The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Can you be referred when you have passed?

I’ve just got my results back from my first year and it says that I’ve been referred and have to complete extra work for the module I have “failed”. I received a Mid 3rd for the module in question as I didn’t complete one element weighting 40% as I was recovering from a short illness, and for the coursework that was worth 60%, i received a high 2.2. I’ve raked through the student handbook more times than I can count to see if there’s something I’ve missed but at every single point they say that the minimum pass grade is a low 3rd, so why have I got to complete referral work when I have technically passed this module?

For context, this is the only module I have been referred for. I study fashion marketing and branding and i’m (meant to be) going into my second year.

051AE265-2358-47DD-82D3-7DD74740475A.jpg.jpeg
Was there a specific requirement to pass the element of assessment that you missed? At some universities for certain modules a simple overall pass is not enough and you must pass certain assessments within that module too.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
I suspected the issue is that you "didn’t complete one element". The course likely requires that you get at least 40% in each element, and for one you have a grade of "zero" according to the above.
Original post by obrown212
I’ve just got my results back from my first year and it says that I’ve been referred and have to complete extra work for the module I have “failed”. I received a Mid 3rd for the module in question as I didn’t complete one element weighting 40% as I was recovering from a short illness, and for the coursework that was worth 60%, i received a high 2.2. I’ve raked through the student handbook more times than I can count to see if there’s something I’ve missed but at every single point they say that the minimum pass grade is a low 3rd, so why have I got to complete referral work when I have technically passed this module?

For context, this is the only module I have been referred for. I study fashion marketing and branding and i’m (meant to be) going into my second year.

051AE265-2358-47DD-82D3-7DD74740475A.jpg.jpeg

Hi @obrown212

Sorry to hear that's happened! If you haven't already, I'd recommend contacting your Course Leader, Personal Tutor, or School Administrator to discuss why you've been asked to complete a referral. After that, if you still feel like there's an irregularity with your grading and you meet one or more of the grounds for reconsideration, you can submit an academic appeal.

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any more questions 🙂

Best wishes,
Gurpreet - NTU Rep
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi.

The general rule is that you need 40%+ in the module to pass. However, most modules have compulsory elements, whether that be coursework, lab work, exams that must be passed at 40% to pass the module. So even if you got 45% in the module, if you haven’t completed the compulsory element of coursework then you cannot pass the module, however you have not failed because you have got a pass mark, so you just need to complete this element and your good to go.
If in doubt check with your college/faculty/tutor. They will know the course better than anyone on here :smile:
Take care
Phoenix

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending