The Student Room Group

Eligible for DSA?

I'm applying to Dentistry this year, and I was just looking at things to do with student finance out of curiosity. I know I'm ahead but it takes me a long time to do things, so I thought I'd ask my question now before it gets too close to the deadline.

I suffer from anxiety and have been identified as having a slow processing speed, and slow writing speed. (This could be linked to autism and/or ADHD. I'm not diagnosed and I'm not really interested in getting a formal diagnosis as I have low support needs and the access arrangements I need for those conditions are met through my anxiety and slow processing speed.) I get 25% extra time for these things, and all of these are detailed on my Form 8.

Would my Form 8 be sufficient to apply for DSA, or would I also need to go to my GP and ask for a letter regarding my anxiety? I've also seen a lot of conflicting info on whether slow processing speed in itself is regarded as a learning disability, and I'm not sure how I'd evidence the learning disability without having to wait years for a specific diagnosis that I don't want or need.
(edited 1 year ago)
I think you need a diagnosis but idk this: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/eligibility might help.
Original post by Talkative Toad
I think you need a diagnosis but idk this: https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa/eligibility might help.

I've had a look at this website but wanted clarification. I found I actually have two letters confirming I have anxiety and I believe the assessment from my school would fall under the right category, so I might be okay. The only way to find out for sure is to apply I suppose! Thank you for trying to help :smile:
Original post by cherryblossomed
I've had a look at this website but wanted clarification. I found I actually have two letters confirming I have anxiety and I believe the assessment from my school would fall under the right category, so I might be okay. The only way to find out for sure is to apply I suppose! Thank you for trying to help :smile:

Yeah probably need to apply and see if they ask for more evidence I guess 🤷🏾*♀️.
Reply 4
Original post by cherryblossomed
I'm applying to Dentistry this year, and I was just looking at things to do with student finance out of curiosity. I know I'm ahead but it takes me a long time to do things, so I thought I'd ask my question now before it gets too close to the deadline.

I suffer from anxiety and have been identified as having a slow processing speed, and slow writing speed. (This could be linked to autism and/or ADHD. I'm not diagnosed and I'm not really interested in getting a formal diagnosis as I have low support needs and the access arrangements I need for those conditions are met through my anxiety and slow processing speed.) I get 25% extra time for these things, and all of these are detailed on my Form 8.

Would my Form 8 be sufficient to apply for DSA, or would I also need to go to my GP and ask for a letter regarding my anxiety? I've also seen a lot of conflicting info on whether slow processing speed in itself is regarded as a learning disability, and I'm not sure how I'd evidence the learning disability without having to wait years for a specific diagnosis that I don't want or need.

Hi, I am in a similar situation and was wondering if you ever found an answer? I have slow processing speed but am in the process of getting an autism diagnosis

Latest