The Student Room Group

NEA English Lit

Please help I am starting to write my NEA in English i am doing it on 1984 and my question is 1984 is a protest text about the powerlessness of human beings against ruthless autocratic and totalitarian governments. i am really stuck on how to start or how to write this up. I have all my quotes and wider reading accessed I'm just so stuck on how to start it or continue it or finish
Original post by elliemaysmed
Please help I am starting to write my NEA in English i am doing it on 1984 and my question is 1984 is a protest text about the powerlessness of human beings against ruthless autocratic and totalitarian governments. i am really stuck on how to start or how to write this up. I have all my quotes and wider reading accessed I'm just so stuck on how to start it or continue it or finish

Hi, I have just finished my A Levels so I can give you some help. When I was writing my English NEA I made a really detailed plan of my points with the relevant quotes for each point and further analysis of the quote. This made it easier to get going. When I was ready to start writing, I chose the easiest point and started writing it, I left the introduction till the end when I had written up my points. By starting with your more easiest or confident point, it helped me get into the flow of writing.
Sorry for not being much help
Isabel
Reply 2
Thankyou this has been a massive help

Original post by Isabelhollands
Hi, I have just finished my A Levels so I can give you some help. When I was writing my English NEA I made a really detailed plan of my points with the relevant quotes for each point and further analysis of the quote. This made it easier to get going. When I was ready to start writing, I chose the easiest point and started writing it, I left the introduction till the end when I had written up my points. By starting with your more easiest or confident point, it helped me get into the flow of writing.
Isabel
Reply 3
Isabel

Hi EllieMay.

I'd say what you need to do is refine the title you're going to address in your NEA. At the moment, it seems a bit wide and vague.

Are you looking at '1984' alongside another text, too? If so, what? That would help you still further in making what you want to write about more focused.
Having a clear goal in mind makes writing your NEA easier; it should also give you a sense of direction, which will come through in your writing.

Ask yourself what it is you want to say about the idea of human protest against seemingly-impenetrable 'autocratic and totalitarian governments'. Are you going to just agree that resistance is futile? Or perhaps you might explore ways in which mankind will always define their own freedom, on whatever level that may be.

Remember, too, that Orwell's prophetic vision in '1984' is frighteningly real now. As readers, we are presented with a predominantly male viewpoint. Is that something you want to consider? That might also inform your choice of another text. (The obvious one to spring to mind is 'The Handmaid's Tale' (Margaret Atwood); predominantly female, but also 20th century.)

As a basic starting-point, I would look at the criteria and AOs for NEAs, which are found in the qualification's spec (publicly accessible on the exam board's website). If you clarify those for yourself, you'll have a better understanding of how to structure your NEA. You say you've extracted all your quotations. Are they just vaguely connected to your thinking? Establish a strong line of argument for yourself, and be aware of counter-viewpoints, in order to pre-empt questions about your claims. This will, in turn, refine your selection. Better to have fewer quotations, which are intelligently and relevantly explored.

There is much more to say, but I'll leave it here. If you want to come back to me, send me a message.

Whatever, good luck.
(edited 8 months ago)
Isabel
Im currently doing my AQA coursework as well and at around 2700 words so still around 10% to cut according to the 2500 word limit set by the examboard. Do you know if there is a certain % we can go over without getting points marked off? Or is it a must to stick to the 2500 word limit? Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by strawberrymoon
Im currently doing my AQA coursework as well and at around 2700 words so still around 10% to cut according to the 2500 word limit set by the examboard. Do you know if there is a certain % we can go over without getting points marked off? Or is it a must to stick to the 2500 word limit? Thanks!

Hi strawberrymoon

TBH, I'm not sure how strict the exam boards are with exceeding word limits. It used to be that they wouldn't just cut you off at the word limit, and read no further. Some flexibility existed, particularly in English Literature. However, they don't want NEAs where the students are just having a laugh with the word limit.

Part of the skill of writing is self-editing. I'm sure you've already done it, but read through your work again ... and again ... and again. There might be areas where you know you've overwritten, or you haven't stuck strictly to the focus of the title. If you can honestly say, though, that everything's relevant, then you're just going to have to be brutal.

If you want some help with that, message me with a copy of your work. I'll have a look at it for you, and weed it out a bit, as an ex-English teacher, independent second set of eyes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending