The Student Room Group

Do you have to pay for a level 3 college course if it’s your first time

Hi there, it’s my first post here and I need some help since I’m panicking with college around the corner and I still need to finalise some stuff

I’m 19 and I’ll be starting a level 3 course this September. Will I have to pay for it or not. It’s my first ever level 3 course and I’ve heard that if it’s your first then it’s free but I’m panicky and I could do with someone in the same situation as me giving me some advice please

Thank you in advance
Original post by Dylbert099
Hi there, it’s my first post here and I need some help since I’m panicking with college around the corner and I still need to finalise some stuff

I’m 19 and I’ll be starting a level 3 course this September. Will I have to pay for it or not. It’s my first ever level 3 course and I’ve heard that if it’s your first then it’s free but I’m panicky and I could do with someone in the same situation as me giving me some advice please

Thank you in advance

Just email your college and ask. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be free as you said it’s your first level 3 course.

Thank you in advance

Check the web site of the college your planning to study at for a definitive answer. The below is from this page from The Bedford College Group's web site. The emphasis is my own.

If you are aged 16-18 on 31 August 2021, a British or European Union resident and looking to study at Level 2 and Level 3, the tuition fees and any exam registration fees are FREE, except Access to Higher Education courses where a fee may be charged.

If you are aged 19 to 23 on 31 August 2021 and looking to study your first full-time Level 2 or Level 3 qualification, the tuition fee will be free. If you are aged 19 or above on 31 August 2021 and already have a Level 3 qualification or if you are aged 24 or over, you will need to pay a fee. You may be eligible to apply for an Advanced Leaner Loan. This will be dependent on the Level 3 programme you choose to study.

The above (in bold) would tend to suggest that if you've studied a level 2 qualification before, then your first level 3 qualification will not be free.

If in doubt, call the college and ask.

Thank you in advance

@PQ can you please advise?
If you’re over 19 then you’ll usually have to pay but can get an advanced learner loan to cover the costs.
There’s some exemptions for some l3 qualifications if it’s your first L3 qualification but it’s best to check with your course provider. Often the exemptions are only available for council run adult education centres and not all exam centres.
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
If you’re over 19 then you’ll usually have to pay but can get an advanced learner loan to cover the costs.
There’s some exemptions for some l3 qualifications if it’s your first L3 qualification but it’s best to check with your course provider. Often the exemptions are only available for council run adult education centres and not all exam centres.

Spoke with my teacher from lv2 who did the interviews and decides who moved up to level 3 today and she says that she believes I should be okay for funds and that she’s sent out an inquiry just to be on the safe side

What does that mean. Does that mean I don’t have to pay the funds as off now
Spoke with my teacher from lv2 who did the interviews and decides who moved up to level 3 today and she says that she believes I should be okay for funds and that she’s sent out an inquiry just to be on the safe side

What does that mean. Does that mean I don’t have to pay the funds as off now

Well she is double checking but it sounds like you will not have to pay.Just wait for her confirmation.Fingers crossed.
Reply 7
An update on my situation. She messaged back yesterday saying that i have to apply for the student loan. Since my course starts on the 5th September can I still start my course whilst applying for it since i wont have the funds for it by the time my course starts

I read online and on my college page that you can apply for your student loan up to 9 months after your course starts so does that mean I’d start the course as normal with no fee and then I’d apply for the student loan as normal.

Thanks in advance. I’m nervous since it’s my first time and college is around the corner and I suffer from bad social anxiety. That’s why I’m asking soo many questions
I would apply for loan asap and then turn up for college as normal. Just for peace of mind inform your tutor of this and ask if this is okay.
It is normal to be nervous but at least you know the college and some staff. By the way asking questions is a positive trait. How else are you going to find things out. :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Scotney
I would apply for loan asap and then turn up for college as normal. Just for peace of mind inform your tutor of this and ask if this is okay.
It is normal to be nervous but at least you know the college and some staff. By the way asking questions is a positive trait. How else are you going to find things out. :smile:

I can’t since I haven’t had the student loan letter that they give you that you need in order to apply for the student loan.

I’m going down to college on the 31st since that’s when 19+courses are enrolling people and the student loan stuff will be going on there so I’ll ask them how to apply for student loan and hope they give me that letter and tell me what to do

My worry is that since I’m enrolled already and my course starts on the 5th and I haven’t been able to apply for a student loan yet, they’ll tell me I have to pay upfront which is something I obviously can’t do. It’s stressing me out ngl
I can’t since I haven’t had the student loan letter that they give you that you need in order to apply for the student loan.

I’m going down to college on the 31st since that’s when 19+courses are enrolling people and the student loan stuff will be going on there so I’ll ask them how to apply for student loan and hope they give me that letter and tell me what to do

My worry is that since I’m enrolled already and my course starts on the 5th and I haven’t been able to apply for a student loan yet, they’ll tell me I have to pay upfront which is something I obviously can’t do. It’s stressing me out ngl

I understand that but think it is highly unlikely. The college have to recruit people for courses and given that your tutor did not know this it is understandable you did not either. I am no HE expert but unis let you start if your SFE has not come through at start of term so I doubt college will be different. They cannot make you pay there and then if you have not got it so the best thing is to relax and treat it like a fact finding mission re loans. Let me know how you get on
Original post by Scotney
I understand that but think it is highly unlikely. The college have to recruit people for courses and given that your tutor did not know this it is understandable you did not either. I am no HE expert but unis let you start if your SFE has not come through at start of term so I doubt college will be different. They cannot make you pay there and then if you have not got it so the best thing is to relax and treat it like a fact finding mission re loans. Let me know how you get on

Thanks for the reassurance. I’ll come back and put my update on here on the 31st when I’ve been down to ask about it. Thank you
Original post by Scotney

Update: I got it sorted out. The process went a lot better than I thought it was gonna go

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending