The Student Room Group

The Great Spanish Omelette betrayal, and other reflections on Nutrition

Hello everyone, this thread is a short reflection from me about carbohydrate content in food and glycaemic index.

I have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed 18 months ago.

This thread serves me as a reflection of some of the more obscure foods I eat and the effect is has on my blood glucose levels.

This thread might serve you if you are also a type 1 diabetic, this thread might also serve you if you are interested in the speed of digestion/absorption of different foods into the body. :smile:

I am not a health professional and I am not trained to provide dietary advice.
Are Spanish omelettes not good then?
If you are wondering why the thread title is as such, it is because I have just eaten half of a lovely Spanish omelette from LIDL

The carbohydrate content of the spanish omelette was 56g per 100g of omelette.
The total omelette was 500g.
So my portion was 250g.

56*2.5 = 140g of carbohydrate in what I was about to eat.
Normally, I would inject 14 units of insulin for this. However, after eating the other half yesterday and injecting too much, I chose to inject a mere 3 units today.

My BG has just crashed.

Hence, the betrayal of the omelette's nutritional information as to indicate my correct course of action :ashamed2:

Yesterday I could put the drop down to significant exercise. Today I haven't exercised at all, so it's difficult to attribute another cause beyond very high glycaemic index of carbohydrates in the Spanish omelette. This is especially true as I added cheese (strong in fat and protein), which slows down the absorption of the carbohydrate into my system.
Original post by EBluebear
Are Spanish omelettes not good then?

See above :smile:
(it was delicious)
Following this! :woo:

It would be nice if there was an app to tell you how many units of insulin is required if you scan the barcode.
Original post by KA_P
Following this! :woo:

It would be nice if there was an app to tell you how many units of insulin is required if you scan the barcode.

The units of insulin varies per person. So I work at a 1:10 ratio. I inject 1 unit for every 10g of carbs. Other people inject 2:10 or 3:10, and lots will have more detailed ratios.
Original post by 04MR17
The units of insulin varies per person. So I work at a 1:10 ratio. I inject 1 unit for every 10g of carbs. Other people inject 2:10 or 3:10, and lots will have more detailed ratios.

Ah that makes more sense, thank you for explaining
Original post by 04MR17
See above :smile:
(it was delicious)

You learn something new every day - I didn't know you could buy omelettes!

Quick Reply

Latest