The Student Room Group

Can I submit further criteria on resubs?

Hello, (this is for example) I got a resub on pass but for Merit and Distinction I got “not submitted” will I be able to submit Merit and Distinction criteria on resubs or not?
Original post by Masonn_xo
Hello, (this is for example) I got a resub on pass but for Merit and Distinction I got “not submitted” will I be able to submit Merit and Distinction criteria on resubs or not?

Yes, you will be able to submit for merit and distinction criteria too.

From BTEC Centre Guide to Internal Assessment (2023 - 2024):

"Are resubmissions capped at a Pass only?
No. If a learner meets the criteria for a resubmission opportunity and one is authorised, the learner should be given the opportunity to submit to the full range of the assessment criteria targeted by the Assignment. It is not necessary to resubmit the whole assignment, only the criteria identified as needing further work by the Assessor and Lead IV."
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Yes, you will be able to submit for merit and distinction criteria too.

From BTEC Centre Guide to Internal Assessment (2023 - 2024):

"Are resubmissions capped at a Pass only?
No. If a learner meets the criteria for a resubmission opportunity and one is authorised, the learner should be given the opportunity to submit to the full range of the assessment criteria targeted by the Assignment. It is not necessary to resubmit the whole assignment, only the criteria identified as needing further work by the Assessor and Lead IV."

I’m doing a level 3 IT course, would that matter as apparently my college keeps saying I cannot submit merits and distinctions in resubs when I obviously can.. (I think they got retaking confused with resubs)
(edited 4 months ago)
I’m doing a level 3 IT course, would that matter as apparently my college keeps saying I cannot submit merits and distinctions in resubs when I obviously can.. (I think they got retaking confused with resubs)

The guide I quoted from above lists the qualification it covers on page 3, and specifically lists BTEC Level 3 Nationals as being within scope of the guide. It therefore covers your course.

You will also find the same rules (albeit worded differently) in the 2022-23 version of the guide (here):

"Remember
A resubmission is another chance to undertake the same assignment and all criteria are available" (my emphasis)

As you've probably been made aware, there is a 15-day deadline for resubmissions. A few years ago, there was a rule that if you had missed that deadline, then your grade was limited to that of the first assessment. Perhaps that is where they are coming from? I believe that these days, if you miss the 15-day deadline, then the resubmission is simply invalidated and your original result stands. If you think you might have missed the 15-day deadline, let me know and I'll locate the current rules.

I suggest you forward them the document I linked to in post #2 and refer them to the section I quoted (which is on page 17). You could also refer them to last year's version, quoted above in this post. Ask them to evidence their decision - i.e. to quote from a BTEC rule-book or guidance document which back-ups their stance.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
The guide I quoted from above lists the qualification it covers on page 3, and specifically lists BTEC Level 3 Nationals as being within scope of the guide. It therefore covers your course.

You will also find the same rules (albeit worded differently) in the 2022-23 version of the guide (here):

"Remember
A resubmission is another chance to undertake the same assignment and all criteria are available" (my emphasis)

As you've probably been made aware, there is a 15-day deadline for resubmissions. A few years ago, there was a rule that if you had missed that deadline, then your grade was limited to that of the first assessment. Perhaps that is where they are coming from? I believe that these days, if you miss the 15-day deadline, then the resubmission is simply invalidated and your original result stands. If you think you might have missed the 15-day deadline, let me know and I'll locate the current rules.

I suggest you forward them the document I linked to in post #2 and refer them to the section I quoted (which is on page 17). You could also refer them to last year's version, quoted above in this post. Ask them to evidence their decision - i.e. to quote from a BTEC rule-book or guidance document which back-ups their stance.

Responding to the fourth paragraph, no that’s not what they meant. They meant I can only do the criteria that’s been labelled as “resubmission” on the criteria and i can’t submit anything that hasn’t been submitted originally on the resub, which I think is very unfair if it did actually worked like that, but BTEC does not say so, therefore their point is invalid.

If one of the assessors ended up only marking ones that were in the “resubmission” criteria (which would be Pass) rather than let’s say if I attempted Merit or Distinction on the resub (maybe I haven’t had time on the original assessment to do that), could I get an appeal or report it to BTEC or something?
Responding to the fourth paragraph, no that’s not what they meant. They meant I can only do the criteria that’s been labelled as “resubmission” on the criteria and i can’t submit anything that hasn’t been submitted originally on the resub, which I think is very unfair if it did actually worked like that, but BTEC does not say so, therefore their point is invalid.

If one of the assessors ended up only marking ones that were in the “resubmission” criteria (which would be Pass) rather than let’s say if I attempted Merit or Distinction on the resub (maybe I haven’t had time on the original assessment to do that), could I get an appeal or report it to BTEC or something?

You can contact Pearson/BTEC about this if you wish. They have a web form here which you can complete, or you can call them on 0345 618 0440.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending