The Student Room Group

The Current Year 12 Chat Thread (2022-2023)

Hi Guys!

Welcome to the current year 12 thread for 2022-2023.

We’ve finally finished secondary school and are about to start our A-Levels. How are you all feeling?

**Let’s introduce ourselves**

-What A-Levels are you taking?
-Are you thinking of doing an EPQ?
-Any hobbies or interests?
-Plans after sixth form/college?
-Marvel or DC?
-Best secondary school memories?
-Favourite revision resource?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi. I'm excited to start A Levels but I'm also quite nervous. Everyone talks about the workload and how it's so much harder than GCSEs and it's not really helping with the move up:frown:

Law, Psychology and Religious Studies

I'm considering it but I want to see how well I settle into A Levels before properly thinking of anything else.

Dress history/sewing in general is a major one. I started learning both 2 1/2 years ago and it is a never-ending well of interest for me :biggrin: I also collect old stuff like cassette tapes and magazines.

I'm hoping to study Criminology at university!

-Marvel or DC?

Neither. To be honest, I don't even know the difference .......

Doing stupid stuff with my mates, probably.

Honestly just reading the textbooks helps me the most. I have quite a good memory and when I read something, I often remember it just like that. Though, of course, it does make me look obsessed at times:s-smilie:

--Nice to meet all the people who see this! I hope I've done this right lol. I've browsed on this website so much in the past but I've only just made an account.
Original post by oliviapope1
Hi Guys!

We’ve finally finished secondary school and are about to start our A-Levels. How are you all feeling?

-Marvel or DC?

hey I’m Sarah :smile:

for my a levels I am taking:
biology
chemistry
maths
religious studies
i’m not that interested in an EPQ lol
i’ve been into reading recently, and going on walks as well as mindfulness practices combined with some yoga
after sixth form i want to be happy, at a university in London studying my dream course..Medicine! bet you could tell from my a level choices lmao
icl i’ve no clue anything about marvel or dc so i’ll skip this one
my favourite high school memory was actually during exam season! the vibes were there and though we were all stressing we were stressing together 🤝 when we didn’t have exams we’d mess about around school, go to shops and just chill
my favourite revision resource is physicsandmathstutor :smile: and also MyGCSEScience was SO GOOD i so wish they had an a level version they helped me to achieve 9-9-9 in science and i’m forever grateful!
Original post by 005lyd

Neither. To be honest, I don't even know the difference

nooo, marvel all the way. i’m heartbroken😭

good luck with your a levels though. i hope you do really well! <3
just realised that i forgot to introduce myself:cool:

hi i’m liv (obvs not my real name but..)

a levels: chemistry, biology, history (maybe an epq)
hobbies/interests: going to the gym, reading, watching shows
plans after sixth form: go to uni and study medicine
marvel or dc: 10000% marvel
best secondary school memories: definitely the whole of year 11. i truly had the best time throughout the whole year, it was as if the pressure of the exams and the time away from each other just brought everyone closer together
favourite revision resource: well for my gcses i absolutely adored freesciencelessons. he’s not really a revision resource but he helped me through my gcse science exams. i don’t think i’m going to waste my time making flash cards again but i will try to implement active recall and spaced repetition whilst doing my a levels
I'm taking French, German, Politics and History and not doing an EPQ. Right now I'm also into reading (currently reading 1984) and listening to music (mostly cheesy french pop). After sixth form I hope to go to Warwick Uni to study Modern Languages (specifically advanced French and beginners italian) although I don't think I'll meet the grades. Don't really like Marvel or DC but I love Scarlett Johanssen and Florence Pugh so we'll go Marvel. Best secondary school memory was either results day getting my french and german back or laughing hysterically in a German class to the point where I had to get smacked on the back of the head by my friend. Personally I love using quizlet tests and making mind maps. Good luck with A levels everyone :smile:
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Hiya! I’m now on a gap year, having finished year 13.

I have summarised my advice for A levels here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7253201&p=97549790&page=2#post97549790
Reply 7
good luck with your a levels though. i hope you do really well! <3

haha thanks! Good luck to you too xx

Original post by chloe257
I'm taking French, German, Politics and History and not doing an EPQ. Right now I'm also into reading (currently reading 1984) and listening to music (mostly cheesy french pop). After sixth form I hope to go to Warwick Uni to study Modern Languages (specifically advanced French and beginners italian) although I don't think I'll meet the grades. Don't really like Marvel or DC but I love Scarlett Johanssen and Florence Pugh so we'll go Marvel. Best secondary school memory was either results day getting my french and german back or laughing hysterically in a German class to the point where I had to get smacked on the back of the head by my friend. Personally I love using quizlet tests and making mind maps. Good luck with A levels everyone :smile:

Ooh I loved 1984! Are you enjoying it?
Original post by 005lyd
haha thanks! Good luck to you too xx

Ooh I loved 1984! Are you enjoying it?

Yeah honestly more than I thought I would. I initially started reading it because I was going to take English lit but I switched to German. But now I am really enjoying it - to the point where I need to put it down and do some bridging work!
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Great to see this!

Good luck for your next year everyone :smile:
hi! im excited but nervous to start year 12 !

i'm taking chemistry, physics and maths

nope
i reading, playing games, watching netflix
hopefully uni
-Marvel or DC?
ive been to warner bros in hollywood and the dc collection was amazing but i have to say marvel
year 10 :smile:

past papers !
Reply 11
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Hey. I'm mesub.

1) Maths, Computer Science, Economics
2) They force us to do it here lol, unless you're doing further maths.
3) Computer Science/Something networking at uni.
4) Neither lol, not a massive superhero person
5) Being on TV!
6) GCSEPod for science was quite cool, Mathswatch and craign'dave were good too.
7) I'm a little bit of a notes guy to review stuff, but practise is good as well.
A-Levels:
- OCR Chemistry
- OCR Physics
- Edexcel Mathematics
- Edexcel Further Mathematics [to be confirmed as they'll only run the course if there's enough interest]

Are you thinking of doing an EPQ?
- Most likely not. If I do FM that'll be my 4 A-Levels sorted anyways, and if I don't, I really don't feel I'd get much benefit as none of the unis I want to go to give reduced offers based on EPQs.

Any hobbies or interests?
- History [Police states, Napoleonic wars]
- Programming [Been doing it since year 4]
- Organic chemistry [God I'm sad]
- Anything to do with technology [And yet I use my phone less than my 70-year-old grandma]

Plans after sixth form/college?
- Uni, but I'd like to try and get a degree apprenticeship if possible. I want to do a degree in some form of engineering or computer science, but I don't know yet.

Marvel or DC?
- Don't watch superhero films, don't know what either of those are.

Best secondary school memories?
- Don't have any. Details in the spoiler if you absolutely must have them.

Spoiler

Favourite revision resource?
- Flashcards all the way for content subjects. I use digital ones as my physical ones like to disappear and never return.
- Practice questions for exam technique and mathematical subjects. Hated my teachers for it at the time, realise it was really helpful in hindsight.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hey! I’m willow. Took art, applied science and geography last year in year 12 and absolutely didn’t go well. Now I’m resitting year 12 but I’m doing it at college studying childcare :smile:
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Hi, I'm Daisy!
I'm taking English Lit, English Lang and German
I think I might do an EPQ but honestly don't know much about it
I love reading, watching films and shows and stuff, I try my best to write poetry but inspiration is currently lacking!
No clue about plans after college, I don't even know if I want to go to uni so sort of just going with the flow currently
Definitely Marvel
Best secondary school memories were doing revision sessions after school and having a laugh with my friends while revising
Favourite revision resource is probably quizlet or just writing out all my notes in active recall

I'm incredibly nervous about going to college, but also so excited to start learning again and feeling like an adult!
Original post by zeasea
Best secondary school memories?
- Don't have any. Details in the spoiler if you absolutely must have them.

Spoiler

oh no, i’m really sorry that happened to you. are you going to a different sixth form/college to do your a levels?

i hope everything works out for you. good luck!!
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Quick disclaimer

Greeting

Answering the icebreaker questions

Extra icebreaker questions which I made myself

Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

Hi! My name is Violet, and I am so excited to start year 12!! :biggrin:

I am taking English LIterature (OCR), History (AQA), and Spanish (AQA), and I am planning on doing an EPQ on the Spanish Civil War! :h:
(I love reading historical fiction, and I am obsessed with Blackpink atm! :lovedup:)

After Sixth Form, I would love to go to either Oxford or Cambridge to study History and English, or English and Spanish!! :biggrin:

Marvel > DC!

My favourite secondary school memory, was after my final GCSE exam, we had an entire day in school to ourselves, to say goodbye to teachers, and our classmates. We could go anywhere we wanted (in reason), and it was just such a lovely day.

My favourite revision resource is Quizlet!!
Hi Guys!

-Marvel or DC?

I'm Wenpei, I'm feeling so anxious because the sixth form I'm going to is a couple of roads away from my secondary school (which has a sixth form). I changed places because I want to learn and study in a new environment where I'm not with my friends. I wished I chose a college than a sixth form, coming to a different sixth form people already have their friends group and you would just look like an outsider. I'm a bit worried about making it now, I'm starting on the 5th Sep. :/
I will be taking Maths, Further Maths, Sociology and History(quite a strange combination)
Haven't thought about it.
I'm interested in singing and gaming, I would sing and play video games in my free time.
To go to my dream uni, if I don't I still have a few unis in mind.
-Marvel or DC?
Marvel for sure, big spiderman fan.
Having so many amazing people surrounding me, especially joining a friend group during the pandemic that I'm comfortable being with.
Revision guides (a bit concerned about the AS/A level books- a bit pricey and not sure what books are great), youtube videos and making revision flashcards (though they are a pain to make, it helps me as I remember stuff by writing).
Hey, I'm Nyanomii (called this for obvs privacy reasons). I'm also from the Y11 chat thread.

Righty...

A-Levels
-Computer Science
-Electrical and Electronic Engineering
-Japanese Certificate
EPQ
Never heard of that before. But now I know what it is, I'm not really sure.
Hobbies & Interests
-Drawing
-Animating
-Making things with my hands (that's why I'm doing E&E Engineering)
Plans after sixth form/college
Hoping to go to uni to do something in Engineering
Marvel or DC
I don't really have any intrest in any of them
Best secondary school memories
If I did have any, they've been hidden by one memory that ruined secondary for me. Yeah. I'm not going into details.
Favourite revision resource
-YouTube videos
-Flashcards
-Seneca and Quizlet
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest