The Student Room Group

Anki for A-level biology

I've been using anki since the start of year 12, due to me hearing how good it is from other students. For my end of my year exams anki proved to work really well for chemistry and physics (for which I use the textbook my school recommended to make the cards), but hasn't worked for Biology - I still did well, but not as well as I hoped. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they made anki flashcards for A-level Bio and if there is anything I'm doing wrong (I use the school recommended textbook for this as well). I do OCR A, so any mentioned resources would help a lot!
Original post by qwerty78989
I've been using anki since the start of year 12, due to me hearing how good it is from other students. For my end of my year exams anki proved to work really well for chemistry and physics (for which I use the textbook my school recommended to make the cards), but hasn't worked for Biology - I still did well, but not as well as I hoped. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they made anki flashcards for A-level Bio and if there is anything I'm doing wrong (I use the school recommended textbook for this as well). I do OCR A, so any mentioned resources would help a lot!

would you consider uploading your a level chem flashcards?
I feel like when it comes to making the cards, it’s important not to just rely on memorisation. It’s very easy to get lost from the bigger concepts when using Anki. I noticed the same thing when doing my A-levels last year. What I mean in simple terms is that instead of focusing on fine little details, try getting an understanding of the bigger picture. This normally would require a bit more external help; YouTube is a great and fantastic resource to use if you’re struggling understanding something (I recommend BioRach on there). When writing out the cards, write out the whole processes, understand it and memorise. Opposed to just one-word/one sentenced answers.

Once you feel like you have understood something, again, you want to start thinking about how it’s going to be tested. First and foremost, what I did was download the specification to see what the examiner would most likely be looking for in the answers. Aid your flashcards so that it’s almost directly correlated to what the specification is wanting of you. Until you get to a point where you can explain each point in the specification, and how the content is likely to be tested.

Do a bunch of past papers. Don’t just rely on Anki if you feel like it isn’t giving you the results you’re after. What I did was I tried screenshotting the common questions and made sure I knew EXACTLY what the mark scheme wanted.

Good luck. I got an A* in OCR A bio, hopefully this helped. :yy:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by CaptainDuckie
I feel like when it comes to making the cards, it’s important not to just rely on memorisation. It’s very easy to get lost from the bigger concepts when using Anki. I noticed the same thing when doing my A-levels last year. What I mean in simple terms is that instead of focusing on fine little details, try getting an understanding of the bigger picture. This normally would require a bit more external help; YouTube is a great and fantastic resource to use if you’re struggling understanding something (I recommend BioRach on there). When writing out the cards, write out the whole processes, understand it and memorise. Opposed to just one-word/one sentenced answers.

Once you feel like you have understood something, again, you want to start thinking about how it’s going to be tested. First and foremost, what I did was download the specification to see what the examiner would most likely be looking for in the answers. Aid your flashcards so that it’s almost directly correlated to what the specification is wanting of you. Until you get to a point where you can explain each point in the specification, and how the content is likely to be tested.

Do a bunch of past papers. Don’t just rely on Anki if you feel like it isn’t giving you the results you’re after. What I did was I tried screenshotting the common questions and made sure I knew EXACTLY what the mark scheme wanted.

Good luck. I got an A* in OCR A bio, hopefully this helped. :yy:

Thank you so much, this helped a lot!
Original post by randomperson12
would you consider uploading your a level chem flashcards?

Maybe when I finish my a-levels I will. Though I can't speak for everyone, but I'd really recommend you making your own cards (and if you don't have enough time, try a different method of revision) because I've made my cards in a specific way that is easy for me to understand, which I don't think many others will.
Original post by qwerty78989
Maybe when I finish my a-levels I will. Though I can't speak for everyone, but I'd really recommend you making your own cards (and if you don't have enough time, try a different method of revision) because I've made my cards in a specific way that is easy for me to understand, which I don't think many others will.

I second this advice, very useful. :smile:
For biology I kind of wrote the flashcards in exam question style using information from the textboom like:
What is the independent stage of photosynthesis (6 points)? Then have 6 bullet points for the answers

You can also use image occlusion to hide parts of diagrams which u can then memorise that way. You probably know all the information but havent written it the way the mark scheme wants it so practice exam questions especially. In chemistry I got away with just memorising the textbook for the most part.

Another good thing is to read examiner reports they help alot
Original post by lilhuddy
For biology I kind of wrote the flashcards in exam question style using information from the textboom like:
What is the independent stage of photosynthesis (6 points)? Then have 6 bullet points for the answers

You can also use image occlusion to hide parts of diagrams which u can then memorise that way. You probably know all the information but havent written it the way the mark scheme wants it so practice exam questions especially. In chemistry I got away with just memorising the textbook for the most part.

Another good thing is to read examiner reports they help alot

Hi, how did you memorise big flashcards like that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending