadline in the process of downsizing my paper to fit the word count (basically the sentence doesn't exactly match what is described in the accompanying figure/graph). I am really frustrated that I discovered this after submitting it, especially since I'm pretty confident with the rest of my supporting documents. I'm wondering if this one-sentence anomaly will have a critical impact on the admission decision with regards to the written work, such as making the assessors believe that I have low analytical skills.

Does anyone know if the assessors just look at the overall picture of the work and the general academic English writing skills of the applicant, or if they really tend to read every single word and sentence carefully as if they would assess a journal article candidate for publishing? I sincerely hope that one logical error in a sentence won't bother the assessors much in terms of their holistic assessment of my written work.

I cannot speak on behalf of Oxford admissions people as I have never specifically been in their shoes. However, as some-one who has worked in university admissions (as an assessor) for the most part of my career, I can say with confidence that we assessors rarely look closely into each and every detail of a supporting piece/an application so much as consider that piece/app as a whole. Hope this respond comforts you somehow!
I cannot speak on behalf of Oxford admissions people as I have never specifically been in their shoes. However, as some-one who has worked in university admissions (as an assessor) for the most part of my career, I can say with confidence that we assessors rarely look closely into each and every detail of a supporting piece/an application so much as consider that piece/app as a whole. Hope this respond comforts you somehow!

Thank you very much! I'm definitely feeling better after your response.

I have certainly heard that supporting documents are reviewed holistically overall rather than in minute detail in order to choose the candidates that really fit the program at Oxford, so I'm still pretty confident going in!
Thank you very much! I'm definitely feeling better after your response.

I have certainly heard that supporting documents are reviewed holistically overall rather than in minute detail in order to choose the candidates that really fit the program at Oxford, so I'm still pretty confident going in!

My understanding is that they are not marking your written work for accuracy. The admissions team want to see that you can write in an academic style, especially since essays are an integral part of Oxford's system.

Don't sweat a typo!
(edited 1 year ago)
does anyone know which college Location 6 on the UCAS form corresponds to?
Original post by ByTor2112
My understanding is that they are not marking your written work for accuracy. The admissions team want to see that you can write in an academic style, especially since essays are an integral part of Oxford's system.

Don't sweat a typo!

Not exactly a typo, a sentence I wrote which describes the accompanying figure is logically reversed. For example, I wrote something like "2/3 of Males are football fans" when the figure was showing that 2/3 of football fans are male. Stupid mistake I made in the process of downsizing my essay but I guess I somehow failed to notice it before submission.
But as you say, I still think it's something trivial and I hope that the assessors will consider it as a trivial mistake as well and won't think too much of it! Maybe they won't even spot the minor error hopefully, since I don't they will read the essays in minute detail.
Original post by soulthm
Does Oxford not like students from Nottingham? A friend my average 90% in her undergrad maths course, did a summer research project, mentored 1st and 2nd years whilst in her third year but she got rejected when applying for a OMMS. I can only think that Oxford don't value the course at Nottingham. She's at warwick now doing a masters there.

I came from Nottingham and I am currently on the OMMS course
Prospective course: DPhil in Mathematics
Achieved (or expected) grade: First class at undergraduate
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: University of Oxford
Current (or last) course: MSc in Mathematical Sciences
College preferences: Keble
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
Prospective course: MPhil in History (Modern European History 1850-)
Achieved (or expected) grade: First
Nationality: French
Current (or last) university: King's College London
Current (or last) course: History and International Relations
College preferences: Pembroke, but not really sure
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge, LSE, KCL

Any other History applicants (or current students) here :-)?
Do you know when Oxford usually interview the candidates? Is it December or is it early next year?
Original post by expirydate
Do you know when Oxford usually interview the candidates? Is it December or is it early next year?

Usually early next year
does oxford work on a rolling basis?
I came from Nottingham and I am currently on the OMMS course

nice! can I ask what your average grade was and any tips on how to go about it e.g. options, research projects etc?
anyone submitted their applications for any of the bio related courses (pharmacology, biochemistry etc)?
hi I submitted my DPhil application yesterday and received this...does anyone know what it means?

"Ready for assessment in December Deadline :
Your application can be or has been considered by the relevant academic department. The Graduate Admissions website provides further information on the graduate admissions timetable and process.
Documents submitted after the application deadline may not be taken into account by the academic department."
Prospective course: DPhil Future Propulsion and Power (EPSRC CDT)
Achieved (or expected) grade: 1st Class
Nationality: British
Current (or last) university: Southampton BEng, Imperial MSc
Current (or last) course: Aeronautical Engineering
College preferences: Balliol
Other universities you’re applying to: Cambridge
hi I submitted my DPhil application yesterday and received this...does anyone know what it means?

"Ready for assessment in December Deadline :
Your application can be or has been considered by the relevant academic department. The Graduate Admissions website provides further information on the graduate admissions timetable and process.
Documents submitted after the application deadline may not be taken into account by the academic department."

I believe this is a generic message everyone gets after the admissions office admins check whether the application has all relevant documents, whether they are in good format etc. This is basically a lengthy way of saying 'submitted'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending