The Student Room Group

Army Cadets or Air Force Cadets

So I’ve been conflicted on whether to choose army cadets or Air Force cadets. Today I visited the army cadet centre and made an application form (nothing confirmed) but didn’t get to see what activities happen and I’ve been trying to contact my local Air Force squadron but the number doesn’t exist anymore so I’m going to visit on their parade night to apply (again nothing confirmed) but I wanted to know summaries of the 2 different ones and what would be best to go for as I only have 2 years to participate (currently 16 and have until 18).
I can’t name anything that the Army Cadet Force do that you can’t do in the Air Cadets. Plus a lot more.
Air Cadet definitely a lot more mature and quite a few more opportunities, imho!
Original post by radbhak
So I’ve been conflicted on whether to choose army cadets or Air Force cadets. Today I visited the army cadet centre and made an application form (nothing confirmed) but didn’t get to see what activities happen and I’ve been trying to contact my local Air Force squadron but the number doesn’t exist anymore so I’m going to visit on their parade night to apply (again nothing confirmed) but I wanted to know summaries of the 2 different ones and what would be best to go for as I only have 2 years to participate (currently 16 and have until 18).

Hiya, Lance Corporal in the ACF here (hope I'm not too late to the party, lol).

As @DeltaAlpha said, the air cadets can provide the same as the ACF plus a lot more. Originally I wanted to join the air cadets but couldn't find parade nights that suited me, so I went to the army cadets instead. I was also a late joiner at the age of 14, and my training was largely disrupted by covid, so I did about half my basic at the age of 16+. Even as a late joiner, I've managed to progress very far in a short amount of time, and as long as you're proactive you can expect to do the same (you at least should be able to pass your 1 star training by the time you age out imo). The air cadet syllabus seems much more expansive and I assume it might be harder to progress with the air cadets, but this is more of a guess than anything (if any air cadets can comment on this, then that would be very helpful). Personally I've had a great time so far, but it does take a bit of resilience when doing you're basic as you will be doing things with people quite a bit younger (and quite a bit more irritating than yourself). Nonetheless, you'll make friends, especially within your detachment. Once you get to 1 star it becomes much better, as basic can be passed within 8 months off the top of my head, faster if you take advantage of all the opportunities given to you.

Anyway, I'll give you a quick run down on what you can expect in your star levels:

Basic - foundational skills, the general introduction to all aspects of the army cadet syllabus (Drill, PT, shooting, skill at arms, navigation, community engagement, fieldcraft, expedition training, adventure training, signals, military knowledge and first aid). Most of this will be done in detachment.
1 star - Building on what you learnt in basic, covering the same elements of the ACS. At 1 star you can expect to do more work in the field, staying out overnight, and shooting blank ammunition.
2 star - Building in complexity, preparing you for more advanced training at 3 star. The 2 star syllabus becomes a bit narrower, while the content covered is larger, at 2 star you will be doing drill, military knowledge, skill at arms, navigation, first aid, an expedition (equivalent to a bronze DofE, can also contribute to your DofE - highly recommend this as a DofE is far cheaper through the cadets), PT, shooting, community engagement, and fieldcraft.
3 star - you might just get to do some 3 star training if you manage to work through fast enough in the time you have; the 3 star syllabus covers some core subjects, instruction, and also optional fields.
4 star - any two options out of many choices, it's very unlikely that you'll get to 4 star with the time you have, I know I certainly won't.
Master cadet - requires the master cadet course, don't really know much about it as master cadets are pretty uncommon and I will age out far before I could ever become a master cadet.

The 1 star and 2 star training is a whole lot of fun, so don't worry if you can't reach the highest levels, it really isn't anything to stress about.

Anyway, to conclude, both choices are solid and just choose which one seems more attractive to you. I'm going off of personal experience in many cases and can't represent the ACF as a whole as things can vary from company to company; I strongly recommend you speak to instructors from both the air cadets and army cadets too. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or reply to me in this thread, hope this helped.
Reply 3
Original post by DeltaAlpha
I can’t name anything that the Army Cadet Force do that you can’t do in the Air Cadets. Plus a lot more.
Air Cadet definitely a lot more mature and quite a few more opportunities, imho!

Please no one listen to this. As an Army Cadet instructor who also works with Air Cadets occasionally, this is not true. You will not get to do the same things in the Air Cadets as in the Army Cadets. Firstly there are only so many hours in the day, so it just isn't possible to do all the activities that one organisation does plus "a lot more" in the same amount of time. Secondly, the syllabuses are just different.

I'll try to go through the similarities and differences:

Both the ACF and the ATC do similar activities, but where they do "the same thing" they do it to different degrees. The biggest subject in the ACF is fieldcraft. Now, the ATC do fieldcraft as well, but nowhere near the level or amount it is done in the ACF. You will learn more fieldcraft in the ACF and you will be doing it with a rifle and we will be using a good amount of pyrotechnics (smoke grenades, flares etc) when we can. This doesn't happen anywhere near as much in the ATC. I'm also a skill at arms instructor and I teach 12 year old Army cadets how to use the L98A2 cadet rifle so they can use it for 1 star fieldcraft and 2 star shooting. When I teach ATC cadets they are 16-17 years old a looking at doing the Junior Leaders course, which is the only real fieldcraft they do that is comparable to the ACF (sorry air bears, but that's just how it is).

Most ACF shooting is also on the L98A2 rifle, as opposed to the air rifle which we ditch after 1 star, with most shooting being done on outdoor "long" ranges. The ATC put a lot more emphasis on air rifle and .22 shooting on short ranges (25m or less), normally indoors.

Both the ACF and Air cadets do radio training, but it is more geared to civilian use. Army cadet radio training is focused on military radios used in the field.

Both ACF and Air cadets do ceremonial drill, but the ATC do a fair amount more, including drill competitions and such. If ceremonial is what appeals to you, the ATC is probably a better better.

Air cadets spend a lot of time learning about aircraft, which you won't do in the ACF. You have a better chance of flying in the ATC, though it isn't as good as it used to be TBH. Sometimes we get a helicopter to fly people around in the ACF, but most don't get that chance.

Both offer DofE and BTEC awards, so they are identical on this point.

Both offer similar levels of adventure training.

Both offer First Aid training, though the top ATC award is currently "Activity First Aid" and the ACF offer "Emergency First aid at Work" (EFAW) and "First Aid at Work" (FAW). If you want to show a First Aid certificate to an employer, EFAW and FAW are the ones most will want to see.

Air cadet uniform is shirt and trousers, or shirt and skirt, sometimes there is a tie involved. Combat uniform is private purchase, either by squadron or the individual. Army Cadet uniform is combat uniform.

The ACF is fieldcraft focussed and the ATC is plane focussed. If you join the ATC expecting to do both planes and fieldcraft, you will be extremely disappointed.

-------------------------

TL;DR: You will not get to do the same activities in the Air Cadets or Army Cadets. Neither offers "more" than the other. You need to choose which one interests you more. Air cadets focusses on planes and Army Cadets focusses on fieldcraft.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Talon
Please no one listen to this.

Notice how I said “in my honest opinion.”
Opinion being the key word.
Reply 5
Original post by DeltaAlpha
Notice how I said “in my honest opinion.”
Opinion being the key word.

It is an incorrect opinion that is not based on facts. Someone making a choice like this needs the facts, not falsehoods. Calling it your "honest opinion" doesn't mean that no one can challenge it.
Reply 6
Original post by Talon
Please no one listen to this. As an Army Cadet instructor who also works with Air Cadets occasionally, this is not true. You will not get to do the same things in the Air Cadets as in the Army Cadets. Firstly there are only so many hours in the day, so it just isn't possible to do all the activities that one organisation does plus "a lot more" in the same amount of time. Secondly, the syllabuses are just different.

I'll try to go through the similarities and differences:

Original post by J2OClips
Hiya, Lance Corporal in the ACF here (hope I'm not too late to the party, lol).

As @DeltaAlpha said, the air cadets can provide the same as the ACF plus a lot more. Originally I wanted to join the air cadets but couldn't find parade nights that suited me, so I went to the army cadets instead. I was also a late joiner at the age of 14, and my training was largely disrupted by covid, so I did about half my basic at the age of 16+. Even as a late joiner, I've managed to progress very far in a short amount of time, and as long as you're proactive you can expect to do the same (you at least should be able to pass your 1 star training by the time you age out imo). The air cadet syllabus seems much more expansive and I assume it might be harder to progress with the air cadets, but this is more of a guess than anything (if any air cadets can comment on this, then that would be very helpful). Personally I've had a great time so far, but it does take a bit of resilience when doing you're basic as you will be doing things with people quite a bit younger (and quite a bit more irritating than yourself). Nonetheless, you'll make friends, especially within your detachment. Once you get to 1 star it becomes much better, as basic can be passed within 8 months off the top of my head, faster if you take advantage of all the opportunities given to you.

Thank you both of you, I've decided to go for Air Cadets with new cadets joining on 28th September so I can't wait!
Hope you have enjoyed it!
Reply 8
Original post by radbhak

As a cadet from the army i can say that if you like fieldcraft and expeditions definately join the army but my brother is an air force cadet and he says he has been learning loads on planes so its personal preferance

Latest