The Student Room Group

Official: University of Worcester A101 2023 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I think chester haven't managed to secure funding whereas worcester has? so no? but I'm honestly not sure at this point
Called in today. The lady said they are to have an updated meeting on how many spaces are available.

Be aware, let's not add extra stress. It's a new medical school, maybe theyre waiting to give out interview offers quite late because theyre just trying to secure some more funding and spaces.
When are they gonna let us know if they’re opening for sure does anyone know?
Original post by UKtoJapan
Called in today. The lady said they are to have an updated meeting on how many spaces are available.

Be aware, let's not add extra stress. It's a new medical school, maybe theyre waiting to give out interview offers quite late because theyre just trying to secure some more funding and spaces.

yes that's true. That could be a possible reason too.
Original post by UKtoJapan

But this is somethign to find out before you claim you are open for applications, surely?
Original post by GANFYD
But this is somethign to find out before you claim you are open for applications, surely?

It’s definitely not all that promising, I would be worried about more organisational hiccups happening for the first cohort if it does ahead.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by GANFYD

I meant, they may have already had secured funding for a few UK spaces before they opened, and they may now also be applying for even more funding for student spaces. We'll just have to see.
Hi guys, I have some insider knowledge as I have a family member working at the uni who’s done some digging.

1) There are around 20 places available each year but due to last years applicants being deferred (I believe very few applied last year <20) the number of places depends on how many choose to take up their prior offered place this year, but there is expected to be around 10 places. The uni was expecting around 200 applicants for these places, however around 1500 were received and the uni has been overwhelmed and is struggling to deal with it.

2)There is a large emphasis (more so than the website may suggest) on three counties applicants, I.e. Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire residents because they have an agreement with the local nhs where they want more doctors to train and remain in these areas to support the local community. I think it is likely that if you do not have significant ties to these areas you may not get an interview (unless you have a very strong application or a lot of experience)

3) as it’s a new medical school that has not had a lot of advertisement as of yet, they have left the criteria for entry (I.e. ucat) intentionally quite vague in order to drum up applications, as the previous year they did not get many. This allows them to get a feel for the calibre of applicants that will be applying, and have a greater selection over who they give interviews/places to. My understanding is that they will now be frantically working out a way to cut down the number of applicants before the interview stage, and they may choose to do this via ucat scores, work experience and ties to the area etc.

Overall I think a lot of people are going to be turned away so in my honest opinion I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much.
The government hadn’t given them the places so the local nhs was going to fund some, on the condition that they were local students who would stay in the area. International was open because they pay huge tuition fees

Original post by craiok
Just from reading this thread a few people have commented that the GMC told them after giving offers out that they didn't have permission, so presumably withdrew the offers? With the deadline in 5 days I would love to apply to Worcester as it is close to home for me, but don't want to waste a place if they are going to have similar problems?
The deferrals take up some of those 20 places, expected to be less than 10 available for 1500 applicants

Original post by Holaamigo_123
The government hadn’t given them the places so the local nhs was going to fund some, on the condition that they were local students who would stay in the area. International was open because they pay huge tuition fees

Original post by socialtourist0
It’s been on the website that they were accepting home students during September they confirmed an email by someone here too - not sure exactly how early it was decided but it was available online
So there’s less than 20 places available including deferrals from last year
Yes this is right, the local nhs agreed to fund a few places for students who would stay locally

Original post by KMaisey
Worcester originally didn't open to home students, and then at the last minute they did open up to home students because i think they got some funding for a few spaces, that was presumably in the April.
Presumed wrong unfortunately, approx 1500 application for less than 10 places

Original post by bgt-9
Does anybody know how many places are available for home students?

I also imagine that there’ll be lower than average applications to Worcester due to it opening for home students very late into the application cycle.
Probably should have mentioned it in the personal statement as there’s going to be a big cut down on applicants to short list

Original post by bgt-9
Thanks. Does anyone also know how the holistic treatment works? I’m from the Three Counties and also have parents who didn’t attend HE, how will Worcester know this? Does it advantage you in any way at interview?
Yet further example of just how short sighted and out of touch med school admission really are.
Do they not talk to other med schools about the number of applicants they get? Or perhaps do a bit of research?
Last year, they did not even open to home applicants until after most people had made decisions, and it was not advertised, so of course they got very few applicants. This year, they were available on UCAS for all grads to choose, claim a low UCAT requirement, so of course they are going to get lots of applicants.
I totally despair of people who allegedly do this professionally, and get paid for it, then are "surprised" by what was obvious to anyone with half a brain! And this happens with med admissions at many places, not just here.
Nail on the head. they’ve ballsed it up from the start by interviewing last year without being awarded the places/funding by the government (and before the med school had actually been built lol) and now they are only just realising why other med schools make Ucat and other requirements very clear so that they don’t get an overload. Don’t mean to roast worc uni too harshly, but this is classic for them and not just for the med school. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if the lucky 5-10 people who get places this year have a rough time as the first cohort.
Hi guys, I have some insider knowledge as I have a family member working at the uni who’s done some digging.

1) There are around 20 places available each year but due to last years applicants being deferred (I believe very few applied last year <20) the number of places depends on how many choose to take up their prior offered place this year, but there is expected to be around 10 places. The uni was expecting around 200 applicants for these places, however around 1500 were received and the uni has been overwhelmed and is struggling to deal with it.

2)There is a large emphasis (more so than the website may suggest) on three counties applicants, I.e. Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire residents because they have an agreement with the local nhs where they want more doctors to train and remain in these areas to support the local community. I think it is likely that if you do not have significant ties to these areas you may not get an interview (unless you have a very strong application or a lot of experience)

3) as it’s a new medical school that has not had a lot of advertisement as of yet, they have left the criteria for entry (I.e. ucat) intentionally quite vague in order to drum up applications, as the previous year they did not get many. This allows them to get a feel for the calibre of applicants that will be applying, and have a greater selection over who they give interviews/places to. My understanding is that they will now be frantically working out a way to cut down the number of applicants before the interview stage, and they may choose to do this via ucat scores, work experience and ties to the area etc.

Overall I think a lot of people are going to be turned away so in my honest opinion I wouldn’t get your hopes up too much.

Well this uni is a write off then. But since I don't meet any of their preference criteria except for being the first person in my family with a degree I think its safe to say this one is a no.

Thanks for the info!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 76
Probably should have mentioned it in the personal statement as there’s going to be a big cut down on applicants to short list

Thankfully admissions have now uploaded notes to my application related to my address in Herefordshire and parents not attending HE.
Original post by marymedd
Hi, I was offered a place for 2022 intake and deferred. They were awarded NHS funding which meant that the 20 home (UK) students were always guaranteed a place at this uni, regardless of when the med school opened (be it 2022 or 2044). The allocated funding means the twenty spots are secured, which was confirmed in April or before, of this year. That is why they opened up the doors so late after the normal intake season. The reason it didn't go ahead this year wasn't because of funding, it was because the uni didn't meet GMC expectations. Offer holders were told this was because staff members could not be 'embedded' into the university sufficiently, given the tight turn around, and local hospitals might'n be able to accommodate students in a teaching capacity for the same reason. The late announcement of twenty extra students posed this dilemma. Still, it remains unknown whether this uni will meet GMC criteria to open in 2023. I'm sorry it wasn't clear that home entries would be so limited. It really does depend on the number of 2022 offer holders that deferred, and then accept, depending on the other offers they may receive. Like many small medical schools (such as Newcastle) the places are few and a high number of applicants is expected. If anyone has any Qs about the processes at Worcest, please ask away and I will be happy to answer! Hang in there x

Edit: I wouldn't back out if you aren't based the three counties. I think it's a 'consideration' criteria rather than exclusion.

Hi,
can I ask which inclusion criteria you met for worcester if you don't mind?
I honestly don’t know what everyone’s on about when they say the funding was based on local students staying in the area, there was no such requirement when we interviewed nor applied. They just preferred students from the local area because they’re more likely to stay there. They’re not gonna chain you down to the three counties if you want to leave after lol
Reply 79
Original post by Glob678
I honestly don’t know what everyone’s on about when they say the funding was based on local students staying in the area, there was no such requirement when we interviewed nor applied. They just preferred students from the local area because they’re more likely to stay there. They’re not gonna chain you down to the three counties if you want to leave after lol

😂 especially if in your training years, you can end up basically anywhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending