The Student Room Group

Funding for 16 year old British passport holding living in Asia

I was born and live in UK. My 16 year old son has been brought up in Thailand but has a British passport. I want him now to come to London to live with me for 16 - 18 year old further education and beyond. He has never lived in UK . Will he be eligible for free a levels or technical courses at the local college?
Hi there,

Your son would need to live in the UK for 3 years prior to 1st day of the there 1st academic year of their course before they would be eligible for funding with us.

Thanks, Drew
Reply 2
Thank you very much for reply. It’s a real problem because my son has to come to London, his mother no longer wants to look after him and I can not afford to pay to send him to 16 - 18 year old education. I believe it’s the law now kids between this age have to be in education at least part time and he won t be able to get a full time job so I m not sure what he s expected to do with his days while waiting 3 years.
Original post by Bay1972
Thank you very much for reply. It’s a real problem because my son has to come to London, his mother no longer wants to look after him and I can not afford to pay to send him to 16 - 18 year old education. I believe it’s the law now kids between this age have to be in education at least part time and he won t be able to get a full time job so I m not sure what he s expected to do with his days while waiting 3 years.

The reply above is in relation to eligibility for funding for degree courses in the UK. For further education, contact your local council and/or local schools and colleges regarding admissions. I don't think there will be an issue if your son is a British passport holder.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
The reply above is in relation to eligibility for funding for degree courses in the UK. For further education, contact your local council and/or local schools and colleges regarding admissions. I don't think there will be an issue if your son is a British passport holder.
Thank you for your reply. My son doesn’t want to go to university. He is interested in trade courses at the local college in London. I am getting mixed answers looking online. I emailed the college which said 16-18years old are funded by the uk government but did not address my query whether my son because he hadn t lived in uk for 3 years would still qualify. Your answer seems to confirm that as long as my son has a British passport he can enroll for a course aged 16 at the college free? Is that correct? Many thanks
Original post by Bay1972
Thank you for your reply. My son doesn’t want to go to university. He is interested in trade courses at the local college in London. I am getting mixed answers looking online. I emailed the college which said 16-18years old are funded by the uk government but did not address my query whether my son because he hadn t lived in uk for 3 years would still qualify. Your answer seems to confirm that as long as my son has a British passport he can enroll for a course aged 16 at the college free? Is that correct? Many thanks

The 3-year rule for living in the UK only applies to funding for higher education courses at uni. If your son is a British citizen (being a passport holder), then there should be no tuition fees for further education courses for under 19s.
Reply 6
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending