The Student Room Group
YEs
Quite an insensitive thing for someone to say when they saw your scars ngl.
Em first of all, it’s a mental health illness caused by depression or anxiety or something else so it’s not haram because you’re not doing it because you like it, you’re doing it out of pain. Please see a doctor about this, there are meds and there is therapy to help you. A human body is such a beautiful beautiful thing and so so special, it shouldn’t be damaged. But I understand you’re doing it out of pain so defo see a doctor to address the issue.
you should love yourself :frown:
Original post by abilitychanta
you should love yourself :frown:

comments like this don’t help OP or anyone else at all…
This topic is against TSR rules so be careful!
Original post by Honey57
Em first of all, it’s a mental health illness caused by depression or anxiety or something else so it’s not haram because you’re not doing it because you like it, you’re doing it out of pain. Please see a doctor about this, there are meds and there is therapy to help you. A human body is such a beautiful beautiful thing and so so special, it shouldn’t be damaged. But I understand you’re doing it out of pain so defo see a doctor to address the issue.

It is haram to hurt yourself but this is obviously a delicate situation that typically involves a (mental) health issue which alters the way you think. I don’t think that the individual who saw your scars responded in the most appropriate fashion but our bodies are an amanah (trust) from Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala. That being said self harm is a tricky subject and we don’t necessarily know if the individual doing this will be regarded as sinful for committing this action. I will leave you with this Hadith, Ali ibn Abi Talib reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “The pen is lifted from three people: a sleeping person until he awakens, a child until he becomes an adult, and an insane person until he regains his sanity.”

Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 1423.

May Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta’ala heal you and grant you ease.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Trigger warning - mention of previous self harm

Spoiler

it is haram.self harm is haram , whether that be cutting - even if theyre little scratches , smoking , drinking alcohol etc.
if you need to vent im listeing ,
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

Bit of a grey area. If there is no intent to kill yourself and the scars are not permanent, then it is not necessarily haram. There are obviously prohibitions against some types of suicide and permanently altering Allah's creation (so no tattoos, although circumcision is ok), but there doesn't appear to be anything that covers temporary self harm.

However, such actions are not healthy and professional help should be sought through teacher, counsellor, GP, etc - regardless of whether it is haram or not.
Reply 10
yes it is haram but i feel like its not that haram bc youre not doing it bc u want to. its haram bc youre harming the body allah gave u. youre ruining urself and Allah hates that, so try finding healthy skills to cope w ur mental illnesses. and try stoping sh and ik u can do it!! im so proud of you.
Please see your doctor about this
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #1

Spoiler

That’s true. Any sort of harm to yourself is haram.
Original post by Anonymous #1

Spoiler

I can't get involved in what the Quran says as I simply don't know.
However, that person should have said or done something to help you, rather than invalidate whatever you went through by using your religion to effectively gaslight you.
Original post by Honey57

It is haram

Latest

Trending

Trending